“Great Little Hotel”

Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Sydney, Australia
“Great Little Hotel”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We got off the ferry from Ko Phagnan and were met by the mini-bus for the hotel with no problems. Its a bit north of the 'centre' of Koh Tao but nice and quiet and only a few minutes walk to bars, restaurants etc. Also 2 mins down to grab a long boat over to Nangyuan Island which is spectacular.

The villa's are neat and tidy and ours had a large shower area and A/C which was pretty new and could be well controlled (as opposed to some other resorts that blasted out cold or nothing at all).

Would definitely recommend, good value for money.

I was traveling in a group of 4 guys and did not go diving with the hotel...as most others seem to do.

Room Tip: We stayed in the low-rise villa's to the left of the swimming pool, looked nicer than the apartm...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We booked a fan room which was ok but I would recommend getting an air-con room as the fan was quite small. Some of the staff weren't very good at speaking/understanding English which made it difficult to ask them about things to do etc. While we were there, the pool was unusable as it was bright green in colour. Other than that everything was fine and the location is great.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Melaniehillis
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

The main issue I had with this hotel was the smell of the bedroom which was disgusting! Also the fan was not powerful enough so the room was actually hotter than outside and then if you left the door open insects and flies came in! The shower had no hot water and we booked a double fan room but received a twin room. Apart from those issues, the resort is clean and the food from the restaurant is very good including breakfast. The pool area was nice but the water looked slightly murky perhaps due to the diving training taking place. This hotel is average and I think better value for money could be found.

• Stayed September 2012
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Rooms range from plush with ac (1500thb), basic ac (900thb) and basic fan (700thb) all are good size, cleaned daily so spotless, clean towels daily and comfortable. Resort is well maintained, pretty and nice pool.
They will do deals on price for longer stays think around 40% off for over 20 days
Good location just up the hill so close to everything you need
I didnt dive with them but judging by the pool work I saw the instructors are great

The staff on reception are ok but not helpful with things unless its making them money. The restaurant staff are plain rude, constantly playing games on phone when people are standing waiting to pay or order, shout at each other and are just generally unpleasant. Foods not great either.

Stay here but eat elsewhere

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TallulahPickles
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We arrived in Koh Tao from Bangkok with no where booked and took our chances. 2 of us went to a hostel and 2 of us paid a little bit more and stayed here as it had a pool. The room rate was very reasonable too!

We had a twin room which was spacious and clean, it had a tv and fan which was quite powerful and did a good job of cooling us down. The pool area was clean and although it was used to train divers, wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. Staff were friendly enough.

Great location too, just a 5 minute walk to the beach. Koh Tao was my first Thai island and is my favourite. It is so much more than just a diving island! Amazing scuba diving to be done of you can't afford the other diving on offer.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for the best room available for the price. Fan rooms are just as good as rooms with Ai...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed in july 2011.
We emailed them short notice and were pleasantly surprised that they picked us up from the boat seeing as the taxi drivers were trying to charge us a fortune for the journey. Only our first week in Thailand (start of 3 months) went there from Bangkok. The island is still my favourite memory of Thailand. The snorkelling was absolutely amazing (even more so when you go to places like phi phi and you are surrounded by jellyfish, millions of people and no fish cause they feed them bread which kills them!)
Love how they ban plastic bottles and litter.
We stayed in a fan room as it was cheaper and it was actually bearable... Wouldn't of managed that anywhere else, we got air con every time from then!
Staff were lovely. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment. It was great having a nice pool for that price as well tho prices were probably cheaper cause of time of the year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'm writing this review more to promote asia divers itself, rather than the hote resort. I stayed for two weeks at the resort which was pretty average accomodation unless you upgraded rooms which was, in my eyes, worth it as the standard was a lot better. The pool area is nice and it's good to have the restaurant on site which does good food and great shakes!

But what made my stay in Koh Tao brilliant was just how much fun I had learning to scuba dive with asia divers. Definitely something I will never forget! My friends and I originally were just going to do a day of diving but very quickly ended up deciding that it would be great to do our PADI open water. Everyone working there is so kind and friendly that, although I thought I would be nervous about diving, I really wasn't at all. We had Rick as our instructor who made everything fun and relaxed from start to finish. I definitely recommend him as an instructor, especially if you're new to diving! I loved it so much that I ended up staying and doing my advanced scuba diving which was incredible. I was able to do a shipwreck dive and a night dive!!

We also decided to get our 3rd and 4th dives filmed by one of the company's viedographers which I also recommend because it's something you can keep forever and is a great memory to have. If you're interested you can get them to show you some examples whilst out there - they're really good!

Personally, I think the staff at the resort could take a few lessons from the asia diving instructors in hospitality and customer service! They aren't particularly friendly at the desk, especially if you have an issue. But I still really enjoyed my time here - go for the diving!

Room Tip: I was originally put into a tiny claustraphobic room - this was a basic room I think. It didn't...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends