“Great Diving!”
Review of Impian Divers

Impian Divers
Ranked #34 of 105 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Impian Divers is a Dutch PADI 5* dive center founded 7 years ago on Koh Tao by manager/owner having himself more than 20 years of dive experience on Koh Tao; South East Asia; Egypt and Europe. We offer you all PADI diving courses and fun diving in a very relaxed manner and in small groups of maximum 4 persons per dive professional.Our experienced dive instructors adept themselves to you as diver, and not the other way around. Therefore, more personal attention during all diving activities; longer dive times and very well maintained equipment.We have our own boat, which we not sharing with other dive centers to ensure the personal atmosphere of our dive center.Free accommodation arrangements during diving courses in clean, comfortable room(s)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We spent the day fun diving with the guys from Impian Divers and we totally recommend it to whoever is in Koh Tao and wants to explore the underwater world! Friendly staff, nice boat and professional dives. They make sure to organize little groups for every dove master so as to make everyone feel followed and secure. We even had a not asked discount at the end of the day because our group was too big (5divers)! What honesty and work ethic! Everybody speaks fluent English and their prices are exactly the same as all the diving centers in Koh Tao! If you are in Koh Tao and want to go diving, Impian is a sure bet!

All reviews
"advanced open water"
in 3 reviews
"dive experience"

Reviewed August 7, 2014

In the extensive diving-business on Koh Tao it must be difficult to find your special niche or competative edge. We believe that Impian Divers and it's manager Robert have found it. It's professionally run, a lot of the gear is brand new, they have their own boat and only dive in small groups. The multi-national and -lingual group of instructors and dive-guides create a family atmosphere while maintaining high safety standards. Our diveguide Sophie was enthousiastic an great with our kids. There's gear available ia all sizes, so it's also a perfect place for families with kids to do a bubblemaker initiation or follow a junior PADI course. We highly recommend Impian Divers and are bound to return to Koh Tao to dive with them.

1  Thank Hansje
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I just completed the Open Water Scuba certification from Impian Divers and am extremely happy with this company. From the moment we walked in the door we felt welcomed. The owner Robert sat us down and provided a high level overview of what to expect, scuba rules etc. We then were able to meet our main instructor for the next 3 days, 'Dave.'

The schedule was set up with morning's covering class work, and afternoon's out on the water. Dave was an amazing teacher, making classes engaging and fun, so it was actually enjoyable being in class while on vacation. Also, his scuba knowledge was extremely impressive. He knows everything!

During our water exercises, I was quite nervous, and had some ear problems, making all my descents slow going. Dave never wavered from my side, walking me through every step and never losing his patience. I was frustrated with the amount of time it took my ears to equalize at lower depths, but he just swam around waiting, no pressure at all. I can't explain how much better this made the whole experience. When it comes to being an amazing teacher, there are some skills you're just born with, and Dave has every single one of them!

I really can't recommend Impian enough. They are a top-notch diving school, and I wouldn't pick anywhere else in the world to become certified.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Amazing experience. If you're coming all the way to Thailand (it's a 21 hour flight from Chicago) then I'd say come to Ko Tao and dive here with these guys. The amount of coral and wildlife is unreal. This was my first time using scuba gear and I was nervous. They made the experience easy. Admittedly I have nothing to compare it to but here's why I loved getting open water certified with these guys and I'd recommend it to anyone.

1.) The price is great.
2.) You get individualized attention. Only 4 people max per class
3.) Very knowledgeable and professional instructors move at your pace. The owner sat my girlfriend and I down before our first class and explained how this was our class. We come up when we want (if the pressure gets too intense), we could have quit the course at any time and we don't have to do anything we are uncomfortable with. Our instructor was amazing. Funny, engaging and answered all our questions. I am so happy we went with these guys.
4.) Atmosphere. It's a small shop with a great feel. I met and talked to almost all the instructors. They were cool people.
5.) The view while you learn is amazing and plenty of dive time. If you're going to learn how to dive why not do it in an amazing place with sea life that blows your mind. Instead of doing exercises in a pool we went to the beach with the gear, walked a few feet in and learned there. Same as a pool but much better view. We spent a ton of time diving which makes doing it here even better.

I read a review about the manager stealing someone's money. I can't say whether that did or did not happen but I will say that I left a $400 gopro and a $1500 camera with him (my girlfriend also left her bag) and everything came back as we left it.

Our instructor was David and if he's there when you go ask for him. We enjoyed it so much we are paying to go on another dive with them before we leave.

Oh and they have some amazing locally made cookies on board along with tea, water and coffee!

Jason

1  Thank Greymatter54
See more reviews
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had a mixed view of this diving place, it was ok but I had two very bad experiences:

1) They teach you the basics including what to do if your mouth piece comes off. Unfortunately this happened to me (a fault of my own) and as a beginner I panicked and forgot the proper procedure (and when your deep in the water you do tend to forget these things when your mouth piece comes off!) I started to drown. The instructor had been preoccupied with his other two customers the whole day (who were on the 3 day course as opposed to me who was on the 1 day course) and so did not see me. Had it not been for the trainee instructor I would probably have drowned! Worst, when he realised what had happened, there was no acknowledgement or apology (even afterwards) just continued as if there was and had been no issue!

2) I left my wallet with the manager, who said he'd lock his draw. He also made a joke about making sure I check how much I had in there. I wish I had, and counted it in front of him! Upon return, I realised that 200 Baht had been taken! Confronting the manager, he naturally denied taking anything, stating that it would be silly to take a small amount and risk a negative review. In my view thats not a valid defence, in fact its a perfect alibi to take a small amount! So yeah, nice try mr manager.

I side with the average reviewer on here who said that the atmosphere was more of "polite disinterest", unless your Dutch. There were times where I was more or less just left to be on my own and not much effort was made by the instructors to be inclusive. Don't get me wrong, the instructors were good and relaxed, but I felt they were too relaxed. Coupled with their Dutch favouritism (yes, the other two I was diving with were Dutch!) and its quite easy to see how they could miss someone nearly drowning in front of them!

Funnily enough, its not the drowning that makes me give a bad review (after all maybe I was just unlucky), its the manager stealing from my wallet that really let this day down for me. I'm very good with keeping track of my money (almost to the point of being OCD about it) and budgeted precisely to be able to pay for the course and have 200 Baht leftover for a small bite at the end. Well no food for me but I do hope people learn to count their money in front of the manager before leaving it with him!

Or better yet, avoid this place completely. There are loads of diving places on Sairee beach which offer the same services as this place, minus the two bad experiences that I had!

3  Thank vin048
Impian, Owner at Impian Divers, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

dear Mr Vinoth,

I remember you. Some pretty heavy feedback you are writing down there but its all freedom on the internet and you can write whatever you please.

However, just a few remarks about your review as it is not 100% complete. Since you want to inform fellow travelers.

About your dive. You mentioning only 1 dive. According to our records you made 2 dives.....First a try dive with 2 other trainees and on the same afternoon /same boat trip an additional pleasure dive.

You made that decision yourself as the 2nd dive is an optional dive. So it could not have been so bad after all. People who don't like it, or feel uncomfortable with the dive professionals never make 2 dives.

Your 2nd dive with was with our British dive master: Sophie and the other trainees were not diving a 2nd time.

Another important information you left behind in your review. About the 'manager' stealing 200 Thai baht from you, leaving you no food left to eat.

That person you talk about is the owner of the dive center. Why would I remove 2 notes of 100 Thai baht from your wallet from which you said yourself there were only 4 notes of 100 Thai baht it in? And nothing more.

Why you mention you could not eat anymore? But what you should have said instead is that you could not pay the balance of the dives with the initial amount you brought with you. By the way, you left Koh Tao without paying that balance ..

Your review gives a bad image to the credibility of TripAdvisor, my dive center, the dive professionals involved but mainly to yourself. We reported this as slander.