All reviewstanote bayeco cottagestaxi serviceshared bathroomno air conditioninglovely poolbreakfast was includedscuba divingbeach barbeach frontfanbahtislandpierbungalowtaxistao
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Montalay offers a mix of very new rooms with high ceilings and older bungalows in the bush. We stayed in a new room which was very nice BUT it is very difficult to sleep due to an a/c problem! The staff fienged interest and concern about the problem but it was never fixed and doubt it will be. Every few seconds there is a 'wheeze and bang' sound if you are on level 2 on the right hand side (facing up the driveway). So, avoid these rooms! The food is good, the bay is absolutely beautiful. Don't forget supplies as the shop does not sell much. Wifi is good, if you are into that ;).

Room Tip: Not level 2.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

So this "resort" is def not a 4-5 star place. The location on Tanote bay is very secluded & the snorkeling is phenomenal !! It's not an easy place to get to via motorbike so if u plan to explore u should plan to get a stronger bike or else u will spend a lot for taxis or boats. The resort has some great qualities all of which r due to the lovely bay. The food is beyond bad however. I am from NYC & I get better Thai food here!! The breakfast buffet is a sad sight & the juices r powdered!! My husband never ate it once & I stuck to the plain yogurt. The tropical villas r very small but cozy. They r not fancy but the bed is comfy & there is a nice tv & a fridge. Hot water was pretty good too. For the price during low season it was decent. The day we left they provided some new badly needed sun chairs!! During our stay they had a sad display of white plastic chairs & a few adirondack chairs which r very uncomfortable. The new chairs were lovely & I wished I had gotten a chance to try them. The staff had a few smiling faces but the lady who seemed in charge never smiled at us once & we r super duper friendly!! This is simply a 3 star joint so don't get too hyped up about getting great service cuz it's not gonna happen. But if ur a nature lover u will prob enjoy the location. The prices at all 4 hotels on tante bay charge more for everything. 60 baht for an iced coffee compared to 30baht elsewhere. All in all it was just ok but the beautiful bay was worth it all!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at Montalay Beach resort and we were very happy that we chose this particular establishment, which was on Tanote beach. Getting there entailed a tricky and sometimes uncomfortable 15 minute ride to the opposite side of Koh Tao to the main beach. But it was worth really worth the effort.

We had a standard room with AC which was of more than ample size. It was modern, stylish and clean - recessed lighting, flat screen TV, good quality bed linen and a real bonus was a bedside light that was good enough to read by! Also included were a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities, neither of which we were expecting.

The reception and restaurant area were adjacent to the pool and beach. The food was more than adequate and not extortionate at around 150Baht for a local dish but, if you want to splash out, do try the Chicken Grande Mere which at 300 Baht was something special. The menu was surprisingly extensive. Large Singha beers were 120 Baht, again not over priced. The restaurant is open sided and is on two levels. It proved to be a good place to watch the fine assortment of guests!

The beach is not enormous and, like all the beaches on Koh Tao, the sand is quite gritty. It was never busy whilst we were there. The water is clear and there are good opportunities to snorkel, but beware of the rocks and coral just under the surface. There are a few other establishments along the beach that offer accommodation and reasonable fare.

What we really liked about the resort was the relaxed atmosphere of the place and the ever attentive service from staff who appeared to be enjoying their work, even those who looked a little grumpy!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike_Fibonacci
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Montalay is a quiet, tranquil, diverse and friendly place to stay.

My toddler and I stayed at Montalay for 17 days (extended from an original 6 day booking). We stayed in the Superior Room WO/AC+Breakfast 1800BHT. Cottage W/AC+Breakfast 1600BHT and a cottage WO/AC-Breakfast 900BHT during peak season-August.

Montalay offer Scuba diving, Tanote Bay is incredible for snorkeling, you can find four restaurants in total on the bay however I preferred the food at a restaurant called Moon Sun that was an approximate 3 minute drive towards the center. There is a massage. spa and sauna room and also a toddler play area with AC.

Taxi's can cost a fair bit if you have a hankering to go into the center everyday but personally that suits me just fine. The food wasn't so great however there are other choices so again, no real complaint here.

I found all the staff surprisingly loving, helpful and friendly to my toddler and I and they would often scoop him up and whisk him off to play whilst I was trying to finish breakfast or just collect my thins from the beach.

I highly recommend Montalay for someone who wishes to have a quiet, stress free holiday somewhere beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna_Xavier
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the tree top bungalow with a fan which surprisingly, wasn't too uncomfortably hot! The service was good, everyone was polite and helpful although the manager and one of the ladies in the diving bit were a little dismissive, not rude but not the same level of service we'd received from everyone else at Montalay or in other resorts. The location is stunning and very peaceful and it's good value for money compared to many other resorts. If you'rfront a big fan of big creepy crawlies (spiders especially) steer clear of the tree top rooms and go for a more expensive option! We had a side plate sized spider in the room one night, a
Cockroach/ beetle thing and a frog (unfortunately after 9.30 pm so there was no one about to help with pest control!). This by no means ruined our stay though and can't be helped given the location I suppose.

• Stayed: August 2013