“Small, friendly place with great early morning diving.”
Review of New Way Diving

New Way Diving
Ranked #11 of 97 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the 1st boat diving koh tao's best dive sites every morning, just to avoid the crowds. We offer small groups ( maximum four people) giving you the personalized service you deserve. we offer PADI courses from open water to dive master, and are one of the only shops to dive sail rock twice a week.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I completed my Advanced Open Water course with New Way (taught by Graham), and had a great time doing it. Small classes (or even one-on-one) is a real bonus here, as are the early dives. Leaving for a dive at 6am might not be everybody's cup of tea, but at Koh Tao it is the best way to avoid the hordes from other dive companies that arrive later on. Knowledgeable instructors, friendly DMs and DMTs, and a cosy feel to the place made my week spent with New Way very pleasant indeed :)

There are newer reviews for New Way Diving

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We did our Advanced Open Water certificates with New Way Diving and were very satisfied. Jim our instructor was great - friendly and very professional. We felt safe the whole time. The boat and all equipment was in good order, and the course-work was presented in a way that helped us to learn, without ignoring the importance of learning it.
The only downer was the accommodation. Whilst New Way is reasonably priced, many of the other companies also offer accommodation when doing a course. Our bungalow at Bow Thong Resort was dirty when we arrived. The bathroom was full of mould, the pillow was like a rock and smelt really bad, the floor wasn't swept, the fly screens were broken, and worst of all the staff acted like we were troublemakers because we were not happy.
New Way talked with the resort and at least they cleaned the room for us, but then we felt like we had to hide 'the key of shame' for the rest of our stay! We wondered if they would even serve us in the restaurant with their "you just diving, you scumbags deserve nothing" attitude!
To top it off someone on the staff tried to steal a phone after we left it in our room. Whilst it was our stupidity that forgot it, and New Way staff were great when we called them, going straight away to pick it up and posting it back to us, when we received the phone back it was locked for 22 million minutes, as someone had been trying to crack the lock-code all day!
But anyway, back to New Way - fabulous company with friendly, professional staff, (they should just make sure their accommodation deals are up to scratch). New Way also a company that were honest and trustworthy, something to appreciate in Thailand!

1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I did a refresher course & one fun dive with New Way Diving. I wasn't ask for my open water license which surprised me.
For the refresher I completed a questionnaire to see how much I remember. Lots of questions I was not able to answer, however no one reviewed the form with me after.
I was also surprised that I was not asked to complete & sign a health questionnaire nor any kind of liability waiver.
Staff were friendly & the practical refresher training as well as the dive itself were done professionally.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I did our PADI open water course through New Way this month. Neither of us had dived before, I wasn't even sure it was something I wanted to do, and we found the experience to be absolutely wonderful - in no small part due to the awesomeness of New Way's staff.

While there are an awful lot of diving schools on Koh Tao, I highly recommend New Way because small groups are guaranteed (meaning you get much more personal attention from the instructor and a lot of flexibility) and because the people who work there and hang out there are likeable and welcoming. It's also next to a store with incredibly cheap beer. ;)

When we arrived on Koh Tao, we were picked up at the pier, and Jim set us up straight away in our free accommodation at Prik Thai. We were kind of thinking that we'd sort something else out if it was grotty or loud (we were warned it might be the latter, as it's right in the centre of Sairee), but it actually turned out to be very clean, comfortable and quiet, and we stayed there the rest of our time on the island.

On the education front, our instructor was Graham (hope I spelt that right); he was very funny and explained everything clearly. We'd watch the DVD and then complete a knowledge review with Graham. He often explained things much better than the PADI educational materials did, particularly when it came to the surface interval tables. The only negative point about the education segment was that when we were learning about the diving equipment, there wasn't any available at the shop for Graham to demonstrate with. It would have been good to see the cylinder/BCD/regulator set up before getting on the boat for the first time.

We did the confined water section in shallow water off the coast of Nangyuan Island. I thought it was awesome that we were in the ocean, rather than in a pool, and it meant that we got to see reef fish during our first couple of times in the water.

Our instructor for the dives was David. He was supportive, patient and entertaining. One of the girls in our 4 person group found it difficult to understand his French accent, and ended up moving to another group. We personally had no problems and found him very easy to understand. And, of course, once you're underwater, accents don't matter!

My boyfriend and the other girl in our group took to diving straight away, but I personally found some of the skills difficult - particularly taking off and replacing the mask, because I would automatically inhale through my nose - obviously a bad thing when underwater. David did a great job of making sure I could comfortably complete skills but without compromising the experience for the other two. For example, when it became clear that I was too nervous to take off the mask during one of the open water dives, he signalled for the dive to continue (so the others still got a decently long dive). Later on, he told me that if I could come back the next day, he would give me more time to practice the skill.

The next day, he was able to incorporate me into another group's first open water dive, and allowed me to complete the task at the end of the dive. This reduced some of the pressure as I knew that, if I failed the task, it wouldn't inconvenience anyone else; we'd be heading out of the water anyway! Another girl on the boat was in a similar situation to me, and her instructor Chloe had also allowed her to come back that day and complete the necessary skills for her open water. Both of us managed it, which was awesome. It was good knowing that I wasn't the only one who needed a little extra practice!

When someone asked me how I was feeling before the final dive and I said "I think I'll be able to do it", David overheard and said "You will!"; without an attitude like that from my instructor I'd probably have given up and gone back to snorkelling. I am so glad I learnt to dive as seeing the marine life at 18 metres deep is a truly amazing experience.

Thanks New Way! We will be sure to come back one day; my boyfriend and I are already planning our next diving trip. :)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Koh Tao is such an amazing place to discover the wealth of ocean!
I did my open water course and then fun dives at New Way Diving. I really don't regret my choice!
I thought spend 3 or 4 days and pass on, but I stayed more than I was thinking! I really enjoyed New Way Diving! The staff make this experience so wonderfull! They are so professional, very good mentor, patient with every student.
Thanks a lot to David! It was such a good pleasure to discover scuba diving with an excellent instructor, and Chris as well! I don't forget Anne, Marina and also Tarik! Great team!
Perfect mix between fun, serious and passionate people! The club is well organized, good equipment, very friendly and it's a human-size center!
So don't hesitate, let do it!

Charlotte