“Great experience!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've stayed at Crystal dive resort twice now, and I'm definitely coming back! I loved Koh Tao it's such an amazing island and the fact that Crystal is only 200 meters from the pier and just down by the beach was just great.
I did my open water and advanced open water course, and even though I used to be terrified of the ocean my instructor Amalie made me feel very safe the whole time. And now I can't get enough of diving! She was so great when I sometimes got scared and helped me see that there was nothing to be scared of. Now I'll be doing my Rescue diver course next, and of course it'll be at Crystal! Thanks for a great experience!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Anna H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I made my open water and my advanced open water certification at cyrstal and it was great.
My Dive Instructor was Amalie. I always felt safe because of her calm and professional way.
I think i had the best instructor which i could get. Thanx Amalie, to all the thing you have shown me about diving and thanx to crystal for this fantastic time!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Runwithme
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

We picked this place for our dive course as we met some travellers who had a good experience here, and also when we got off the ferry they were only a 200m walk away (as opposed to the other diving place that was also offering free accomodation).
The fan bungalow was basic, but free while we were doing a course, which helped the budget. We ended up doing 2 courses, Open Water and Advanced, after really enjoying the Open Water, and our friendly instructor and dive master in training who assisted.

The positives - diving in Koh Tao is delightful , great dive sites, awesome clear water - the snorkelling is great too, and the prices were right for us - 9000 baht each for the Open Water, and then a 10% discount for our next course, I think it was 7500 baht for the Advanced (5 dives including an awesome night dive), plus free accom whilst on the course. Excellent value for money, cheapest I have seen around Thailand. Also we could have done more dives for 700 baht per dive - discounted again since we had done a course - cheapest way to dive for sure!!

The negatives - We were told that any extra nights after we finished a course would be 300 baht, but when we checked out we had to pay 600 baht per extra night. Both guys who quoted us this price weren't around, and the piece of paper we signed said 600. Sure we should have paid attention to that, but they seemed easygoing about it at the time, and I verbally confirmed the price twice because I was confused by the piece of paper - which quoted another price again for when you were on a course - it didn't say you got any free accom. We ended up paying the extra, since it was still pretty cheap, but it left us with a very sour taste in our mouths...
Also, the overall attitude of the place was strange - we didn't read the reviews before we went there but they are spot on - most of the instructors, staff, and dive masters in training seemed to act like they were more important than you - despite the fact that the only reason the whole place is there is because people like us come there to do our Open Water course. The bar area is a nice place to hang out and watch the beautiful sunsets, but you felt like you were intruding on their private socialising area or something.
Also, as someone else mentioned, the dive gear is not terribly clean, mould on your regulator/snorkel anyone?!

The accommodation - cold shower (great for the hot weather), no toilet paper (same as most cheap places in Asia), fan, tv that was broken, overall, fairly basic, but a place to sleep. Wifi very slow (better at the cafes around town), and didn't work from the room.. (When we left we moved to another bay on the island and upgraded to somewhere nice for a few nights as a treat to make up for it!)

Overall - Koh Tao is a great place to learn to dive, Crystal has great instructors and good prices (in the low season anyway).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Claireonholiday
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed here because we heard good things about the diving program. We got our open water certifications here. Let's just say we're going back in a few months to get our advanced (with Crystal). Excellent instructors, Josh was especially awesome.
The hotel is decent, nothing too fancy but for your average traveller, its perfectly fine.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike M
Beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

just for diving, good team, good experience. Accommodation, for me just need a bed to sleep, so I don't care so much. Well, to be honest, not good for family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sheng_Fang
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

excellent place to go diving.All dive instructors and overmasters are very skilled and they make sure guests have a great experience. I have taken many courses here and I will highly recommended if you want friendly staff who will take care of all safety procedures with professionalism. I specially recommend Ivan, Amy and Josh. They certainly make the dives remarkable
The place is also very well located. just walking distance from the ferry

Room Tip: I would recommend to stay at Regal (next door, same owner)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Seabass305
Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I did the Open Water course at Crystal Dive (9800baht + 100for certificate which is a downside + no breakfast included). The bungalow had no toilet paper, but TV (HBO or Fox Channel, can´t remember) and provided towels. The room was very hot and small but you go there for diving. The resort is about 10 minutes walk to Sairee Beach (fishbowl bar) and close to cheap restaurant (not Cafe dl Sol = horrible!) The diving experience was great. I was lucky enough to do the course with Instructor Nico, a Frenchman who was assisted by 2 .. well assistants (Pascal and Marie). All in all, funny and easy-going people. I always felt safe with the Crew, and Nico was very serious about our safety and the progress we made. We stayed in the pool for almost 5 hours until everybody understood everything. We dived Mango Bay, Twins and White Rock, saw many fish, had awesome visibility and beautifully colourful corals. What I didn´t like so much is, that members of the crew often ask "Did you already pay?" at the beginning. But as I said, diving course was great and I know they don´t only want the money and run.
I give 4 out of 5 points because even though accommodation was not the very best I didn´t care, I was there for diving.

I miss Crystal Dive and will definitely go back for further dives and/or certificate!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple