“The best time ever!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I came to Crystal back in 2004 to do my divemaster internship and stayed for a year! I can honestly say that it was the best time of my life... ever!
The accommodation was basic, but there are a number of other options on the island.

It was the people that made it for me, many have moved on now but I know that there are a few still on the island and I only wish I was too. Paradise found for lovers of the ocean, a laid back island lifestyle and a true family feel at Crystal dive.

One day I will return!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank icklenicbonner

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in Koh Tao for five days and just happened to stumble across Crystal Dive School after viewing many others. We firstly took part in the DSD for one day completing two dives as I was a little bit nervous about going out into open water, but with out fantastic instructor Mel, I felt extremely safe and confident. As we loved the DSD, and I was much more confident we went on to complete our Open Water. we visited three different diving sites seeing lots of different sea animals and stunning coral in perfect visibility conditions. The only down point to the diving were the choppy conditions that make you feel a little bit sea sick. A big thank you to crystal and particularly MEL for making our diving pretty perfect!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The people were very nice and knowledgeable. My training was thorough and complete. I felt very comfortable in the water by the time we got there. The two reasons to do dive certification in Koh Tao are: 1) it is very cheap relative to almost anywhere else and 2) it has faily good dive sites with no major difficulties - currents, cold temps, etc.

Our room was totally sufficient if a bit odd. The AC took a long time to cool down the room. The bathroom was a square built into the room, which was fine but there isn't wall at the top 12 inches to the ceiling...hope you don't mind your roommate hearing you go to the bathroom! TV was nice...don't remember what channels it had as I was very tired each night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Great experience, lovely staff, had two room one with a fan, one with ac, the fan room was bearable on a rainy/windy night. Some nights had to have a cold shower at 2 am but had everything you needed shower, toilet, fridge. The ac room was brilliant, the toilets in both weren't the cleanest and unless you leave your shoes outside everything is going to get sandy but because your right on a beach it's what you'd expect, the atmosphere was brilliant lots of young people and plenty of older people too. The deals they do for divers is excellent and as a non diver staying there with a diver it was great to get a few discounts. The staff were great about room changes and extending stays I would recommend it for a travel able to rough it. Loved it and all the instructors were great in the evenings just chatting to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

My first impression when I came to Crystal was pretty lame. They couldnt find me in their system, eventhough I had already paid an upfront deposit. I told them that Peter (who runs their webpage and replies to emails/marketing) could confirm it, since I got confirmation email from him. Then the people at Crystals office looked weird and confused, telling me that Peter (who replies to all their emails) is stationed in Bangkok and none of them seemed to know him. I asked them to call him, but they didnt even have his number and had to email him!

Finally I got my bungalow. But the shower and toilet didnt work and there was lots of roosters just outside my window making lots of noise. When I complained about it, they said there was nothing they could do about it, since this was the situation with all the free bungalows. So I moved over to a close hotel (Regal) where I luckily got a discount. Still, disapointingly there was 3 roosters in the backyard of Regal hotel that kept me awake from 4 in the morning every day. They REALLY got on my nerves and ruined most of my sleep!

Upside with this place is that the instructors are very experienced and friendly. So I have nothing bad to say about the dive masters/instructors.

One of the main reasons that I picked this resort was because they wrote on their web page that they make a film out of your last day. Also they wrote on their page that there are no hidden costs. But when the course has started they tell you that the filming costs extra and is not included. But then they shouldve made this clear on their page. Also they charge you 100 Baht extra at the end of the course to take your photo. Eventhough you offer to use a photo you already have, they insist that you must pay this extra anyways, because it goes to some charity found. What happend to "no hidden costs"?

Still their instructors are cool, so I finished my first course there. But their bar area is dead at night, because Crystal lays a bit away from the Sairee area where most of the other dive schools are located. So dont expext too much socializing at Crystal at night. Because of this I decided to do my later courses at another resort, where there was more people hanging out by thebeach in the evenings.

I have several good memories from Crystal, but if I come back to Koh Tao Im pretty sure I'll pick another resort.

Crystal has a nice web page that kind of tricks people to choose them. The instructors are great, but the organizing in the background seems messy and all about selling as many PADI certifications as possible. For example we had to do our theoretical exams in the corner of a loud crowded restaurant, because their two classrooms were over booked. So I will recommend people to consider picking other diving centers at Koh Tao.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank TheScandinavian1
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I came to Crystal to complete my advanced course and have done diving in lots of places around the world. I had great fun, the diving was amazing. The night dive was the best by far! Just amazing. I had Suki who was very good, proffessional and very funny!

The staff in general I found were very friendly except one, whose name I can not remember. But the rest of the people made up for it.

The accomodation is not so great...there is a bed, a toilet, a cold water shower and a fan but really you don't spend much time in the room and as it is free with a dive course, you can't really complain. I did walk past some other rooms that looked a lot nicer though but I assume you have to pay extra for that.

All in all I loved my stay there and I am returning in a few months to do my dive master and instructor course.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2012

good place for diving, little be uncomfortable with there diving equipments, Most of the instructor are pretty good. Rooms and cottage are ok. swimming pool just by the sea shore but busy with the course most of the time. Only interesting person i found there was Course directors from whom i did my EFR Instructor. Great Guy...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo