“Disgusting, bed bugs, Mosquitos, dirty”

Koh Tao Coral Grand Resort
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
“Disgusting, bed bugs, Mosquitos, dirty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We came to kho Tao for the diving and liked the price combo for stay and diving course. Our first room was a fan room. It's super basic and really dirty, dead bugs and webs all over. No one cleans these rooms, the maids simply leave a new towel and maybe a new cover sheet but not bottom sheet or linens.
We requested to change to a AC room after our first 2 days. So when that came we went to the desk to change and suddenly the ppl in that room extended their stay. Suuuuure.

So next day we finally get our AC room for a 600 baht (20usd) a night fee. The AC is stuck on 24C (75.5F) and u cannot Change it. If I'm paying 20$ extra a night at this shythole for AC I want to be able to adjust it lower than that!
Oh and the best part..i wake up itching in the night and see blood stains on the sheets (sign of bed bugs) I see one and kill it..but realize I should have kept it as proof. So next night I wake up at 3 AM and what do u know, a big brown bed bug right under me. I took pics and bagged it this time as proof and will deal with it in the AM as I'm on the beach chairs now at 5am not wanting to lay in that bed bug infested room, and who knows if they got into my luggage or clothing and will carry on to my next destination or home!! Place is gross! Will see what mgmt will do about it in the morning, but we already planned to leave this morning.

On a side note the diving was great and the class was good..but hotel is gross!

The little guy with pony tail from Burma is nice.

• Stayed March 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
George Town, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I booked this resort for me and my boyfriend directly with their main office. Service was absolutely amazing and the attention to details was spot on. I actually managed to book the bungalow on the wrong dates, but they were very helpful when I contacted them later on to change it to the correct date.

We arranged our own transportation to Koh Tao, but was picked up at the pier by their free taxi.

Arrived to the resort and was gently guided through the whole process of checking in.

We booked a pool view bungalow. Absolutely beautiful resort, right on the beach on the northern end of the main beach, Sairee.

I am not a person that usually write reviews, but after reading the comments from other guest, I thought I had to. I am not sure if they stayed at the same resort as we did. There might have been a few minor details they should fix, but this would definitely not be something that could ruin anyone's holiday unless you are a very demanding person that does not understand where you are. Koh Tao is a small tropical island far away from main land so I can only imagine how difficult logistics can be at times and costly. Well, that is just my opinion.

The Restaurant was so nice. The staff was very friendly, especially the head of the kitchen. I could never remember his name, but he had colored or bleached hair :)

The dive center was the highlight of our stay. Super professional and beyond all expectations. It was very strictly controlled, but with the space for all the staff to be happy and helpful and full of energy. Even the manager of the whole operation was very approachable for any questions.

We have made this resort and dive center our favorite and will definitely come back again and again. Thank you to all of you for a great holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Had an amazing week here. We completed our PADI Open Water and Advanced course because we couldn't leave! All the instructors and staff were lovely and really made you feel at home. Even the cheaper rooms were good and you couldn't be closer to the beach.

• Stayed July 2012
Queenstown, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Before I review the hotel side, I must say I went for a dive with Coral Grand and the were amazing! The Crew were superb and my Dive Instructor John was Excellent and I would recommend anybody if they were to dive in Koh Tao to dive with Coral Grand.

However, The accommodation side was very poor. We had a leak in our toilet so the bathroom was flooding, the air conditioning didn't work, the fan squeeked all night, and the worst thing was we had a bird living in the ceiling which was very loud and stopped us from getting any sleep. We informed reception of what we were unhappy with and they told us everything would be fixed during the day. Nothing was done at all during our 3 night stay so we had to put up with everything.

The breakfast was worse than Bad. The sausages tasted like dog food and the french toast was inedible!

The location of the hotel is really good being on the beach and Koh tao Was an amazing place to be however it was just the accommodation that let us down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

To say we were disappointed is an understatement!!this hotel is way over priced..
I went to the reception desk and asked for a family room I was told that a room near the pool was available for about £60 a night...after half an hour of waiting (in the midday heat)I was finally going to be shown to a room however the original room had been taken in that half an hour!i was told there was a beach front bungalow free for about £85 a night, so we took it, went back up to reception to book and it turns out the extra bed we needed for the twins was going to make the room a £115 a night!!out of sheer frustration and with 2 tired and fraught 5 year olds I booked 2 nights...
Everything was shocking...the bathroom..I'm convinced our toilet was leaking as it was constantly wet and smelt... and the window was missing(just a curtain covering it)..we had a safe, however it was just sat on top of a table!!, the service, the noise, as its beach front people were outside till 2/3am talking, then at around 6/7am they seem to be doing everything possible outside the bungalow..the sun beds round pool are shocking, no service round pool and the breakfast is gross..the staff are also rude, for the same price in koh Samui (chaweng and bo put)....pure luxury..the grand coral tarnished our opinion of koh Tao which is a shame as we were really looking forward to it...the pictures on websites make it look good...don't be fooled, we couldn't wait to leave...

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I’d say, …quite a disappointment. I’m usually very positive on my reviews and do not sour easily, but for the cost, it just wasn’t worth it. The only good feature is the beach front location. The beach is nice for sure, but we’d stay elsewhere next time. First, the bathroom is a bloody death trap to get to. Steep stairs in a bungalow? No fridge and the TV didn’t work. Little things, sure, but nothing added up. There was construction going on early in the morning as well. We raised some concern over this and were not dealt with well.

This is my fourth trip to Thailand and when you stay in a larger place like this, you can lose the heart or drive to provide good service. The front desk was rude and disinterested in their job. We planned to stay 4 nights, but moved on after 2 and had a far greater experience elsewhere. If you’re not a diver there is absolutely no point to be here.

For being a veteran of the travel in Thailand at the mid-range price point, there are much better places to stay. Not horrific, but also less than average. You can do better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple