“A little bit shabby bungalow”

Koh Tao Coral Grand Resort
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
“A little bit shabby bungalow”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The place was peacful and location was good, but nothing had done in couple of years, when we were there last time. The staff was very friendly and helpful and breakfast good . There are some new goodlooking resorts nereby, so we recomend facelift for Coral resort.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Heljä V

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I feel bad giving Coral Grand only 3 stars, because the time I spent there was absolutely amazing, but that was because of the great diving instructors and the fantastic time I had getting my Open Water certificate.

However, I can see why the other reviews don't speak highly of it. The room we had was fine for me, a simple fan room, and the attached bathroom had everything I needed, but it wasn't the easiest place to stay. We were in a party of three, with two doing the diving course and one mainly exploring the island. However the hotel was unable to provide two keys. That's not the end of the world but it just made things a bit harder.

The restaurant was a bit shabby. Breakfast was either an overpriced buffet (350 baht!) or a very little meal. I recommend going a little down the beach for a much better deal. Lunch was ok, slightly overpriced but we ate here whilst we studied for our exam.

The wifi in the restaurant (general hangout) failed one day, and the staff got very tetchy about people asking them what was wrong. One member of staff who worked in the restaurant cleverly gave me next doors wifi code, which was funny and useful.

However, I must say in terms of location it was fantastic, backed right onto the beach. But on general upkeep the hotel wasn't amazing, especially for what some people were paying. I had a fantastic time, but if you're not diving, maybe consider somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Upon checking in (with the unfriendly, unhelpful staff) I was told that I was required to pay a "management fee" of 100 baht to cover the free taxi and free wifi... So then why are there signs saying those things are FREE? Would have been nice to know about these extra costs, as they weren't listed in the booking and only conveniently popped up when I checked in.

Accommodation is okay, but it's on the far end of the beach away from the restaurants and shops, and the resort's own restaurant is mediocre and overpriced.

Search for better accommodations elsewhere that don't have hidden fees!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Coral Grand in one of their cheaper rooms. The front desk staff was very unfriendly when we arrived (however, later on in our stay, there was a nice and helpful woman at the front desk). We were told we had to check in with the dive center for our room, I don't know why... The dive center staff was very nice and made us feel welcome. The room was very plain, the shower head sprayed everywhere but in front! When turned on the sink faucet only dribbled water, not enough came out to wash our hands. The walls are paper thin, we could hear the telephone conversation in the next room. Our maid was terrible as well, our bed was not made properly the entire time. We tried to find somewhere else to stay, but it was high season and there were no rooms available anywhere.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Room was okay size however I don't think it had been properly cleaned when we got there, there was crushed soap all around the sink and half empty bottle of shampoo. To put it nicely there was someone else's 'stains' left in the toilet and half eaten food in the bin. So, yeah our first impressions weren't good! However, it is right in the front of the beach which is beautiful and just a short 5 minute walk to all the main restaurants and bars etc. We found the staff really friendly and the pool area was nice. Would find somewhere else to stay next time in koh Tao though!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Booked hotel for a holiday after a wedding in koh samui, room is disgusting it's basically a shed on stilts. There's been lizards in the room on a number of occasions and cockroaches in bathroom. We'll over priced its 100 times worse than a travel lodge, Air con hardly works and makes a racket so it's almost impossible to sleep at night and so hot that you need it running. Staff are very rude including the front reception and the bar staff, all the sun loungers are falling apart at the pool and the restaurant is poor.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank will f
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

On arriving to Koh Tao we were immediately scammed by the local taxis to take us to cheap accommodation on the beach. After being turned down from every hostel we arrived at the Coral Grand. The minute we got there they were rude and unhelpful. The worst part was after booking a ferry off koh Tao through thrm they were suppose to charter a free taxi. They never let us know when the taxi arrived and we ended up getting in the wrong one (and kicked out) forcing us to scramble to get a taxi to the peer. Next time I visit thus island, I will stay far away from coral grand.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends