“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Lausanne
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent 5 days at the Jamahkiri this summer, and what an amazing time we had there! The location, the staff, the snorkling with black-tip reef sharks just in front of the hotel, the little Eagle's view restaurant with the fresh barracuda served with a local beer... a lot of great pleasures!

You will also enjoy an excellent breakfast, delicious thai salads by the superb pool, a nice barbecue by the sea and, of course, the snorkeling/diving tour around the island on the resort's special boat is a must! I almost forgot the spa, where my partner enjoyed "the best ever facial massage of her life!"

Trying to be very difficult, on could point out that a lot of the corals are dead in the bay... but the presence of amazing fishes & sharks still makes it well worth a dive or a snorkel !

Room Tip: All rooms have an amazing seaview!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Importance_of_living

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

It is so worth the effort to get there!
We caught the ferry from Koh Samui (there are two daily fast ferry departures, 12.30 and 1.30pm - I think!). We were unloaded from the ferry into the heat and bustle of the wharf at Koh Tao....and there was our driver, right on time. We wound our way to Jamahkiri, only a few minutes away but in another world. Jamahkiri stretches down a steep hillside with panoramic views from everywhere, including all the rooms I could see. It manouvers its way around gigantic rocks which add interest and intrigue at every turn. The reception/restaurant are perched at the top. Pool/spa and eating areas are below, then lovely rooms are nestled down the hill to the private beach/boardwalk and diving areas. Must mention the rooftop bar with a generous happy hour(s) and magnificent views over the bay and ocean.
As soon as we arrived we went snorkelling straight below our room. The dive centre offers very cheap snorkel gear to hire. The coral suffered a recent heatwave and bleached. New coral is regenerating so be careful where you stand. There were loads of fish (see photos), small black tipped reef sharks and even turtles. The snorkel trip around the island the next morning was wonderful - book it at the hotel dive centre. We were given lovely fresh fruit on the boat and plenty of water. Don't forget your sunblock or wear a tee shirt/suntop. We swam out from our room every morning and late afternoon, there was so much to see. It is safe and fun to swim right across the bay, there are different fish on the other side. We made some great friends and we all met for swims to view the sharks. The sharks just swim away so all my photos are from behind them!
William (the manager) was very helpful and joined us for drinks one evening. He made sure all was well every day.
Breakfast was delicious each morning and the staff were excellent.
Our room had a fantastic view. There are lots of steps and we enjoyed the exercise - all with a beautiful view.
We did not even leave the resort which is very unusual for our family. We like to explore. There was lots to occupy us all. We walked over the top driveway one evening and had a lovely meal at Eagles View.
Jamahkiri is a place I would love to take all our family back to visit and I have recommended it to our friends.

Room Tip: All have wonderful views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank kiwisfly
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I'm a bit late writing this review (my husband and I visited in April this year) but I am planning another trip to Asia and was day dreaming about this beautiful hotel and felt I had to share my thoughts. It took us forever to actually reach the hotel from Koh Samui as we were put on the wrong ferry (that's a polite way of saying we were ripped off) and we arrived extremely hot and bothered when we arrived in Koh Tao. I had booked this hotel last minute when we were staying in Koh Samui as I had read a few reviews and wanted to do a side trip from Samui. The communication before we arrived at the hotel was excellent, we arrived late but we were still picked up from the pier by the hotel, and driven up to the hotel. Some people have moaned about the trip up to the hotel, but really not sure why as it took less than half an hour. Yes it was bumpy and slightly hair raising but it's all part of the adventure! I was in agony as I had got bitten in Samui and was on antibiotics for an abscess on my leg, was tired, hot and grumpy, but I still saw the drive up there as a bit of fun. When we arrived it was like entering paradise. We were given a delicious drink and towels to cool down, our bags were whisked off and we were shown to a beautiful room overlooking Shark Bay. It was so stunning, with wooden floors and a huge bath with awesome views, a massive comfortable bed, a minibar stocked up with lots of amazing treats, and a balcony overlooking the bay. The manager greeted us personally when we arrived, which I thought was lovely, and we chatted to him for about an hour at the pool bar. What a lovely man, he really cares passionately about this hotel and guests. When we told him we had been duped by a woman at the pier in Samui he personally made sure he booked us ferry tickets back on the fast ferry.

We spent the rest of the afternoon lazing by the pool drinking cocktails. It was heaven. I am so fussy when it comes to hotels. My husband and I work extremely hard, and all my spare money goes into saving up for once in a lifetime trips like this, so I don't like being let down by bad service and rubbish hotels. I can safely say that this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, it's a stunning place.

Other reviewers have also moaned about the steepness of the steps - the hotel is built into a cliff so it can be a trek around the resort. Personally I loved it - I didn't mind the trek up to the pool (even though my leg was in agony from being bitten) - it just made me appreciate the pool even more when I got there! If you have any trouble walking I'd contact the hotel in advance so you can get a room near the pool/restaurant etc.

The restaurant was amazing as well - the breakfast was so delicious, and the dinner was out of this world. Everything seemed so inexpensive compared to England so I thought it was all a bargain.

Another amazing perk of staying at this hotel was seeing sharks from the bedroom balcony! The manager (really sorry I can't remember his name) told us to look out at about 9ish as this is the time the sharks are usually about. We were amazed to see sharks swimming about below us, I was slightly terrified when we kayaked over to the beach from the hotel as I was convinced I was going to knock one on the head with my oar!! Luckily this didn't happen though and we made it to the beach in one piece.

I wish I could go back to Jamahkiri tomorrow. My husband and I reminisce about this place all the time. We only stayed a night but we hope to go back some day.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony overlooking Shark Bay - well worth the extra money
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank xx x
Pattaya, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Literally everything there is beautiful, well thouhht and well maintained. Very interactive staff and signature cuisine. The only uneasy point is that the premises are located on the rocks - so ycu have to expect a lot of steps climbing - for instance, to reach the reception from my room would take you 8 floors :-) - but thatis a great fitness exercise too! And of course the view and he sea there make you forget anything negative in a minute

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Victor K
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were greeted at the dock by our driver who took our luggage and loaded up the truck. The ride to the hotel was exciting with lots of climbs and dips but at no point did I feel unsafe. It was concrete the whole way and you get some glimpses of the water as you wind through the roads. Upon arrival, we were greeted with koi ponds and beautiful foliage that made us feel like we had arrived at paradise. We were all amazed at how well the resort was integrated with the mountain - and yes, since it’s built into the side of a mountain, there are a bunch of steps. You might be huffing and puffing a bit by the top, but by then you’re at the pool or the spa =).

The staff was some of the friendliest staff we’ve ever met. Our first introduction to the resort was Pure, the joking, fun-loving receptionist who really made us feel welcome. He provided us with ice cold towels to fight the heat and a sweet fruit drink. Later we met the hotel manager, William, who made sure our stay was going as well as can be. He chatted with us at dinner and if we ran into him around the resort, but we didn’t find him invasive. He gave a good recommendation on wine and some pointers of where to snorkel. We also liked joking around with Zengo, a member of the staff who we mainly ran into at breakfast.

Rooms were much more spacious than we expected or even needed. The balconies face the water for amazing views and the bathrooms had plenty of space. The staff kept it very tidy, however the beds were just a little firm for our taste.

All meals were a great mix of Thai and Western choices, and everything we had was delicious. The first night we were overwhelmed by all the delicious choices on the menu, but luckily we’d return again and again. We’d recommend the massaman curry, cashew chicken, or beef lasagna for dinner. The goat cheese salad at lunch was also quite delicious. Service itself was a bit slow, but we didn’t mind so much since we were there for a laid back vacation.

Drinks were well prepared and had a good variety. There was a decent wine selection and watch out for the cognac! Combined with our jetlag, I’m not really sure what happened that night =). One night, we did make a trip down to Haad Tien and that was quite tasty as well.

We were able to jump right off the dock with some snorkel gear and a kayak and explore the coral around the base of the resort. While the coral itself isn’t too interesting, there’s still a bunch of pretty fish to see and the occasional (harmless) shark. For some even better views, we’d highly recommend taking the quick trip over to Koh Nang Yuan on the west side of Koh Tao.

As for stuff to do in the resort, the pool was perfect for lounging around and taking a dip when it got too hot. The views are spectacular with the occasional waterfall and bar and lunch served right there.

The spa was a great break and we took advantage of it every day. The swedish and thai massages, facials, and the tea afterwards were just what we needed. Truly a relaxing experience.

Overall, it was an amazing trip that we hope to return to someday. A couple people in our group were rallying to extend our stay a few nights since it was just so wonderful. Kudos to everyone at Jamakhiri, they really made our stay in Thailand incredibly memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ivanyl
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I absolutely love this hotel. It’s amazing! The views, the food, the service, the location. Personally I think it’s the best hotel on Ko Tao. We even enjoyed the bumpy ride to and from the hotel in the 4x4s. The hotel also provided a very useful shuttle service to and from the main town as the hotel itself is located a bit far out, but for us that was the appeal. We rented a quad one day but then returned it as we didn’t think the breaks would stop us (they were worn out anyhow) when going down the hill to the hotel. The shuttle service served our needs well, although perhaps it would be useful if there was one returning a bit later than 21:30 We have so many incredible memories from this hotel that I don’t know where to start. The view from our room was amazing and the rooms were well presented and tidy. The attention to detail is what sets this hotel apart and there is lots of interesting features like the ‘elephant’ rock and the ‘monkey statues’. In addition, the rooftop lounge serves a fantastic Mai Tai and some really tasty mini peanuts. The staff were extremely friendly and always said 'sawatdeet' as we walked past the pool. It's such a tranquil, relaxing location. We also went snorkelling with ‘friendly’ reef sharks in the bay below the hotel which was something we will never forget. I also recommend a trip to the restaurant eagle view behind the hotel. We ate fresh fish with the best sauce we have ever tried and it was simply described as ‘salt and pepper sauce’. If I could discover the recipe for this I would be content for the rest of my life. It truely was an amazing hotel and if we have the opportunity we will definately go back there some day.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 0beach0
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

A group of five of us were trying to rescue a vacation disaster (that's another story) when we stumbled upon Jamahkiri on TripAdvisor. A member of our group called and inquired about last-minute booking for three rooms. He spoke to Pure (spelling?), who was hands-down one of the most positive resort/hotel employees I've ever met.

We couldn't get to the island that night (ferries were full and we couldn't find another boat to take us), and ended up having to take a one-way sight seeing trip with our luggage the next morning to get to Koh Tao. It was worth it!!

We were met at the pier by the Jamahkiri staff, who took our bags from us and brought us into an air conditioned area. We were given cold water (very welcomed) and told it would only be a few minutes for our taxi to be available. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later, two (air conditioned!) trucks were transporting us and our luggage up to Jamahkiri. As you'll read in other reviews, the road is under construction, but it wasn't bad at all. I'd be surprised if it weren't completed by now. I mean, don't try walking it with luggage - that'd just be plain silly. Take a cab with 4WD, and the hotel will arrange any cabs you need for you!

When we arrived, we walked up the steps to the entrance and immediately knew our vacation halfway across the world was saved. We were greeted by Pure with cold towels and refreshing juice (are you gathering that it was pretty darn hot? :0) ), and Pure immediately asked us: "Ohhh, are you with Mr. Mike?" Yup. We had arrived!

Three members of our group were going to dive, and the divemaster was waiting there when we checked in to chat with them about their options. From what I've heard, it's much pricier to dive at Jamahkiri than other places on the island, but compared to everywhere else in the world, it's still a bargain.

They brought our bags (and us) to our rooms, and on our way, we met William, the manager of the property. Oh, William. He's delightful as can be and took excellent care of us throughout our whole stay. More on him in a bit. . .

We simply couldn't believe the view as we were walking down to our rooms. It was breathtaking. Among the group, we've had travelers to Bali, Australia, the Great Barrier Reef, Hawaii, etc., and we all agreed this is one of the most beautiful places we've been.

Every room, even the lowest priced category we were in, has spectacular views, a lot of space, and a large balcony. While I understand this is one of the more expensive resorts on Koh Tao, it's more than worth it: you would pay at least four times this price for a comparable room in Hawaii and the service is out of this world.

We were at Jamahkiri for 5 days during a lower-traffic season (July 6-10), so maybe we just lucked out with the service. . .but it was great. There seemed to be more people working at the resort than AT the resort. Noise was never remotely an issue. In fact, it really felt like we only shared the pool/dining areas with a few other couples.

The food was consistently good. I wouldn't go as far to say it blew our minds, but it was always quality. Breakfast is included, and includes a buffet with fresh fruit, croissants, homemade bread, yogurt and granola, and cereal. They also offer made-to-order pancakes (which are crepes, actually) and omelettes. The teas, juices, and coffee were great as well. We ate by the pool for lunch most days, which was usually paninis, pizza, or thai food. Everything was great, but be aware, it does take a little bit of time to get your food. (But then again, if you go to Koh Tao and are in a rush, you're doing it wrong!) We also ate at the restaurant for dinner 3 nights. William always stopped by our table to greet us, chat about our trip, and exchange funny stories. He was very attentive to detail, and bought us a round of drinks. He truly cares about his guests and service.

We also frequented the spa. . .a lot. (Hey, it's vacation!) Personally, I had 4 Swedish massages and a facial. The massages were good, not spectacular, but probably because I should have asked for more pressure. $40 USD (1200 baht) for a swedish massage is not a bad deal at all where we come from, but I suppose compared to the 100 baht massages advertised on the streets (ahem, sketchy?), it's pricey. I'll pay a little more for a massage at a nice resort :). Nice touch: they have a warm cup of tea waiting for you after your massage for you to enjoy on the patio. I had never had a facial before, so I don't have much to compare it to, but they had me lay on a table in a little hut outdoors, surrounded by the sound of waterfalls. It was incredibly relaxing, to the point that I may have fallen asleep. . .I honestly don't remember, but it was lovely.

We went snorkeling and kayaking right outside of the hotel and loved it. The water is a bit shallow at points (coral- ouch!) but we saw a number of colorful fish and sharks.

The one downside you'll read a lot about on TripAdvisor: the stairs. Honestly, it didn't bother us. We were so lazy with everything else we did (even snorkeling felt like it was at a slower pace -- so nice!), it was actually refreshing to have a tiny workout before gorging ourselves on more food/drinks. Just know that if you go to Jamahkiri, there are a lot of stairs. It's worth a few stairs to have the incredible views!

The five of us are all professionals who work entirely too much and arrived to Koh Tao rather stressed out. We were all incredibly happy and genuinely relaxed by the end of our first day at Jamahkiri. I can't recommend the resort and the staff highly enough!

Room Tip: All rooms have amazing rooms and spacious balconies. Unless you need more space for a family, etc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends