Montalay Beach Resort
$73
$57
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
$131
$108
$249
$123
  • Breakfast included
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$66
$39
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$45
$41
$96
$70
Agoda.com
Aminjirah Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$51
$148
$137
Agoda.com
All reviewstanote baytaxi serviceshared bathroomtropical fishdive centregreat diving schoolno air conditioningbeautiful baythe hotel offerslovely poolbreakfast was includedrent a scooterdiving coursefun divesbeach baropen waterbeach front
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel is situated on the opposit side of the harbour. They got a hotel pick up at the harbour.
A new hotel situated by the beach with a fantastic view and a nice little beach bar.
The staff were great, especially one of the guys working in the restaurants.
The only "bad" thing were the road from the hotel in to the harbour, but this is under construction and will soon be much better. The hotel also got their own taxi service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jeanett J
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a few days at Montalay Resort....
We declined the first bungalow we were shown as a shared bathroom was not acceptable and we settled upon A006 which was very clean and comfortable and tucked away in the trees... Perfect!!
Tanote Bay offers some of the best snorkling I've seen anywhere (not that I've been everywhere) and while I did take a couple of dives with the company associated with the resort (very professional and friendly.. thanks Bob) the sealife around Tanote Bay is as spectacular and diverse as any you would see diving nearby.
The biggest disappointment was the lack of fresh seafood available on the island (I guess it shouldnt have come as a surprise given the locals desire to preserve the sealife for the enjoyment of snorklers and divers) but I really had hoped for crab curry to go with the cold Singha!!
No stay on a Thai beach would be complete without a daily massage and the lady at the end of the beach is the only one offering such a service...
Montalay Resort in my opinion is the only place to stay in Tanote Bay... the rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and attentive and the prices reasonable.
We did note that at other places along the beach staff were not particularly interested in 'service' perhaps due to the fact that many of them are imported from Burma and as such are paid a pittance...
Tanote Bay is more of a chillout relaxing place rather than a party beach and all in all I would recommend this resort and bay as a destination for couples looking for some quiet time or famillies looking for a relaxing and safe environment.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BahrainMacpac
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We found this quiet little beach resort on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a shot. Best decision we ever made. The Montalay Beach resort is tucked away in a small bay on the east side of Ko Tao and is a 15-20 min drive by 4WD from Mae Had, the island's pier. We were picked up from the pier by a smiley driver (this is a free service) and driven to the resort. The cement road ceased being cement halfway to the resort and that is when we realized why a 4WD is the best way to get around on Ko Tao. If you're one to rent a bike on the island then be sure that you're a seriously good rider if you want to get to and from Montalay.

We had booked and paid for our room in advance directly with Montalay so check-in was smooth. We got a really comfortable sea view room in the new building - they also have villas (and bungalows, I think). The resort's restaurant (opens 7am and closes 11pm), our next stop, is next to the pool and faces the sea. Nice view, comfortable pool. The beach is a 2 min walk from the restaurant and in 5 min you are in the warm waters of the Gulf of Thailand.

The beach is shared by a few other properties but it was never crowded, thought it was always very active. Snorkelers, divers, kayakers, swimmers - there's always someone on the reef. The reef itself is a snorkeler's delight. We even saw 3 small reef sharks (a sign that the reef is still healthy) and at least 60 to 75 species of fish.

Breakfast is not buffet style, instead they have 4 set menus on the menu card, from where you can choose. It can get a little tiresome if you're staying longer but the staff are friendly and will mix-and-match between the set menus. You need to sign in for pool towels and bringing towels from the bathroom in your room is discouraged. The flip flop shaped pool is clean and temperature controlled. There is a resort dive school that trains amateurs in the pool so don't bump into the divers. Keep an eye on kids by the pool, the deep side is seriously deep.

The resort is child friendly and, as is so endearing to both us animal lovers, has 2 resident dogs and a couple of cats. They keep out of your way but are friendly. If you're afraid of dogs, this is a great place to go and see how little a dog can bother you. The dive school cat is always lazing around somewhere and there is a black tomcat that hangs around breakfast time meowing his way into your heart.

For those who don't want to risk riding, the hotel will take you to Mae Had (the busy part of Ko Tao) in a 4WD for B100 but you need to book your ride. Taxis leave at fixed times. Getting back should be discussed with the driver. Set a return time, pick-up location and the fare (always check if he's quoting the total or if its a per person cost). This is highly convenient because getting around in Ko Tao is difficult and they try to make it a little simpler for you with this idea.

Overall, this is a great, value for money resort and we will certainly go back.

Room Tip: Get the sea view room in the new building. You get a nice view of the sea from between the tree tops.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank mraquamarine
Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you are looking to stay in a quieter location, this is worth a look. We managed to get a great price on our accommodation with breakfast included. The room was very good and the food a lot better than expected (after reading other reviews of this property). You don’t have to eat at the hotel, there are 3 or 4 other restaurants on the beachfront. The drive to the hotel from the pier is a bit daunting, very steep and slippery when wet. If hiring a motorbike, a scooter will have trouble getting up and down some of the roads and you will be better of with a quad. The hotel offered a free shuttle service for pick up and quite cheap daily transfers - use the hotel service if possible, very expensive if you use the local taxi/transport. Overall, a pleasant experience, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank edjo2131
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was led to this resort by complete and utter accident, when I decided to push my last date in Koh Tao by an extra day right before boarding my ferry. I walked out of the pier, suitcase in tow, when a gentleman right outside convinced me to give Montalay a shot. The brochure seemed enticing, but what nailed it for me was the free taxi ride to the rather far off part of the island which would have cost me a fortune So, I excitedly hopped onto the taxi and was greeted by a beautiful 600 baht cottage, basic, non AC but well appointed. Shared bathroom though.

The snorkeling there was fantastic, the beach was not too crowded and was filled with interesting people from all over. Not the best beach, but having such a pleasant resort next to it made up for the otherwise poor swimming experience (very shallow water - for better swimming visit ao leuk!). The staff was very helpful; besides being always courteous, I left a few things at my hotel room before leaving and they very kindly couriered it back to me. The free wifi was tremendously convenient too. The food in the resort was average, a little too westernised for my liking, but that seems to be what most of the guests like. A little pricey too, but I think the quality makes it worth it. Killer pancakes though!

I'd love to revisit this resort!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo