All reviewsa great place to meetnice common areafree breakfastsocial hostelair conmet great peoplefavourite hostelthree nightsthe main striphammockstvwifijunglemattressesasia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not as amazing as Spicypai. It was OK, mixed dorm not so clean, had to shower in the dark as it took a while for the fella to replace the light bulb. That said, you're not going to spend much time there anyway so it's alright for a nights sleep. Very sociable and a short walk to the beach! Cheap and cheerful!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have stayed at Spicy Tao for a few weeks and had such a good time. It is rustic, cheap, laid back and always full of cool travelers. For 200THB you can get a fan dorm room with free breakfast.

The crew I met at Spicy were such a laugh. The atmosphere was very social and everybody hangs around in the common area watching the multitude of movies on the hard-drive all day and laying about in hammocks. Then come night-time, everyone has a few drinks and the music gets a bit louder..

We went on a snorkel trip around Koh Tao which can be seen at http://tropicalnomad.com/spicy-tao-snorkel-trip/ .‎If you are looking for polished floors and hotel pools, you are in the wrong place. Spicy has cats, dogs and roosters as part of the family. All forms of insects running about as Spicy is set in a traditional Thai Jungle setting. The staff were cool guys and organised BBQ's at sunset view bar, pub crawls and forward travel for guests wanting to go on visa runs or get to Bangkok for a flight home.

I really enjoyed Spicy and think you will do!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking to have the time of your life and meet amazing people, stay at spicy. It's the place to be for a solo traveller, because of the layout and vibe, you are guaranteed to integrate and make friends and become part of the big spicy family.

Swing in a hammock all day watching movies, then drink the night away. Or go on one of the frequent organised tours - snorkelling, or to the best sunset view bar on the island. They often have an in-house BBQ with some of the tastiest chicken and pork & not to forget Tak's super special [--] sauce. Jungle juice night can also be fun... Ask at reception ;)

Personally I was supposed to stay for a night or two in spicy, but in total I think it was closer to a month, the place just sucks you in and feels like home. Thanks to te Sligo boys and Jain, I'll be back to spicy again, sooner or later.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I loved my time at Spicytao! It is by far the best backpackers to stay at in Koh Tao and one of my favorites in my 4 months of traveling in SE Asia. The owner is really helpful as are the Irish guys running it now. They made me feel welcome from the moment I arrived and were a lot of fun as well. It's really social there so it was easy to make friends to go out and hang with if you are solo. The fan dorms were really nice and clean and you can't beat the price! Cheapest beds on Koh Tao for sure. They also have a large loungin area complete with a flat screen and ENDLESS amounts of movies and tv shows for those afternoons when your hangover just won't go away. I also really loved the location as it is only a few minutes walk from the heart of it all (Sairee beach and bars/restos) but it's tucked away in a nice, natural outdoor setting so you escape the chaos and can chill with nature (and a dog, some cats, Charlie the crazy chicken) and really enjoy island life. The guys also organize a lot of activities, bbq's, onward travel, taxis to the Castle Party, etc. and are a wealth of knowledge. They are eager to help and keep everyone happy, not to mention they are hilarious ;) Even one night there wasn't a bed available for me so they let me sleep in a hammock since I didn't want to go to another hostel. Overall I had an AMAZING time there, stayed longer than anticipated and was sad to leave due to the family I'd found and made. If you want to have a great time with really cool, fun, friendly, social people and stay in a nice place for a great price- stay here. I miss Spicytao and would (and did!) recommend it to everyone on their way to Koh Tao. It's the best!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I came to Koh Tao and intended to stay for about four days but ended up staying nearly two weeks because I had such a blast at Spicytao and didn't want to leave. I met some amazing people staying here and the social atmosphere was great. The guys running the hostel were a big part of why the place was so much fun. They plan snorkeling trips, BBQ's and other things that will make your stay in Koh Tao completely memorable. This was one of my favorite hostels during all of my travels throughout SE Asia, make sure to check it out!

• Stayed: June 2013