“Highlight of our trip”
Review of Glow Scuba

Glow Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: Ultra Violet Night Diving and Snorkeling, Koh Tao - An experience like no other! UV Dive or Snorkel with Glow Scuba & expect to see a magical array of florescent colours in the ocean. See corals and other marine life in a different dimension! If your coming to Koh Tao its a true must see, a mind blowing experience you won't ever forget. We are based at Goodtime Adventures in Sairee Beach where you can UV Dive or UV Snorkel off the beach. Also based at Master Divers in Mae Hadd where we offer primarily UV Diving. We only take out small groups too so you will feel safe to enjoy the magical experience.What is coral fluorescence? Well under certain light wavelengths some species of corals exhibit a phenomenon known as fluorescence where the coral itself appears to glow in shades of green, red or blue. Corals that normally appear dull brown in the daytime or under white light can take on vivid rainbow hues. Corals fluorescence when certain pigments inside them react to strong light absorbing the cooler blue end of the spectrum and reflecting back greens or reds. The phenomenon of Coral Fluorescence is still full of mystery and the reasons why certain coral fluoresce are to this date unknown. Strangely enough not all corals fluoresce, and only a few species possesses this unique property, which further complicates the search for the reason why corals glow in the first place. There are several theories provided by scientist, and perhaps the most likely reason is that it acts as a kind of “sun block” for the coral protecting the zooxanthallae inside the coral from the harmful rays of the sun. Marine Biologists say that this property could perhaps protect shallow coral from bleaching or provide deeper coral the ability to absorb the UV light from the sun and reflect it back to the zooxanthallae allowing them to photosynthesize in the absence of sufficient sunlight.
Hertford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

An amazing diving experience! it was really well organised and the team were lovely, it was such a special experience to dive at night, it was one of the highlights of our holiday.

Visited March 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Professional service. Amazing experience. Would recommend to anyone visiting Thailand that wants to do something different and truly unique.

Koh Tao, Thailand
“Out of this World!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

An experience like no other! I'm an instructor with a couple of thousand dives and quite a few of those are night dives and this has to be one of the best!

Firstly we were taken to a quiet dive site on a small speed boat away from all the other night boats so we would not have any chance or bumping into any of those normal night divers! We were given a thorough safety briefing and then told about all the creatures that completely change under the UV torch light... tube worms that appear to have stripy tentacles, bright luminous yellow Goat fish, red scorpion fish and corals more vibrant than we had ever seen... he was not wrong!! A marker light was attached to each of our tanks so we wouldn't loose each other then we rolled in and descended into an Ultra violet wonderland! It really did just glow everywhere! my favorite part was getting up close to the mushroom corals and actually watching them feed! We ended up doing over an hour dive and we did not want to go up! Amazing!

The greatest thing was Dennis our dive leader was just as excited as we were! He said it is pretty new technology and has only just arrived on the island recently so there are new things being discovered all the time! I cant wait to get back into that trippy world again, Night diving will never be the same!

Visited February 2013
Uk, Herts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“An excellent experience and well run”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I came to Koh Tao in particular to go diving. Whilst I was there I came across glow scuba which was a scuba dive by night with uv torches. The whole experience was out of this world. Seeing the fish by day was one thing but by night it was a whole different experience and highly recommended. The instructor was very knowledgeable and only takes out small groups to ensure that everyone gets their money's worth and an experience you will never forget. When I next revisit koh tao I will defiantly be giving glow scuba another go!!

Visited March 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

WOW! Thanks Dennis, what an awesome experience! I've done well over 1000 dives and this is up there as one of the best dives I've ever done.

Loved the background you gave about the science behind fluorescence in marine life, it was really informative.

Also impressed with the care and safety you showed on the dive we did. I was genuinely shocked with the length of the dive we had - time completely flew by! The long dive made me also really glad of the speedboat we took directly back to the shop - so convenient.

Cannot recommend this enough, makes you consider aquatic life in a whole different way. I'm just delighted that this has not ruined normal diving for me..... it was so good I was worried it would!

Thanks again, I'll definitely be back!

Visited February 2013