“Beef Nacho Surprise”

Ranked #41 of 191 Restaurants in Koh Tao
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We have breakfast, sandwiches, wraps, pubgrub classics i.e bangers & mash, daily rotisserie chicken, home made ice cream, cocktails, ice cold beers, imported ciders, a fine selection of burgers and some Thai dishes to choose from. We show live sports shown on our 6 different screens. Located in Mae Haad on Koh Tao just a two minute stroll from the piers directly opposite Koh Tao Central Hostel & Island Travel. Reef Sports Bar and Restaurant is a great place to meet friends, have a full on meal, grab a quick snack, enjoy a speciality coffee etc. Open daily from 7am - 11pm we have an 8ft pool table which is 60 baht per hour, 3 networks of fast free wifi, numerous board games & travel books to enjoy your time here. We really hope you enjoy the "Reef Bar Experience" and please review us on TripAdvisor. Thank you Johnny
Portland, Oregon
“Beef Nacho Surprise”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I wandered into the bar for dinner and I made the mistake of ordering the Beef Nachos. It tasted fine if a bit over-spiced and I felt fine afterwards...the next morning I woke up incredibly nauseous. During the day I vomited and had diarrhea. It basically ruined the next day's snorkeling excursion we had already planned. I am still feeling under the weather 2 days later. I would NOT recommend eating at this restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank keyestones1984
johnnychopsticks, Owner at Reef Sports Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Customer
We are very sorry to hear that you have been unwell during your vacation on Koh Tao. It’s strange that this mysterious sickness has coincided with a visit to the Reef Sports Bar & Restaurant, but we honestly believe that your sickness was not related in any way to the meal you have eaten at Reef Bar.
During the last 10 days we have sold 9 portions of beef nachos, 6 portions of chilli con carne (made with the same sauce) and 11 portions of potato skins (filled with same sauce). All of these dishes have without any doubt been made from the same batch of chilli con carne sauce that you have eaten with your nachos on your visit to Reef.
If you are still here on Koh Tao we would be happy to show you these sales figures from our POS software.
Other ingredients to the dish include the sour cream, guacamole, jalapeno peppers, cheddar cheese and of course the corn chips.
1. Due to the large quantity of the fajitas dish we sell, we buy and use a lot of sour cream & guacamole, both stored in the fridge, these ingredients are both fresh and uncontaminated for sure, otherwise everybody would be sick.
2. Our Jalapeno peppers are stored in the fridge in the original jar from the supplier.
3. Cheddar cheese, (again, we use a lot of cheese) is of course kept refrigerated at the constant required temperature.
4. Corn chips are fried just before serving, again cannot be contaminated.
Our fridge and freezer temperatures are absolutely constant 24 hours every day. Even if we have a power cut during the night, the automatic switch over system ensures that our alternative power supply cuts in immediately. Of course this means our fridge or freezer temperatures cannot rise, which could allow bacteria to grow and contaminate the food being stored within.
I made a point to eat the beef nachos for my own dinner on the same day your review appeared I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and felt great afterwards.
Another factor to also consider is that approximately 75% of our customer base are “locals”. By this I mean they are employed as dive instructors & dive masters at local dive schools. Some are also long term students that are studying various dive courses here, these guys are eating and drinking at Reef regularly (some of them every day) and if anybody had become sick we would be the first to know. If you look back up at the sales figures and ratio of locals/ tourists it’s obvious that some of our local customers must have eaten either beef nachos, chili con carne or potato skins at Reef Bar recently.

Our kitchen staff at Reef Bar are are all long term employees, we have a stable team here. We insist that all three of them even the dish washer wear aprons and hats to ensure cleanliness and zero chance of food contamination, and as you probably noticed on your visit our kitchen is on the ground floor directly behind the bar. At any time our customers can see into the kitchen and meet and chat with our correctly dressed staff, we have nothing to hide or conceal and you’re welcome to pay us a visit to inspect the kitchen any time. You will see the stainless steel preparation surfaces, utensils, pots and pans etc are cleaned to a very high standard. I myself have been employed in food and beverage positions on cruise ships for a two year period and have learned very well how and why it’s essential to maintain a clean kitchen & bar working area.

The conditions within our operation are a world apart from some potential health hazards that can be seen on Koh Tao. I myself have had food poisoning before from eating the very tasty & amazing food that can be found on the street stalls here, probable cause is inadequate storage. Often these vendors are great cooks in fact the best on the island at Thai food but sometimes they have no fridge, and raw chicken etc is stored in an ice box which in tropical temperatures cannot maintain the correct cool temperature all through the day and evening. You can eat great tasty pancakes street side on Koh Tao too, but I have often seen the vendors handling money, then cooking a pancake whilst touching their faces, hair etc, have you ever wondered where they can wash their hands during a 10 hour shift? My point is that you could have become sick from many different sources and maybe not even from food or drink. You may have caught an airborne virus; this is commonplace at the moment and can make the patient feel very unwell for a few days. Also too much sun/ dehydration can adversely affect some people.
Well as I’ve said it’s a great shame you had become ill and as a traveller myself I can understand how this affects your holiday, you mentioned you missed a snorkel trip. As a gesture of good will I would like to book you and your partner on the snorkel trip if you’re still here, at our cost. Across the street from Reef Bar you’ll find us in Island Travel & Tours during the day, though if you have already left and we don’t see you, we do hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.
Best Regards
Johnny & Kung

“Veggie options are great”
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Thanks to Johnny for listening and acting on the veggie options. Loads more now on the menu and still top notch food. A great atmosphere, free pool, cheap drinks and excellent staff. You must drop by and try it out for yourself though.

“The food, service and atmosphere was awesome. You must visit the reef if you visit koh Tao. The owner is fabulous, Johnny staf”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The food, service and atmosphere was awesome. You must visit the reef if you visit koh Tao. The owner is fabulous, Johnny stafford. Thanks for your hospitality.

“More vegetarian options please”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Can we have a veggie burger or at least 4 veggie options
But I have to say you have
Great friendly staff
Cold beers
Good food
Free pool

A great place to hang out

johnnychopsticks, Owner at Reef Sports Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hello Si Brookes

Thank you for your review, we have just today introduced two new vegetarian options to our menu.
Potato, Cheese & Onion Pie served with mixed garden vegetables and mash, 240 baht.
Indian style Vegetable Curry served with Poppadoms, Mango Chutney & Steamed Rice, 230 baht.
We really want to introduce a veggie burger soon and am trying a few different recipes at the moment, if you have a favorite recipe for the veggie pattie it would be great to hear from you, please inbox me, johnny@reefbarkohtao.com
Thank-you
Koh Tao, Thailand
“!!!WUNDERBAR!!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

the perfect place on the island, to look every kind of sport. verry good food really nice people.. familar athmosphere! a place to go!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2012