“Paradise at a gorgeous beach”
Review of Koh Tao Cabana

Koh Tao Cabana
Ranked #17 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Wow! This was the most beautiful and special place where we stayed in Thailand. The place is luxurious and at one with nature. Everything is so beautiful and the details of our treetop lodge were amazing. The design of the hotel is just stunning. Even though the beach is amazing, and the sunbeds will make you fall a sleep in a matter of minutes, the pool is definitely worth a visit.
The whole place just blends in with it's surroundings. It's a floral jungle, located at the best beach on the island. The restaurant is beautiful and the breakfast amazing!
The Spa is strikingly beautiful and I think most people have no idea. The massage was very professional.
And yes, ofcourse there are mosquitos and insects, but not in our room. If you don't like insects, don't go to Thailand, it has a tropical climat. The place is clean and the staff is super friendly.
The only negative comment I would have to make would be the outside shower...It's not a great idea to shower after dark...because 80% of all jungle animals live at night and will be atracted bij the light.
This hotel felt like home and I would highly reccomend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LiekeAmsterdam
There are newer reviews for Koh Tao Cabana

Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you were looking for a hotel that exceeds your expectations then this one isn't for you. So I had done loads of research prior to booking this hotel. Here is all the information I wish someone could have told me.

Summary:-

Don't stay here if you're a SCUBA Diver;
Don't stay here if you're over weight;
Don't stay here if you have a heart condition;
Don't stay here if you enjoy alcohol;
Don't stay here if you have a fear of heights;
Don't stay here if you suffer from night blindness;
Don't stay here if your eyes can't read in low light;
Don't stay here if you have lots of gadgets that need charging;
Don't stay here if you want brilliant hotel service.

Positives are:-

1. The grounds are beautiful;
2. The Location is close to the Island centre and on the quiet end of the beach.

Background

So the first thing is that I thought I was booking one of the big round condos from their website. When I arrived I was put into one of the small rectangular ones. I didn't take any screenshots of the website so I couldn't prove that but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Next, upon arrival I noticed that there was no table or chairs to dine on, no real closet space, and only 1 coat hanger. Okay so I phone reception to get someone that doesn't speak English. I get it, I am in Thailand, and I am then passed to someone who does speak English. When I asked for more coat hangers I was treated like I was a Martian and told there was a quota on how many coat hangers I could have. Now I am getting a bit angry but coat hangers arrived 10 minutes later.

I brought all my dive gear hoping to get a few dives in. Don't stay here if you want to dive. This place is NOT diver friendly. It is 8 days on horse back up hill and down dale to get to your room and there never seems to be a porter around when you want one. So with a 30 lbs dive bag on my back I set off for reception. I don't mind because I am strong but you might find this a drag.

Returning from Diving and exhausted, 2 reception girls walked passed me and neither asked if I would like a porter to carry my dive bag. These guys just don't join the dots.

At night there are dim lights dotted along the paths. Also dotted along the paths are gutters for the rain run off. The lights sadly don't light some of the gutters so suddenly you find your leg jolting your hip as the ground disappears beneath your feat in the dark. Just plain stupid planning.

Then there is access. I don't drink and I am very fit and I had a challenge negotiating these stairs. They are non standard tread height and just not lit. If you drink and are a bit overweight then God help you because it will take you, God and a small crane to get you into the room. Many of my friends would have trouble getting in their room after a big restaurant meal with wine (I am talking about you Leo). The final flight of stairs has no hand rail to hold onto. Scaling those is like death or glory. One last piece of genius is that there is a very dull light above the door but it is controlled by a 2 way switch and a night time clock. So if you leave before dark there is no way to know if the light is on or off. 50/50 chance and so far I have got it wrong every single time.

Now we move inside the room. We stayed in Room 22. The safe was bolted to the wall crooked and yes, it is too small for a laptop. There are 2 power points in the room so I hope you like getting down on your hands and knees and crawling under tables to find them. Oh and if you have an earth pin in your plugs, well your out of luck because these points don't have the earth hole so your appliance just won't plug in or charge. To make things worse, if you go out and remove the room key, the brilliant accountants running the place switch off the power so now none of your gadgets charge thereby wasting your efforts of being down on your hands and knees plugging the suckers in.

I also felt like I was being nickeled and dimed to death here. The hotel taxi charges 50 baht to take you to town. Really! That should be complimentary. Also if you want to use the fridge in the room then you have to pull out some of the junk food they are trying to sell you because the little fridge is packed full so nothing else will fit.

Lastly all the lights are so dull that if you're a grumpy old man like me, then it is impossible to read because you can't see a thing. Great ambiance but with a simple couple of dimmers you could get low lighting when required and bright lights when reading.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband I and I were looking forward to this stay. We were new to this Island after traveling for a couple of weeks on other Islands, and northern Thailand. We booked this hotel after reading a few reviews and noticing that it was rated as a 4 star. We arrived shortly after 4pm or so, and went directly there. We were presented with a lot of mosquitoes in our room, but I sucked it up, then we dropped our bags off and went to explore the town. Shortly after dinner, we came back to sleep, this is when we were presented with a few gifts from nature. Note: My husband and I live in the mountains of Colorado, so we are nature people. We were settling in when i went to get my p.j's on when I noticed a HUGE, i mean, HUGE lizard by our bed. I jumped/screamed and said, "lets leave, i can't do this". While leaving my husband mentioned that earlier when we arrived he saw a huge snake in our bathroom but it left at his presence. This was while we toured the room when we arrived. He didn't tell me because he didn't want to scare me and also, that the snake went away so he didn't think anything about it. He regrets that decision because after researching the snake, it happened to be a poisonous snake (green viper). On that note, followed by the lizard, we got our packs on (didn't even unpack earlier), and went to recepition. They were already closed so we went to bar/resturant and located hotel. They all came down and we explained our situation, showed them pictures of the creature (lizard) and said we would appreciate our refund, so we can leave. We left with our packs on at 11pm with no where to stay. We purchased/booked our hotel through Agoda, so they said we would have to contact them. We contacted them 3x the next day, and they couldn't get a hold of the hotel. They later did a few days later, and said the hotel would not refund our money. It was a terrible experience for my husband and I. A hotel gone bad. This situation could have been easily taken care of by a simple refund of our money, but instead we got nothing. I am not a person who EVER writes reviews, but thought this was important enough too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 111Nicole
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a wonderful 2 night stay in Koh Tao Cabana!

The bungalows are located in a verty nice garden with a direct access to a lovely beach. The bungalows theirselves are very nice and large with an outside shower (be careful of possible insects!).
The breakfast was excellent with a large choice and served in the restaurant with the view on the sea. This same restaurant offers also a large choice of dishes at a reasonnable price. The hote is located at the end of Sairee beach which means it is quite (we met people who were in hotels closer to the center and they could not sleep so well as there are loudy parties until late in the night.
Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicolas T
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my friend, was gorgeous.. Firstly stayed in one of the bamboo huts which was really cute but at the time there was a Canadian festival on the beach and the bass sounds bounced through the bay and was really hard to sleep as was noisy through the thin walls...the next day we complained and were moved to the white sands villas in the same resort but with stone walls was much better with the sound and we also we greeted at the beginning with a fresh juice, hot towel and a complimentary mini massage in there spa which was beautiful the men that help with ur bags were so nice and helpful and carried our backpacks all the way to our rooms, pool is beautiful with a waterfall in it and a view of the beach, this was our favourite in the whole of Thailand that we travelled. They have double beds on the beach which hotel guests can use and they get you towels and cushions and are really friendly. Breakfast is good although no one in Thailand knows how to make a boiled egg to dip toast in! All seems to be hard boiled. Loved staying here!

Room Tip: Choose the whitesand villas
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I went to Koh Tao per friend's recommendations. We soon realised that this island, and especially Sairee Beach, is a massive backback destination with all the pros or inconvenience that occures such as a very young touristic clientele (20 something), bars, bars, bars, bars and dive clubs, bars and loud music all night long.
We haven't had a chance to go anywhere else than Sairee beach as we have been advised to get an accommodation here as from the hotel you can easely walk to the beach where the main activity is, especially nice cheap bbqs on the beach.

We especially booked the honeymoon suite cottage and that was such a disapointment. I knew it would be a chic Robinson style which did not bother me but Lord, what a poor location despite being right on the ocean!!
It seams to be a snorkling spot right underneath the honeymoon cottage so noisy with people enjoying their time. Because you are right on the ocean, you can hear the longtails boats roaring all day long like they were 2 meters away from you as there is a passage to go to the Japanese Garden and to that bunch of islands connected to each other which is btw a nice (crowded) paradise beach with water so much cleared and nicer than Sairee Beach.

And at time, when it is not the boats, the bars (with loud music) are taking over. As Aquasolarius said in a previous review, the beats are landing right to the shore and we could not sleep at all and it was a good 1am in the morning. I swear, I was ready to pack my stuff, loose a night for the notice and going to the unknown somewhere far and away from the noise. Not great on a honeymoon or for relaxing holiday.

We complained the next morning and we have been very lucky to be taken in charge by the amazing lady in charge of the hotel, not the manager though. She phoned the manager who was in Bangkok and she managed to get us one of those villas based right on the beach which suprisingly enough, were extremely quite at night. So I guess the noise is travelling with the wind along the shore up the hill.
We could at least sleep!

Breakfast, nothing extraordinary at all, we have been almost disappointed by the selection of the buffet and the soft drinks are not freshly squeezed but pasteurised.

Except that, the service is very good, the staff is very helpfull, it is a nice resort overall but it is all on what you want. Maybe in low season, when my friends went, is a better idea to visit Koh Tao.

Room Tip: Avoid like hell those facing the beach directly. You wil go mad with the bar's music. Go for the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Koh Tao Cabana. We stayed from Dec. 31st, 2012 to Jan 5th, 2013. We had three couples in three different units.

It was clean and comfortable. The service was reasonable and the restaurant food was great (but hard to get a table at times). It is probably the nicest place to stay on Sairee beach. It is at the very end of the beach to it is quieter than most of Sairee but still has easy access to all the bars and restaurants.

We would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Some of the 'treehouse' rooms up on the hill require a bit of stair climbing. Some of them...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family