“Amazing place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas
Ranked #10 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing place”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed 5 days in the Villa of the Full Moon on our honeymoon. This was the best view of our trip. We found it hard to go out at night because we wanted to watch the sunset from our pool or deck. The Villa is enormous, clean and comfortable. It had everything that we needed and more.
The drive to the Villa is steep. We rented a moped in town, and it was quite an experience driving up and down that road. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I hope we have the chance to go back.

Room Tip: The Villa of the Full Moon was killer- though I'm sure the other rooms are lovely as well. They...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thanks for your review!
We are happy to know that you had such a great honeymoon at Casas del Sol.
We look forward to welcome you back in the future.
Best wishes!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Paris, France
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week in the Villa of Green Palms as a family of four (with two teenagers) and had a superb holiday - exactly what we needed to destress. Christina gave very detailed and accurate information by email before we got here and so there were no surprises. Having said that I was surprised at how steep and difficult the roads were around the island in general and Casas del Sol in particular, but that is also the price to pay for having accommodation set up in the hills with a fabulous view away from the bustle of Sairee.

Natalia, the manager, made contact with us by email before our arrival and arranged for Bao to meet us at the ferry terminal in Mae Head. As our villa was being cleaned, we left our bags and went into Sairee for breakfast before returning to unpack our things. The Villa is well-appointed without being luxurious but there is everything one needs, except perhaps a hairdrier. The sheets and towels are plentiful and of good quality. Some bath mats would be a welcome addition as the floors get quite slippery when one's feet are wet. There are little touches, like a coffee machine and a blender which is great for making smoothies with the abundance of fresh fruit one can get here. We made breakfast every day, including scrambled eggs and bacon. My only criticism is that there is no hot water in the kitchen (or bathroom) sinks, so to wash up properly one has to boil the kettle which is not a hardship.

Natalia was extremely helpful and very reactive. When the airconditioner in our room was playing up, she got it fixed straight away. And when we requested additional towels it was no problem. We ended up staying an extra night as we changed our return trip to avoid going back to Bangkok by train from Chumphon. As the villa was not booked we were able to stay on and even check out late, which was highly appreciated.

Following on from other people's comments, there are insects and plenty of geckos but if one makes sure that food is put away, the insects are not a problem, particularly the ants. The geckos do a great job of keeping other insects out, so they are good to have around. I was surprised that the mosquito population was quite low at the Villa. I am very allergic so I am always wary, but being high up on the hill, the mozzies are less if an issue here except at dusk.

Another comment from other people about stairs: all over this island, there are lots of steep stairs to get anywhere. This is not a place for people who have mobility issues or for families with small kids. The Villa is accessible by some fairly steep stairs with no hand rail and around the pool there is nothing preventing a small child from falling. However, the website and Christina's information is very clear about these aspects.

Like a previous traveller, we chose not to rent bikes or quad bikes as we did not feel comfortable with the steep roads. We walked down to Sairee village every day ( a challenging and steep walk in parts!) and then took taxis back up. Bao and Pon are two drivers who are recommended by the Villa and are always available to take one anywhere. We would just call them to fetch us. The price up or down is 400 baht which is pricey but still less than hiring 2 quad bikes a day, so it worked out well. Agreed, you cannot just nip up and down but if you organise your day accordingly it is not a constraint.

Overall we had a wonderful weeks stay and would definitely come back here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review.
We are very happy to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay at Casas del Sol.
I am happy that you appreciated all the detailed information provided to you prior to your stay.
As you detailed, we do always inform guests that the roads on Koh Tao can be challenging. Although the main roads and the road to our villa are some of the best roads on Koh Tao, some guests do find the roads more easy than others.
As a little aside - we do provide bath mats in the bathroom areas - and as you mentioned we were happy to provide you with more as needed.
Best wishes.
Preston
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the villa of the rising sun for a week at the end of our 3 week honeymoon in Thailand.

The organisation and communication of the Christina the owner and Natalia the villa manager is excellent. From the moment we booked I had no concerns about this place. They are very clear about everything and I found them very helpful.

We actually turned up to koh Tao 5 hours earlier than the agreed pick up time from the ferry port but I gave Natalia a call and she sent the taxi driver straight away and they took us to the villa early.

The villa itself is amazing. The views are incredible and the design of the place is gorgeous. The attention to detail is impeccable. The finish of everything is very luxurious and you can tell everything has been put there with the kind of thought you would put into your own house.

I have noticed some people have mentioned the trip to the property as being steep and a bit isolated and yes this is true. I do believe though that they are very honest about this and it is clear from the outset that this is the case. We knew that when we booked so why anyone else wouldnt is strange? You can't have the amazing views like that on a relatively undeveloped island without expecting a bit of a trek up to the property! You get amazing views with height. It is an adventure getting there and we used to have fun on our scooter doing the drive. If you take your time and drive carefully there is no issue at all. If you are not comfortable with scooters then you can rent a quad which probably would be a bit more sturdy.

I have to be honest I don't think it is ideal for young children like toddlers. Teenagers yes, a young baby that doesn't walk yes but not inquisitive toddlers etc. This is because of the floating stairs in the villa and around the pool area. The walls are pretty low. The stairs that lead up to the villa are also pretty steep which a young child might struggle with.

There are a few lizards and one or two creepy crawlies floating about but they are small and harmless. It is a green tropical island though so what would one expect?! The whole of Thailand is full of these things and we saw nothing at the villa that we saw no where else.

We have recently become very into private villas and cabins rental our holidays because we like to be left alone. I feel a bit mithered in 5 star hotels. On this trip we stayed in hotels everywhere else and then this private villa. I like having the luxury and facilities at a hotel but I want to be left alone and hate maids waking me up and turn down services etc etc and I find places like this much better than a hotel for that reason. At the casas del sol you get the great facilities of a 5 star hotel but without the hassle. This place is better than a hotel as the view and the size are bigger and better than any 5 star hotel room. If we had any problems we just e mailed Natalia and she fixed everything within the hour I.e one day we changed the day the cleaners came, another day the cable was playing up after a storm and it was sorted straight away. The villa was cleaned twice in the week and we found this to be sufficient. We ate out every day at the amazing choice of resteraunts that koh Tao has. They are all very cheap and there is plenty of choice.

I would also highly recommend doing scuba diving on the island. We loved it.

We would like to thank Christina and Natalia for the great service we got on this holiday and to anyone who is thinking of coming here do not hesitate! Get it booked :-) you will not regret it.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed response. We always enjoy to hear the feedback from our guests.

I am happy to know that you appreciated all the information that we provided to you prior to your reservation and stay at Casas del Sol. We do provide as much information as possible with complete honesty as we only wish for well-informed happy guests, such as yourselves.
Although we are not far from the main town, I know that it can be a little adventure to drive up the road to our villas. However if you embrace the adventure like yourselves then your time on Koh Tao will be a very enjoyable one. Afterall, Koh Tao is an adventurous destination!
Yes, I agree with you that we don't recommend the villas for young children which is written on our website.

We were very happy to accommodate you we look forward to welcoming you back in the future! ;-)
Point Reyes Station, California
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The exceptional views, contemporary design, spaciousness, quiet/peacefulness and wonderful jungle noises are extraordinary (Villa of the Full Moon) features of this property. The bed, seating is very comfortable and the decor interesting/unique. I also greatly appreciated Christina, who was absolutely wonderful in all communications from initial query/planning right up to my arrival. Thank you Christina! Bao also turned into a combo taxi driver/guide, with great suggestions and accessibilty. Thank you Bao!
Several considerations with the property:
Location/ease of access - Christina clearly noted the location was up a steep hill outside of town and this cannot be underestimated when considering a stay. It is an extremely steep, narrow road. I decided against renting a scooter/ATV and relied upon taxis. Given the location and time/taxi rates it is not an easy place to come & go from during the day/night. Air Con: The bedrooms have fans & air conditioners however the spacious living/dining area has only one ceiling fan. During my stay it was extremely hot/humid with little to no breeze which meant the main area was too warm/stuffy most of the time. I suggest adding strong, quiet floor fan(s) for the main area and also suggest that the resident manager/ housekeeper cool the villa prior to the arrival of guests. I arrived to an uncomfortably hot, still Villa. Housekeeping: I stayed three nights and do not know how often the Villas have housekeeping service for more extended stays. I think frequent service is necessary. Bugs accumulated on interior surfaces and on the pool (with the auto cleaner set for later in the pm, leaving the pool convered with a layer of bugs when returning late afternoon. The cleaning timer was changed upon request). The patio cushions were soaked (apparently from a recent rain) when I arrived and took 3 days to dry out enough to sit on. This and several other cleaning details gave the impression that the villa was not monitored with attention to detail between guests.
Unfortunately I found the on-site manager a bit put out and as such, off putting when I needed some additional orientation (eg., use of safe, hot water). The initial orientation was fast with a reference to all necessary information being in the binder. Given Christina's graciousness this was the only dip in quality of service.

Room Tip: I did not view any other room. New construction is happening right next to Villa of the Full Moon, h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed response of your experience of your stay.
I appreciate that everyone has their own personal experience of their stay with us. We do go out of our way to explain the details of our accommodation prior to any guest making a reservation with us. I believe that all our guests arrive well informed and therefore happy as they know exactly what to expect.

As you can see in my responses on TripAdvisor, we emphasis that Koh Tao is an adventurous destination for those who are willing to embrace it. I understand that Koh Tao is not a destination for everyone.

We always like to ensure that our swimming pools are spotless and therefore we have installed an automatic filter unit that cleans the pool for several hours in the morning and for several hours in the evening. Furthermore we have staff cleaning the pools every twice a week and to date we have found that this system works to ensure that the pools are 100% clean.

In regards to housekeeping - for stays longer than 3 days we do incorporate complimentary housekeeping services. We are self-catered villas which means that we don't offer the daily services that a resort might provide such as daily housekeeping, concierge services and room service. However we emphasis this information prior to any guest making a reservation with us. Furthermore guests book with us in order to have their privacy and not be bothered by resort staff.

I know without doubt that my on-site manager is fantastic and service-orientated with attention to detail, and as everyone can read all the reviews about her have always been glowing.

Best wishes for your future travels.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at Villa of the Full Moon at the end of February. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that 5 days wasn't nearly enough time there. From the time we contacted the management at Casas del Sol, they were amazing. Cristina emailed us with all the information we needed about the villa and Koh Tao. Natalia greeted us at the villa and was available to answer all our inane questions. And best of all, Bao. He is the taxi driver who picked up from the pier and drove us around most of the time we were there. He was helpful, friendly, and all around awesome.
The villa itself is exactly how it looks in the pictures, but no pictures can really convey the beauty of the views. We spent most of our nights out on the deck, enjoying the night skies and the sounds of the animals. I can't think of a better place to stay on Koh Tao.
Yes, it is a little isolated, but it really is easy to get to the village. The taxis are a little expensive for Thailand but when sitting in the back of the trucks in the open air and watching the scenery go by, you realize that its worth every baht.
I can't wait to get back to Koh Tao, and when I do I'll be staying here again.

Thank you Cristina, Natalia and Bao!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Casasdelsol, Manager at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thanks for your review!
We love to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Casas del Sol. Yes, adventure is what Koh Tao is about! However we like to know that we successfully provide a little corner of comfort and luxury for our guests.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed in January at Casa del Sol Villas( Villa of the Full Moon). It was amazing. I did a lot of research to try and find the best place to stay in Koh Tao. What I really liked is how well described the place was by the owner Christina, and lovely manager Patricia. They answered my many questions thoroughly and with detail. I felt really looked after even before I arrived. Koh Tao is a unique island, that is still developing. The view was over another small island where we went snorkelling. I recommend snorkelling there on the weekdays, as it gets very crowded on the weekends. Christina and her husband are expert freedivers, and own several dive shops that teach this sport. They are committed to Koh Tao, their beloved sport, and the gorgeous villas they created. We were given very good service throughout our stay. The Villa itself was immaculate. Everything about it is really tasteful. It deserves the acknowledgement in architectual excellence I have read in reviews. I've stayed at Koh Samui in a very expensive and well reviewed villa a few years ago, and Casa Del Sol Villas are even more beautiful. They are also 1/3 the price! This place is awesome value for money. In order to get The Best views on the island, theres a steep road up the hill, that can be walked down, but probably challenging to walk up. Many people rent quad bikes, and they have 2 brand new ones available. We took a driver named Bao. He was so helpful and efficient. Koh Tao has many good restaurants and coffee shops. I was suprised at the choices, and quality of the food. I'll be back to this wonderful place.

Room Tip: My big tip to choosing a good room- ANY Villa is the best villa!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review.
We are always very happy to hear from another happy guest, and to hear that all the information we provide prior to your reservation is informative and helpful.
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a few days on our honeymoon. We stayed in the Villa of the Full Moon and we were perched on the mountainside overlooking Nangyuan Island. We were beyond impressed with our accommodations (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, private pool) and even more impressed with the lovely Christina who went above and beyond to take care of us. Not only did she give us a discount for un-planned construction next door, she also came over with a bottle of wine when our toilet only provided a minor inconvenience. We would love to come back someday with friends or maybe a family of our own as the villa was spacious enough to house 4 people comfortably. This was a great experience and I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Koh Tao. You are secluded enough to make a romantic unforgettable experience but close enough to all the action in Samui.

Room Tip: The Villa of the Full Moon has amazing views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks for your review!
We love to hear that your experience at our villa and our service went above and beyond your expectations. I know that you had a great time for your honeymoon and we hope to welcome you back here in the future!
Best wishes!