“Diving and Accommodation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed September 13, 2013

03.09.13

Ok, I will start with the diving.. The diving experience was brilliant and my instructor Scott was very good. I did the open water dive over a 4 day period.

The first day was just classroom work and was a bit frustrating but when you actually get diving I was very surprised how this information comes into play. The one thin I learnt is you cannot just go diving without all the pre work that you.

We had six people in our class and it was a great laugh the minute we got the gear on and into the pool.

The two days we did in the open water was just amazing. I can honestly say I would of loved to have done the advanced course but I ran out of time. Just be patient with the training and believe me when I say you will love the dives!!!.

The accommodation is very poor and I would recommend upgrading if possible.. The reason for the no toilet paper is no different from most places as its to do with the dumping of waste in the sea. The 4 days we spend was not that bad as we were never in the room as you are out for most of the day.

In the end the resort is fantastic and the people working there are always wiling to help and make the diving safe.

And definitely buy the DVD in the end.

Great time and cheers Scott.
L.A

1  Thank Impey1606
There are newer reviews for Crystal Dive Resort

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Crystal dive resort is the place for diving in Koh Tao it has nearly every PADI course and speciality you can think of here. Some great people here as well.

The free bungalow I got on my diving course was ok for the backpacker style of traveling, but if you want something more try one of the upgrades that they have on offer or another place. I wasnt expecting much for free accommodation, the bungalow I got had two beds a toilet and a shower. It was clean enough but it would have been nice to have possibly had a chair, tv, toilet roll. If you are in one of the bungalows at the top of the hill behind crystal just bring some earplugs for the roosters. That freely give you a wake up call every morning.

I did see some of the other people i met on he course bungalows that were also the free ones and they had a nicer standard compared to my one. They are in a nice central location to everything, plenty bars and resturants nearby. The free wifi at crystal is very slow there I dd get wifi in my bungalow for two days when I arrived but then it stopped. Try going to cafe del sol for some good wifi speed.

The diving course that I took was great instructors do a great job trying to deal with students all arrond the world and in diffrent languages. The dive locations they take you to are great many things to see down there.

Room Tip: Try and ask for one of the bungalows at the far end ofte beach much nicer down there and you even ge...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CNLIALROKC
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We get there, after 30 minutes of crap where they made us fill out papers and all, we finally got our keys..

they reluctantly showed us to the bungalow...

walking up the steps, 1/2 of the bottom step is gone. as we opened the door, the smell of pee hit us.. it was strong. the sink had some flush pan or something in there, the bucket they like you to throw your used toilet paper in.... if you knew to bring your own that is.. they have no toilet paper in there...

the other person got their own bungalow, and their sink was backed up with what looks (and smelled) like pee..

these rooms were horrible!! no hot water or anything...

we were not in the room for more than 20 min and decided to go elsewhere.

i have seen plenty of "back packer" places, but at least they kept them clean, not here at pisscrystal dive resort.

Room Tip: If you like to smell pee, this is the place for you.. 2 bungalows, and both were trashed. so
3  Thank Rick N
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Booked my diving course from Koh - Phangan. The information I got was not correct. And seems like the crystal diving school is alwys trying to get more and more money from their own customers.

First thing when I got to the resort, the guy asked me if I want to upgrade for an a/c room for 300 baht per night (!!!). Obviously when I paid for the diving course, they didn't tell me that the rooms with fan.

Second, BBQ dinner is offered free in which night you choose- but 'surprisingly there was no barbeque night.

Third, in the end of the course every participant HAS to pay 100 baht for the conservation kohtao coral (or some other similar bull) ....

There were many little incidents that I had during my stay. .. but in the bottom line after paying 10 thousand baht - 315 u.s dollars I think that all should be included and you shouldn't be offered all the time with more upgrades ant stuff...

Besides that the diving course itself was awesome. . Only the hospitality is not good there!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We did a whole day DSD course and absolutely loved it. We felt everyone who worked there was very professional. We loved how we were only in a small 4-person learning group (although obviously there are more people on the boat), and we felt very well taught by our instructor, 'Tarique'. After looking at other offers and hearing stories, we have congratulated ourselves fully on making the decision to go with Crystal :)

1  Thank Joseph G
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I took PADI Open Water course (4 days) in Crystal during July with instructor Jennifer Burford and the experience was great. The school environment is lively and international, reception staff is always actively tryin to help you, and thats not an easy task when you have more than 100 students around. The lessons and dive and amazingly well coordinated. My instructor, Jen, is an excellent diver but an even betteR teacher. Together with instructor student Amanda always kept up until every student in the group had understood, practiced and demostrated that exercises were clear. Restaurant within the school is good, cheap and has a wide menu (6 types of breakfasts). The only improvement point would be the free accomodation (bungalows) that come with the courses. They definitely need more cleaning and some renovation. Ask for a VIP room (1000 extra bath / night) if they are available.

Room Tip: Ask for a VIP room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I came to dive in Koh Tao.
There are litterally dozens of dive shops in Koh Tao, many more than figuring on the web. I chose Crystal after looking over a number and it was the right choice.
Being an experienced diver I wanted to be taken to as many different sites as possible and this is what I got.
Crystal run 3 big boats that leave from the pier, so divers do not have to be transfered from the beach. You just walk on. For fun-divers, Crystal provides experienced Dive Masters who know the sites. Each DM takes a small group of about 4 divers. Also, security is paramount. The boat master does a roll call after embarcation and after each dive. One can dive up to 4 times per day and the die-hards can also do a night dive on certain days.
All in all it was a most pleasant and rewarding experience.

I lodged in the adjacent Regal Resort, a room with a view on the ocean, facing west, with incredible sunsets. The room was very large and kept very clean. Complimentary bottled water was provided daily. The swimming pool was appealing but I used it only once, the sea being a stone throw away.

A lovely 10 day holiday in this island.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends