“terrible”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

This beach has signs at its entrance expressly forbidding anyone to bring thier own food and drink to the beach. It was filthy, and therefore one can only sumise that the trash, bottles, plastic, cans and wrappers came from the bar/resort serving it. Those using the beach seemed to care not about leaving their rubbish behind; which we witnessed. I cleared much rubbish up myself and took it to the bar staff who did not seem to care either. I found an empty bin around the back of their bar, and half filled it.

Visited March 2013

42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“My favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I can't forget Aow Leuk Bay!

We ended up staying at Awo Leuk bay for 12nights. But, the last 5 days or so was kind of wasted because of strong wind. It is hard to swim. Also, the beach can be dirty in the morning. But, the staff from the accommodations are busy cleaning up the beach every morning. And there is so much waste on the beach! They clean up every morning. It is a very big job, I guess.

When this side is windy, the other side, like Sairee and Mahad beach was calm.

But, my favorite is still the Aow Leuk beach.

This is small, cozy beach where you can swim, snorkel and dive.

Swimming beach was important for me as I couldn't do snorkeling well. So, it was perfect beach for all of us.

Our children one day swam to Shark island from here. We didn't know until they came back. In the end we were quite worried not knowing where they went. It took about 2 hours or so till they came back. Our son saw a big turtle, jelly fish and lots of beautiful fish. Our daughter said she was busy swimming and following her brother and didn't see anything! She also got quite tired on the way back and couldn't swim well because of current. I still think they were really lucky to have the such a calm day.

We used scooters, so it was not a problem to go anywhere from here.

After I came back,I still think of Aow Leuk beach! And I wish we have hotter weather here. When I came back, I jumped into the sea water even though it wasn't warm enough. Because I had this urge to jump into water since I came back from Awo Leuk! Awo Leuk changed me to like the beach where I live.

Both sides cafe/restaurant are good. (Awo Leuk II cafe & Green field?) I fell in love with the Awo Leuk II cafe on the first day when we just went there. The view from here is beautiful and I love the atmosphere/design of this cafe. Green fiedl has got floor style as well and one can almost lie down and enjoy the view and drink!

The food at Awo Leuk II is very nice, the drinks are very tasty. The owners are very friendly, the wating staff are not trained with 'friendly' smile, but they seem to be more genuine than in other places.

Since we loved the place, we wanted to stay at Awo Leuk beach and awe got accommodation at Awo Leuk Bangalore (There are 3 accommodations" Awo Leuk, Awo Leuk II and Greenfield?) Awo Leuk II and Greefield have cafe/restaruant. We stayed at Awo Leuk which is in the middle.

We had the beachfront accommodation and every morning before taking a shower, we could jump in the water and swim a bit. It was sooo good to be able to swim in any time! And the both cafes where we could get food and drinks! What a treat!

The accommodation at Awo Leuk - the beach front one - is very basic, but the room size for us was good enough. 2 king size beds.

It seems Aow Leuk II accommodation is small, but pretty and romantic. I peeked into the room one day when it was opened for cleaning.

Aow Leuk bangaloo where we stay is run by older couple. We didn't have to do anything with the old man who was described here very bad and we arranged everything with the wife. As said before, this accommodation has very basic. They could improve putting matts in front of the room to rub off sand, another matt for the bathroom, a rubbish bin in the room, at least one cup( there is no complimentary water). So, small stuff, but we managed it. I simply asked to the lady and she always gave me what I asked for. e.g extra blanket for our children as they had to share the bed.

We didn't get any discount for staying for 12 nights, but, it was good price for the beachfront and we enjoyed it very much, so it was all fine.

Both sides Awo Leuk II and Greenfield accommodation/cafe are run by the family members of the old couple. So, it is all family beach business.

I dream of being in Awo Leuk beach again! Sun, Swim, Beach, Food, Drinks, Scooter!

Warning: if you don't have many days as we stayed, please check the weather as wind can get quite strong on this beach.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank PoppyN L
Kent, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“good snorkelling-usually!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited on a particularly windy day so there were quite high waves and quite a bit of debris washed up, but apparently this only happens when the wind is coming from a certain direction. Last time we visited it was calm and perfect for snorkelling.
Quite a steep access road, little bike couldn't manage hills on way back so had to get off and walk part of it
! It is a popular spot for dive schools to use for novice divers as it has a clear sandy bottom, perfect to practice skills. There are areas of coral on both sides of the bay so popular area for snorkelling and diving. The restaurant on the rocks overlooking the bay- Aow Leuk 2 I think- has a fantastic view over the bay and the dive boats, didn't eat there but the mango shakes were delicious!

Visited February 2013
Frederiksberg, Denmark
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very windy and quite a lot of trash”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Maybe we hit that beach on a bad day. The waves were high and made it hard for snorkeling. There was quite an amount of trash laying around. It is beautiful as most of Koh Tao but I likes other beaches more.

Visited February 2013
Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Quiet beach, big waves, snorkelling but dirty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Came here by motorbike - the roads to get here are mainly smooth with a small off road style bit as you come up to the beach. Our normal motorbike did it fine though!

The beach here is quiet and small, so a good getaway from Sairee. The sand is more like gravel/stones. The waves here can get really big which makes it more fun than the other beaches! The only problem is all the rubbish that washes up from the mainland onto the beach.

We swam out about 35m to the snorkelling site (buoyed off section that you can see from the beach) and spent a good hour out there. We saw all the fish nearly that we saw whilst diving! Including banner fish and trigger fish. It was quite choppy when we were there so be careful by the rocks.

The restaurant on the right as you walk to the beach is really nice. It has nice views of the sea and beach and the food is reasonably priced - we did only eat noodle soup though!

We came back to this beach a few times :)

Visited December 2012