“Bare Bones Basic Accomodation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed here recently while diving in Koh Tao. There are different accomodations on the resort- I stayed in the bungalows up the hill. You get a great rate (300baht) on a bungalow if you enroll in a course or are an ex-student.

The rooms are simple- tile floors, stiff beds, and thin but clean linens. The bathroom didn't have hot water but with temperatures outside well above 35 celsius you hardly notice. The toliets flushed with a bucket which is pretty common but might be a turn-off for some more discerning travelers. Also is BYO toliet paper. There were bars over the windows and you could padlock for extra safety. The exterior could have been more brightly lit. Cleaning service is available on request during your stay.

Crystal is located in Mae Hat which definitely has less nightlife than Sairee Beach and you'll need to take cab to get home from Sairee. There are some good options for dining and drinking in Mae Hat as well but most of the nightlife centers around Sairee which is twenty minutes away by foot. I

• Stayed: March 2009

Reviewed January 4, 2009

I did my open water course here and the instructors were top notch, very helpful and knowledge which put me at ease as I hadn't dived before. The whole dive opertaion is very professional and I would recommend anyone to book a course with them. The downside is that the accommodation I was in was basic to say the least and very niosy as I was next to the shed where they filled the tanks. But if you aren't bothered about the room as you are here to dive (like me) then you can get over it.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 29, 2008

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this diving resort in June 2007 for two weeks. We booked a diving course through PoD Diving and were therefore allocated their preferrred resort only finding out which resort on arrival.

When we arrived we were met by a very friendly diving instructor who then took us to our beach bungalow. It was basic and clean, as we had expected, and had an electric fan. We found that this just didnt keep the room cool and therefore asked to be upgraded (for an additional cost) to a room with aircon. This room was much better and I would certainly recommend paying the slightly more expensive price for a room with aircon!

Diving with this resort was fantastic! We took the PADI open water and advanced courses with them. The instructors are very professional, patient and friendly. The facilites are brilliant with all classrooms fully airconditioned. We even saw a whale shark!!!!

The restaurant is again basic but super cheap and serves up nice food quickly. Perfect when you want to grab some breakfast before going out for an early morning dive.

Evening entertainment is ok. We stayed slightly out of season so didn't expect much more. The resort does have a lovely bar / deck from which you can really enjoy watching the sunset (gorgeous), sitting on beanbags whilst having an ice cold beer.

The only thing we were slightly unsure about when we first arrived was whether to move to their other resort in Sairee Beach. This resort was closer to the main island nightlife. However after visiting the Sairee beach resort we realised that it was much too quiet.

So overall I would recommend staying at the main Mae Haad Crystal dive resort, particularly as it is cheap and easy to get a taxi from Mae Haad to Sairee Beach if you do want to go out.

Had the best holiday!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stephanie k
Reviewed August 24, 2007

This is a good place to learn how to dive, but not so good to do Fun Diving. While I was there they had 3 groups doing the open water course together and the boat was over crowded. The Instructors are good but under excessive pressure to get customers through the course. My bug bear is that the hut I stayed in was not clean, the matteress stupidly old and worn (wire sticking out of it in places), worse than this it was full of bed bugs that fed off me and my girlfriend. I made a complaint about this but they didn't seem at all bothered, what do you except for 300 bahts a night? well I've stayed in 400 bahts a night places that managed to keep the place clean without making lots of money off my diving at the same time.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cptkeendiver
Reviewed January 5, 2007

i recently done my advanced open water with cystal dive and i found them to be a very profesional and friendly dive school, as an example i was traveling on my own and so on my first night i was in the bar watching the video of that days course's, and one of the instructors finishing a course invited me along to have dinner with him and his newly qualified students (as i was on my own) and hadn't realy found my feet at that point, this made me feel very welcome.
the diving was realy good too, they offered most options for the advanced including photography, deep, mpv and naturalist. when out on the boat theres is always one person responsable for boat breifings and to make sure every one is back on the boat ( nothing like the horror story's i had heard about thailand). if any one is going i would recomend a trip out to sail rock on there speed boat which gets you out there in about 45 miniutes to an hour this is the furthest dive site from the island, although i dived some great ones closer such as shark island, no sharks though but some barracuda, sting rays, puffer fish and watch out for those trigger fish.
the accomadation offered was very basic but at very affordable rate, i read some of the other reveiws on crystal dive and i feel that if your looking for 5 star rooms look else were but for poor travellers like me who just want a basic clean room for next to nothing this is ya place i paid 300 baht a night about £3.60 as a diver i think non divers pay more (guess who they want filling there rooms), but dont excpect room service and breakfast in bed.
i hope everyone else enjoys there stay as much as i did.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank johnEssex
Reviewed December 20, 2006

Just completed a week with these guys and had a great time.Completed the PADI Open & Advanced courses. From a teachers perspective the instruction was first class. All the staff where friendly and extremely professional and the school had a great social vibe. The highlight had to be the video of our final two dives along with the beach BBQ. Accommodation on site was average but i came to Koh Tao to dive and these guys really know what their doing in this department. First Class!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank MelbourneMark
Reviewed December 18, 2006

stayed in great brand new room had satellite tv, aircon the lot.
stayed here a year or 2 back and its changed so much for the good, the new instructors and friendly staff really made our stay great, all very professional and patient. the new training pool they have added recently is huge and was great for my misses who didnt want to start in the sea.
the reef here is every bit as good if not better in parts than the barrier reef which i was really pleased about .
the resort was right next to everything you need,lots of shops and lovely restraunts.
didnt want to leave it all went so quickly , we will definatly be going back to stay at crystal in years to come with any luck.

jack and eve