“The only bad part of this place was having to leave it”
Review of Koh Tao Cabana

Koh Tao Cabana
Ranked #18 of 148 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Loved the resort, away from the main bit but only 10 minutes walk down the beach. Staff were lovely, really helpful, arranged all our ferry travel for us and even though we were a day late they were still waiting for us at the pier when we arrived. Seaview cottage we had, not a bad thing to say! Beautiful. Foods really nice there and reasonably priced, lots of choice and lovely setting with an amazing view. Romantic little resort, we can't wait to go back! Hire quads for your stay and go exploring we had a blast. Lovely little patch of beach for the hotel, and the cabanas are awesome! Both pools are nice too, with lovely gardens and grounds, I can't think of anything negative about this resort at all.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank charl_young

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Location: We stayed in the Koh Tao Cabana for 5 nights earlier this month. The resort is located on the best stretch of Sairee beach – the water is shallow and great if you like frolicking, and aren’t too much of a deep sea swimming fan. There are no corals here as the beach is shallow for quite a distance. We walked along the Sairee beach numerous times, and I would say that the sand here is the best. The resort staff takes due care in keeping the beach clean. The beach loungers are very comfortable and add a very romantic feel. The staff sets them up for you the minute you get there. You can get a taxi boat here as well. The resort is a 10 min walk on the beach from all the restaurants and bars at Sairee. We preferred walking on the beach as compared to the cement road inside – was much more lively. There are a couple of laundry outlets 5 min from the resort, who can do your washing at B40 per kg (B60 for express).

Swimming Pool: The pool is new and clean – has a very rustic feel to it. You can use the beach loungers/pool loungers/showers in the pool area if you arrive before check in or need to wait for a couple of hours after check out. There is no pool side bar, but you can carry a beer/coke to the pool from your minibar.

Rooms: The rooms were lovely. We felt that we were guests in the Flintstones’ house. Everything was rustic and earthy. We spent 4 nights in the whitesand villa. The room is large with a balcony and a partially open air bathroom. The items in the minibar were not too expensive either. We stayed in room number 9 which was a little uphill – it was cumbersome to walk till the room after we were dead tired from the dives. Also, our balcony overlooked a service cottage – no disturbances at all from anyone in the service area. The advantage of the distance is that you have your own piece of the forest. There is no noise that we heard from any bar/party on the beach in this room. However, given a choice, we would have preferred to stay in villas 1-5; it would have been less of a walk.
On the second last day of our stay, it rained for a few hours. There were ground worms partying in the tropical paradise, and some of them decided to drop into our room – from the roof. Harmless creatures, but made me feel really creepy. We called the reception, and within 2 minutes, we had 3 people to help us out. They saw me standing in the corner, all petrified with the creatures, and upgraded our room to a sea view villa for the last night. If we would not have had this problem, our stay would have been perfect.
The sea view villa was a slightly smaller room, but with better view. There were no ground worms! If you can afford to, it would make sense to spend the marginal amount more, and stay in this room.

Restaurant: The Rim Lae restaurant has a lovely view. The breakfast is average – especially for vegetarians; pancakes- delightful. We had an afternoon coffee here once, with some stir fried vegetables – the food was fresh and tasty.

Spa: The spa seemed a little expensive for Koh Tao, and hence we never explored the option.

Reception: The roselle juice, cold towels and popcorn bag made us feel pretty welcome. Check in and check out were smooth and quick. However, the reception does not look very impressive, as with most hotels in Koh Tao. Please do not let this make an impression in your mind about the room. The rooms are much better and very well maintained.

We would love to stay here again – but would make sure that we stay in the waterview villa!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rapunzzel
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Excellent location with a beautiful view to the beach.
We were in the sunset villa which is located at the end of a row of rooms, with amazing views and wonderful privacy, But you have to take into account climbing just a little hard ...
The room is relatively old but clean and well maintained, lovely open shower but you should be ready to accept all kinds of animals there... (We visited by Crab, ants and mosquitoes ...)
The view from the room is worth it all!!!
Free wi-fi works well.
Lovely restaurant staff. except from breakfast we do not recommend the food (expensive and not so good....) Better to walk to restaurants down the beach ....
Great pool, excellent beach and the staff was happy to help with anything.
Strongly recommend!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amit_Coral
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked Koh Tao Cabana after much research on places to stay on Koh Tao. The added bonus was a friend of ours also booked this resort but travelled 2 months prior to our trip. Of course he came back with glowing reports about the resort and he loved his stay there! Being equipped with this info we still enjoyed it however, it wasnt as great as we anticipated.

On our arrival the lady who greeted us in reception was quite aggressive and demanding we setlle the payment immediately. This is fine as that is what it states on their website however, her manner was quite off putting.

We had a similiar situation in the restaurant on our first morning and one of the other reviewers here talks of a similiar experience! The abrupt receptionist had written the wrong dates on our breakfast vouchers so the guy waiter in the restaurant was quite rude and did not want to accept the voucher and kept arguing with me. It was really off putting as it was not our fault and it really was quite a simple mistake made by them! Then I ordered the hot breakfast and was most put off by what came out.. fortunately I didnt eat it. The eggs were pretty much raw and covered in grease. I was really disappointed with the restaurant actually because my friend had raved about the food there and we went for dinner the night prior to the breakfast incident and it was very ordinary. Compared to the food we have been eating in Thailand along the way Koh Tao Cabana restaurant really feel short. We ate at BARRACUDA in Sairee town the next night and that was amazing..

Having said most of the negative on the positive side I did enjoy the resort. The location was great easy to get around via the beach into the town or just enjoying long walks along the beach .. Everything was accessible and good massage huts just outside the hotel. The pool was amazing nice and new and well set up and attended.

The rooms unfortunately werent really practical and I hate those 2 single beds stuck together and the sheets were not good quality. Maybe we were spoilt from our accommodation in Koh Samui but I really noticed the difference in quality in just the basics!! The outdoor bathroom is not everyone's taste either.. swarming with mossies you couldnt leave that door open at any time and I love an outdoor shower/bathroom.

I probably wouldnt stay here again I think there are better options on Koh Tao!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KarenaSydney
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I went to Koh Tao for scuba diving and stayed at The Cabana for 4 nights. This is a lovely resort nested on a forested hill with a nice see breeze in the evening - aircon is provided in the room but actually not required. The general comfort is probably as good as what you can expect on a secluded island where water and electricity are scarce and expensive. My dives were scheduled in the early morning so I could not try the breakfast buffet because it was not open yet. Knowing that the hotel staff provided me with a boxed breakfast that was delivered to my room free of charge. This is the kind of attention that makes the difference between a good and an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank williamToh
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed about 5 nights here in Koh Tao and we loved every minute of it. First few nights we stayed at a regular bungalow without ocean views but lovely jungle ambiance (it was just above the huge balancing rock). As we were walk-ins we could not stay in the same room for the entire duration of our stay in Koh Tao so we upgraded to an ocean view for the final 2 nights. Amazing.

Really love the outdoor showers, the view from the bed, the rustic tropical ambiance of the decor and the pool. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ocean views worth the extra penny
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raaaabert
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Cabana as part of our wedding and honeymoon and enjoyed our stay very much. The resort is placed at the far end of Sairee Beach where the sand quality isn't very good and is full of shingles. The hotel offset this by having gorgeous beds on the grass just off the beach - we didn't use these as they were always occupied! Previous reviews had mentioned the construction of a pool - this is now complete and is very, very nice. We both enjoyed relaxing there after a wonder into Sairee town. Our bungalow was just as we saw it on the website. We stayed in bungalow 25 and were not disturbed by noise from the beach parties, a small bit of bass could be heard every now and then, but nothing to stop us sleeping. Unfortunately, the bed did stop me sleeping a couple of times and was the only feature of the room I wasn't completely happy with. Not that it was terrible, I'd like to add! Instead of having a double bed, we had 2 singles pushed together. This in itself isn't a massive problem but the beds were of a different height which wasn't the best. If you're a bit freaked out by wildlife, the rooms won't be for you. We would hear a wide range of wildlife through the day and when it was late. I would hope that you'd be aware that this will be the case if you've seen any photos! Remember that you're basically staying in a forrest on a tropical island, you're going to get animals! We did have one large spider in the bathroom, but that made its own way in the world and was only seen the once! The bathroom was very cool with a nice shower that's open to the elements.

We were both very impressed with the service - all staff were polite, said hello and were helpful. They managed to be professional but not smothering. Some reviews say the service is terrible, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, after we had checked out and been driven to the pier (for free) the drivers came back with a plug that we had left in the room. I can't think of anywhere I've stayed before that would do that.

One area I was disapointed with was the food. The breakfast was quite poor and we only had it 2 of the 5 mornings while we were there, opting to walk to Sairee town instead. The fried breakfast was cold and the sausages were not nice at all. Unfortunately, because of this, we decided to not have dinner in the restaraunt.

All in all, this is a lovely place to stay and I would recommend checking it out. With a slightly better bed and a tastier breakfast, I'd not hesitate to give Koh Tao Cabana 5 stars.

Also, Koh Tao is worth a look. I came here 6 years ago and the area around Sairee Beach has developed beyond recognition. As much as I'd love for it to be the same place it was, it needs to grow to enable the increase in tourism. But, despite this growth, it still feels as laid back as it was before!

• Stayed: July 2012