Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas
$47
$84
$58
Agoda.com
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$52
$40
$73
$66
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$41
$40
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
$160
$149
Travelocity
Montalay Beach Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$33
$31
Agoda.com
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$39
$24
Agoda.com
Woodlawn Villas(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$68
$31
All reviewsmillion starsfull moonhuge loungepre arrivalsteep roadabsolutely fell in lovecoffee machinenangyuan islandlovely managermodern designprivate poolcomplimentary taxiliving roomprivate chefwatching the sunsetperfect holidaylovely villa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed in the the Villa of the Full Moon for just three nights at the end of June 2011 after seeing pictures of Casas Del Sol on the Conde Nast Traveller website.
During the entire booking process the owner Christina was extremely helpful, prompt and honest. I had lots of questions about access, getting to the villa from Koh Samui, location etc and she provided excellent information.
On arrival, we were picked up from the ferry port by a driver and he took us up to the Villa where we were met by Chris so that she could show us around, give us the internet dongle (as requested in advance), the key and take us down to the Quad bike hire. The journey up to the villa by car is a little hairy - a pretty steep track up through the jungle - and I would be lying if I said I wasnt a little daunted at the prospect of making the journey up and down each day by quad! However, Chris reassured us that by quad, it was a lot easier and she was right.
The villa itself was just stunning - the view is simply breathtaking, the facilities are high standard and the contemporary design and decor was just to our taste. The bed was probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in and I keep meaning to email Chris to ask her where she bought the pillows from! The villa would've been perfect for another couple and with just two of us, we had more than enough room!
Staying in a self catering villa gave us the opportunity to explore the island, find hidden coves and beaches and really experience a less commercial and built up island compared to Koh Samui. A trip over to Koh Nang Yuan (the island you can see from the terrace) was amazing and we snorkelled with reef sharks so I would definitely recommend this - we just picked up a long tail from Sairee and the journey took 15 minutes.
I would struggle to find anything negative to say about our experience with Casas del Sol - it was just perfect for us and exactly what we were looking for. However, if you want an easy life and expect a hotel service, you will not get this. You have to be willing to be a bit adventurous and relish the opportunity to hire a quad bike and explore the beautiful island - I wouldnt recommend relying on taxis to take you up and down each day!
A beautifully designed, contemporary hideaway - highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Thanks so much for your review! Great that you enjoyed staying with us so much! I really appreciate that you point out that we are self-catered luxury villas, so guests should not expect resort services, although the villas do come well-supplied with essential items and are decked out in style and comfort. What we offer is a slice of luxury on an adventurous little tropical island that is Koh Tao.
Also just to add for future guests, that although we are self-catered villas, we have Western staff who live on site that are available at any time in case of emergencies or problems. Upon arrival guests are shown an information folder that contain these contact numbers and are available 24 hours a day.
It sounds like you had fun on Koh Tao and really enjoyed staying at our Villa of the Full Moon. It is definitely a more adventurous island than some of the other more developed and commercial islands like Koh Samui. But that is the fun and charm of Koh Tao!
I hope to see you back again in the future!
Chris

Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stayed at one of the villas for a week recently and we had a fantastic experience. The villa is super comfortable, the day-beds in the lounge area are huge! From the living area you see great views of the island and the sea, as well as from the terrace where we spent many hours chilling in the sun and the swimming pool. Wish I was back there now!

We really liked that the villa was private but close to the little town down the road called Sairee. It also meant that the villa were really peaceful and quiet. The road up the hill to the villa is fine, we managed perfectly on an automatic moped, but I can see that some people might want to rent a quad-bike if they haven't ridden a motorbike before. But access was fine. Plus you need to have a bike or quad to drive around the small island anyway if you want to get out and explore.

We spent some nights in and cooked ourselves or got take-out food from Sairee, and the other nights we went down to the town for a meal and a few drinks. For us, the experience was perfect, it was exactly what we were looking for and we'd go back in a flash!

Highly recommend for people wanting to rent a super cool private villa!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Thanks for your review!
Great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I know you had some fun adventures around the island. I look forward to having you both back here - it was lovely to meet you!
Best wishes!
Chris.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

It has been one week since our return from Casas Del Sol, I'm not normally a review writer... I love reading other peoples reviews, but this place I had to write about!

What an amazing huge villa... an infinity pool ... drinking beers on your own private terrace... absolutely stunning views of Sarrie beach and getting away from all the normal Thailand backpackers.

Everything you require is available in the villa, fully equipped kitchen, 2 massive bedrooms, day beds galore and the villas are designed with serious style!

Chis our host was a delight and was very helpful in organizing our stay from advising us on the best way to get there from BKK, to the very helpful booklet which gives you a good brief about the villa and island (places to go, great restaurants etc).

I must stress this is not a resort - it's your own villa in a jungle setting on a hill side. The type of place to really sit back and relax!
Koh Tao can be a tricky island to get around depending on the season you visit and your mode of transport. The villa was really easy to find once you have done the trip and not to bad of a walk once in a while or a 5 min scooter ride away from Sarrie (the cool little town that if you need some action you can get it)!

We defiantly will go back to this heavenly place.

1  Thank binitHakim
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2011

It's great to get such lovely and honest feedback! I'm glad you really enjoyed your stay at one of our villas.
As you point out in your review, Koh Tao in general can be a more difficult island to get around. Transport is with bikes, quad-bikes or taxi-cars, and the roads vary in conditions from paved roads to dirt roads across the whole island. However, we do have a paved road leading all the way to our villas, and as you say once you have driven it once on a bike/quad, it is very easy to use and to locate our villas with, plus it is very close to the main town of Sairee.
At the end of the day, Koh Tao is a more adventurous island than other more overdeveloped islands in Thailand - but this is what makes Koh Tao more fun and charming!
I hope you both decide to come back to Koh Tao in the future. Take care and it was lovely to meet you both!
Chris.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed at Casas Del Sol for just 3 nights at the beguining of June. I knew it was up in the hills north of Saree Beach but we where not prepared for the problems this caused. We where taken to the villa by a complimentary taxi then back to saree to hire 2 quad bikes for 2 days by the taxi driver. The quads cost £50 a day, very expensive, but as we had our 14 year old son with us there was no other option, we did use 2 taxis on our last night when the quads had been returned and these cost thb 500 for a 4 minuite ride. This was because of how steep the roads up to the villa are and very poorly maintained so nobody wants to take there vehicles up there. We saw the person who met us at the pier and gave us the keys and info on the villa but didnt see them afterwards , even when we left, so you feel a bit isolated. The Villa itself is very nice but to remote and not maintained outside as it is just jungle really. It does need some little things improving to make it more comfotable. There where sun beds but no cusions on them, No mosquito coils ect which is necessary, there are lots of insects so you cant be squimish. There was a smell of sewerige rom the double room bathroom and no where enough towels for both showering and using the pool, and the pool towels not good quality. These are only minor things and other than that the villa and the viewsare great just far to remote and expensive to get to.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank julie G
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

I am very sorry that you have mixed feelings about our villas at Casas del Sol. We have had many people stay with us and have had fantastic feedback to date. I would like to address some of the problems that you feel that you had with us.

On our website and in email correspondence I emphasise to prospective guests exactly what it is we offer. Casas del Sol are self-catered villas and we are not a resort, so we don't have a reception nor offer concierge services. We do provide you with contact details for problems or emergencies of a Western staff member who lives on-site, as well as a Guest Information folder with information about the Villa and Koh Tao.

Also emphasised on our website and in emails is our location on a hillside as well as the nature and cost of transport around the island. Motorbikes rent for about 150 to 200 baht per day, and quads rent from 600 to 1500 baht per day, (but there definitely is no quad on Koh Tao that rents for 50 British pounds per day). Our villas are located in an area that is tranquil and private but only 5 minutes bike-ride from the main town. Privacy within a convenient location is what most of our guests are looking for. (Particularly since staying in Sairee can be very noisy, particularly at night).

We have daily staff maintaining the grounds of our villas, such as cleaning our swimming pools, gardening and housekeeping when required. The gardens on our property are beautifully maintained, but they are of jungle fauna as this is the natural environment of tropical Thailand.

All villas are equipped with mosquito spray and coils, as well as other household products required for your stay. They are stored in the cabinets and drawers of our kitchen.

Again, I am sorry that you had mixed feelings about our villas. Perhaps a self-catered boutique villa was not an appropriate choice of stay on Koh Tao for you and that a Resort with Resort Services might have been a better option for your family. However, I feel that we make it very clear on our website and email correspondence what we do offer. All our guests to date have been searching for luxury boutique villas that are self-catered and private, which is exactly what we offer and advertise.

Furthermore, a general comment about our little island - Koh Tao is an adventurous destination, and is not as over-developed as other islands such as Koh Samui and Phuket, but this is what gives Koh Tao its charm and natural beauty, and this is why guests keep returning. We offer luxury boutique villas for those who want to have creature comforts and yet also enjoy the adventurous and natural tropical island that is Koh Tao.

I hope you enjoy your future holidays.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I've been back from Thailand for a couple of weeks now and have put off writing my review for Casas del Sol as I wanted to reflect and make sure that I did it the justice that it deserves. I'm still not sure that I will, but I'll try! Apologies if I babble a little!

We had just over two weeks booked in Thailand and were travelling independently. When we found Casas del Sol (through Twitter of all places) we wanted to stay there immediately! So our whole holiday was planned around staying there for 5 nights at the end of our break.

Before booking I had quite a few questions, Christina at the villas was amazingly helpful - providing honest, informative and comprehensive responses - including where to eat, the best ferry company to use to get to Koh Tao, weather reports - pretty much everything and sometimes without me even asking. Her efforts to make our stay enjoyable were over and above!

On arrival at the pier, we were met by a taxi to take us up to the villa. Christina met us at the villa and went through everything that we needed to know for our stay there. She left us her telephone number in case we needed anything and also a number for a taxi company if we needed one. We stayed at Villa of the Full Moon, we'd seen the pictures on the website, but you are blown away when you walk into it! The most stunning place with the most stunning view that you will never got bored of! This was our time to relax and we certainly did that!

You have everything you need for day to day living, it's like a home from home - a really nice one!. We went into Sairee to get provisions so we could make our own breakfast, coffee, etc. There's a kettle, large fridge with freezer, toaster and hob. Glasses, plates, cutlery etc. Most of the restaurants in Sairee also do take away service (although we couldn't find any that delivered to the villa), so you can pop into town and pick up food if you want to eat in the villa.

The villa itself is about 5 minutes from Sairee (we hired a quad) - unless you enjoy walking in hot and humid conditions, then you will need to hire a quad or bike - but the villa is easy to find after you've done the journey once. There's towels, including beach towels for you to take out of the villa. No house-keeping - which I find particularly annoying when you stay in hotels! So for us that was great.

If you want to explore some of the beaches, you can hire a water taxi from Sairee beach - we went over to Nangyuan Island, but unfortunately we were too busy lazing around in the villa to explore much more! So I can't tell you a great deal about where to go (Christina will be able to tell you though!).

I really can't think of many negatives about Casas del Sol - I'd go back in a heart beat, it was all I could do to stop myself from crying when I left! The only things that might not be suitable for others are:
- outside balcony - it's quite low with quite a drop into the trees below, so not suitable for toddlers (or drunken adults!)
- convenience - if you like the convenience of hotels for restaurants / bars / service, then you might not like this. I hate fuss, don't want to be tied down to what time I've got to get down for breakfast, don't want housekeeping knocking on the door twice a day and have no interest sitting in a stuffy restaurant with "Pete and Amanda from Hull" who say that we should meet up when we're back in the UK!!! Obviously those are fictional characters, so if your name is Pete, with a partner called Amanda and you're from Hull - please don't be offended!

What more to say? Nothing, just GO, it's AMAZING! Kick back, relax and pretend you've won the lottery and this is where you live! I'm sure I've forgotten something, but you get the drift!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSNotts
Casasdelsol, Owner at Casas del Sol - Luxury Boutique Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Thanks for your great and honest review!!
It's fantastic to know that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you truly appreciated the villas we have created. I guess that you found exactly what you were looking for by staying with us, i.e. self-catered luxury villas. As you point out in your review, some people want resorts or hotels, and others look for the luxury and privacy of a self-contained boutique villa with lovely views and private swimming pools! ;-)
I'm glad that you appreciated all my advice, I always ensure that our guests have as much information about our villas and Koh Tao as possible so they know exactly what to expect, and as you know, I am always happy to answer any travel questions about Thailand too! ;-)
I hope you both return, it was a pleasure to meet you both!
Christina.