“Amazing experience!!!”

Apnea Total - Day Courses
Ranked #38 of 102 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Apnea Total Koh Tao is the headquarters for the network of Freediving schools based around the world, it is an independent organization established in 2003, and the first freediving school in Southeast Asia operating for over 14 yrs. Monica Ganame (Argentina) and Eusebio Saenz de Santamaria (Spain) are the founders, the duo and their team are internationally recognized freedive instructors with vast experience in competitions, training and freediving education. Apnea Total has featured in the countless media publications worldwide that identify the school as the most reputable centre for freedive education and training. Their qualifications include dives deeper than 100 meters and static breath-holds of over 8 minutes. The Apnea Total Team promotes freedive education and safety from beginner to instructor level. To date, over 12,000 students have successfully completed Apnea Total courses. Currently there are schools teaching AT system worldwide.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I followed the 2 days beginner course.

When we first came to the shop we had a long chat with Sandrine. Without knowing it, she found the words to reassure my girlfriend who had had a diving accident a few years before. Since then she was too scared to dive again and could barely do some snorkeling.

During the theorical courses we've learnt different breathing techniques and all the things we needed to feel confident with our divings. They told us how our body was going to react and how we had to deal with that. They really gave us the keys we needed to feel relaxed.

Once in the water, we've put in pratice the breathing techniques we had learnt a few hours before. The small group (1-2 people per instructor in our case) was perfect. The instructors didn't try to rush us. We took our time and dived at our own speed. It was all a matter of going to the depth we were confident with. After each dive, we were told what we did well and what we had to improve.

Those guys are passionate, professional and friendly.
Our diving with them was definitely one of the highlight of our trip.

So sad we had already booked our tickets for Bangkok otherwise we would have followed the advanced course with no hesitation.

All reviews
"complete beginner"
"excellent training"
"deep water"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this school"
"super friendly staff"
"student ratio"
"felt very safe"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have never thought I can hold my breath any longer than a minute or dive deeper than some 5-10m. First day of each class (I have taken freediver and advance class) everyone went easily far beyond. It is amazing to discover mammals dive reflex and learn about human body. With the way Apnea Total teaches its students (2 students per instructor), it is relaxing and easy. Every day was a bit of theory followed by practice in sea. Safety instruction and training included. Michal M.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Freediving with Apnea Total was the best experience I had in the month I spent on Koh Tao. Much different from the plethora of dive shops on the island, Apnea Total provides a chilled out and fun way to explore underwater. The instructors were so nice and pleasant, Stevie especially, and I couldn't believe how much I learned. The breathing techniques and freediving aren't as difficult as one would expect and it's incredible to dive with no dive tank. A fantastic experience with great people that I highly recommend. It is addicting though! Plan to do the advanced course because the beginner one won't be enough!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have been on a Fun Freedive with them on their boat and it was very good. Could practice my skills and had a good experience with the people working for that company as well. I would definitely recommend it and do it again.