“Great Team - Fun Diving- did not stay at hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Crystal Dive Resort
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Alameda, California
“Great Team – Fun Diving- did not stay at hotel”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

On an island that is centered around diving you have many choices. I chose Crystal because I liked the tone, speed and slight personalization of their email responses (plus they had good Tripadvisor reviews). I was not disappointed.
Sasha, Phil and the rest of the team did a wonderful job in taking care of me. Given I have not dove much, but I was made to feel at home. Over three days we dove Red Rock, White Rocks, Green Rock, Japanese Gardens and Chumphon Pinnacle (the best dive). These dives included work on gathering my adventure dives, including my deep water certification.
Unlike many dives in the past where the boat staff prepare the tanks and gear, this is a divers experience. The boats are big and had at least 40 divers. Each group was 4 persons or smaller. Each person assembles their own gear, but fear not there is always someone around to refresh your memory. Diving with such a big boat was a different experience, but not unwelcomed.
The diving was clear, low current and the water was warm. We saw great reef life, turtles, schools of barracudas, spotted rays and trigger fish. Alas no sharks our time of year.
I did come across a few faulty o rings which led to some small leaks, no big deal. Other than that equipment seemed fine. BTW – they have what seems like hundreds of different packages and pricing levels. Be sure to dig around to find one that works for you (some include lodging, return guests are lower rates, more dives are lower rates). Crystal does lots of dive classes so you will encounter people working on rescue dives, dive instructor and various other courses as part of the trip

In the end the staff made the difference. I am not one to repeat vacation spots, but if I did I would dive with Crystal

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ThankYouMrMiner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My friend and i stayed here to do our open water course in Feb 2011. The first night we were upgraded to one of the 'premier' rooms as they had overbooked the bungalows. We were told to move to a bungalow at lunchtime the following day after the occupants of 'our' bungalow had left and it had been cleaned. The previous occupants did leave, but it clearly had not been cleaned by the time we arrived, which was pretty gross. We had also paid for an air con room but didnt get one, only had a fan. As a pretty experienced backpacker i have no objection at all to accommodation being basic, but it should at least be cleaned between occupancies if nothing else!

50% of the staff were really nice, the other 50% were a bunch of....errr......not very nice people - lazy, unhelpful, arrogant, not interested in the customers at all. My instructor in particular was an absolute pig, I found the dive table quite difficult to interpret (due to me being, through no fault of my own, totally rubbish at maths in any capacity) and rather than help me to understand it he kept huffing and puffing everytime I asked for assistance he basically acted like I was a massive inconvenience. He didnt want a slow coach holding back the group. He was also sleeping with a girl in the group and behaved like the rest of us - 6 in the group in total - were an inconvenience and getting in the way of their 'time' together. No, not sour grapes on my part, he was as short as me with a balding head and hairy back! Also my regulator was letting in water on one dive, I signalled to him that I couldnt breathe through it properly and he dragged me back to the surface, tested it himself, and declared that there was nothing wrong with it, I 'wasnt using it properly' and that I was holding up the other divers. Ended up using the alternative air source because, when I went back under again, it was exactly the same! Just wanted to be able to enjoy learning to dive........loved diving (with other dive masters subsequently at other dive schools) but the learning experience was totally tarnished for me because of this idiot.

On the plus side, the cost of the course was cheap and most of the other learner divers that I met were lovely.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 'A' area are apparently nicer than those situated further up the hill
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Koh Tao, Thailand
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Diving service is really professional. Some great staff and some v rude staff. lots of the people working here have huge egos. Was offered free accomodation but we upgraded for 500b a night. Room was large, clean, had good air-con, fridge and t.v. Electric shower didn't work so we had cold water. This room was called a VIP room. Was going to stay an extra night but the room rate without a dive was 2000B. Not worth it at all!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emg77
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I did the open water four day course here. The course itself was great! If you have Laura and Steve you will have a great time! I would ask for them specifically. They are a ton of fun, but really teach you what you need to know. So def ask for them specifically if you can. I highly recommend crystal dive resort for the course. The equiptment is good! That being said I wouldn't stay here. The rooms are a bit sketchy. Not super clean, and the beds are great. its a dive resort, so you wake up early, sleep isn't the priority. My ratings aren't for the accomodation but for the course itself. Accomodation does come with the package but I would consider going off the resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank SpecialKay84
Reviewed June 28, 2011

After looking at a few places on Koh Tao, ended up here, really good place to learn to dive, good instructors, easy food and drink, access fine to sairee beach, good dive sites. Facilities pretty comparable across the island, no flushing toilet, but they're pretty rare anyway due to water restrictions on the island, shower good. Did have a cockroach and a gecko, but the cockroach stayed in the toilet, so no dramas. Enjoyed it and will be back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank 7SunSeeker7
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 5, 2011

When you get off the boat I suggest you keep walking north than staying here. If you want a cheap room you have to dive as we found out later but on check in when asked we were told that simply doing one dive per stay would be enough. Pool looks nice but always full of divers. Courses were the most expensive on the island, sometimes by as much ad 25%. As soon as you arrive the pressure is on to go diving asap even if you want to relax after your train/bus/ferry trip. There are many dive places on this island you'll find if you keep walking.

• Stayed March 2011
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Crystal dive resort was awesome if you are learning to dive with them. The accommodation is free throughout your (very cheap) diving courses and discounted if taking part in fun dives etc
The team are amazing, there is a member of staff for every language. They are all extremely proffessional and experienced and so helpful, not to mention a good laugh!
The bungalows are clean and have a tv. There is also a pool, bar and restaurant and Crystal is right on the beach close too the Pier. Ideal location.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple