“Fantastic stay, very nice and helpful staff”
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just spent a week in this fabulous place. On arrival we received a nice an warm welcome. All staff were all smile and ready to help. The pool is amazing and gives nice views over the sea and the sunset, no wonder why people who do not stay here come and enjoy a drink and the sunset too.
Our room was great, clean, and so was the bathroom, the bed was big and comfy.
You can you can have breakfast, lunch and diner by the pool. Food is cheap and tasty, same for the cocktails/ drinks.
The hotel is located outside Sairee but is only a few minutes walk, no problem there. It s even better actually, you can enjoy nightlife in the village and have a quiet night sleep then.
We experienced a short power cut but we knew this might happen, so no big surprise really.
If you need anything, reception can help you, be it your next trip by boat, snorkeling, scuba diving (which we did ), rent a motorbike or get a taxi, you name it...
Accross the street, you can find a shop where food and drinks are available, they can also take care of your laundry.
Overall, amazing experience. Believe me, when we come back we will definitely stay in Aminjirah again.

Room Tip: We had room 6, great views.
2  Thank frankoptimo

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent two nights at this romantic hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a bit of a trek up the hill to get there but well worth it. The view from the infinity pool is absolutely breathtaking at sunset and perfect place to have breakfast. The rooms are absolutely lovely, they are moulded into the cliff face and have a fantastic sea view. The resort staff are extremely friendly and helpful but I do have to agree with other reviews of the breakfast set up. The staff didn't seem to understand the menu options and the included breakfast is really limited. You have to pay extra fro other items which is confusing when even the staff don't know what is going. Having said that is still a great place to stay and I'd recommend a stay here!

1  Thank Cath2525
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon traveling around Thailand, and of all the places we stayed this was my favorite. The location was stunning, and everything about the experience felt easy, laid-back, and luxurious without being at all stuffy.

We got in at night, tired and disoriented from a long and frustrating day of traveling, and the manager sensed our mood, kept his welcome speech short, and led us directly to our room, giving us a brief but helpful overview before leaving us to our own devices. I was initially concerned about noise because our room, the Sunset Dream suite, was directly adjacent to the pool and restaurant area, but they must have done a great job of sound-proofing the walls because we couldn't hear a thing.

We woke to endless ocean views from the window opposite our bed. After lounging around on the soft white sheets for a bit we ventured over to the restaurant for breakfast, during which we discussed big plans to go explore the island.

We never made it out.

It was so nice just hanging out by the infinity pool, lounging under umbrellas in the comfy, cushioned lounge chairs, scoping the breathtaking sea and mountain views, taking a dip whenever we got too hot and ordering large Chang beers and fresh young coconuts from the comfort of the stone benches thoughtfully placed within the pool, that we ended up spending all day kickin' it at Amanjirah. Breakfast and lunch poolside, a quiet, romantic dinner on our private balcony, and a long night of quiet sleep in our canopy bed (with SWAN TOWELS, no less) - yeah, we felt lazy, but it was just so darn relaxing, and the folks who work there are beyond friendly and helpful. We even made friends with some of the other couples staying there - hard not to, when you're all hanging around the pool all day.

(We did make it out the next day, so there.)

We spent three nights at Amanjirah. I wish it could have been three months.

Room Tip: Spring for the Sunset Dream suite. The ocean views and private balcony are SO worth it.
1  Thank GnomeDepot
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Your review came in just in time to make this a happy day. Sometimes, when you have had a long day and are tired, moments like your kind review make it all worth it. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel will simply take your breathe away when you see the view. Some rooms have a direct view, others do not. But you can soak it all up around their luscious infinity pool, whilst enjoying an excellent cocktail. The food was superb and very reasonably priced compared to restaurants in town; offering Thai classics and some staple Western dishes. I would advise caution to unsteady walkers, or those that struggle in low light, as the paths and steps can be tricky at night. San the

Reviewed February 16, 2013

First off, the manager of this resort, is one of the kindest, attentive, curtious men I have met in all of Thailand. Air conditioner did not work, he fixed it. Booking issues due to limited room availabilty, no problem, he upgraded our room at no charge on our last night. This is a man, and resort that believes that customer service is an investment, in that if you treat people like they are royalty, they will come back and pay to recieve the same treatment and service. Budget rooms are on the smaller side, but clean and comfertable. Ocean view rooms were super spacious and made for a king. Really happy to get that upgrade. View from the pool is to die for, especially at sunset. Resort is clean, food is great, location is a 5min drive to the main area where the bars/restaurants are. Just an overall unforgetable experience. Will be back, and I highly recomend to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Awdil A
Aminjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Guest

San will be thrilled to read your review! Please everybody, don't keep telling him he is so good as he will request higher salary :-)

Just joking! Pleased that you enjoyed our resort and your comments are fair about the smallest room, but we do point that out on the website luckily.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Loved our stay here. Pool area was beautiful. Staff very friendly and helpful. Place has a very exotic feel. Basic rooms are nice but very small. Worth paying the bit extra for an oceanview room. Manager very attentive

• Stayed: February 2013

We agree it's worth paying a bit more for ocean view, but have the standard rooms for those that want to experience the rest of the resort and just want a comfortable place to hang their hat and park their horse.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'd really like to give the Aminjirah a 3.5 rating. After reading such fabulous reviews I expected more and have mixed feelings of the hotel.
The Aminjirah is in a fantastic location with wonderful sunset views. It is just outside of Sairee (for those who wish to get away from it all) and while it may be possible to walk into town I rented a scooter and thought this was the best way to get around.
The pool area is well maintained with lovely views. I can not say enough about the staff by the pool and restaurant. They were friendly and always reading to help with a smile. They really made my stay. The drinks in particular are good.
I stayed in an Ocean Fantasy Suite room. The suite itself was large and well equipped. As it was described as having 'truly lovely ocean views' I was rather disappointed and actually asked if this was the correct room. While I could catch glimpses of the sea through the trees it was certainly not what I was expecting and I think the Superior rooms may actually have better views. My major problem with this room was the bathroom. On the site it appears to be fully rennovated with mosaic tiles. I am particular about bathrooms and this is one of the reasons I chose this room. The bathroom has a small mosaic tiled area around the sink but the rest was quite old. No windows, dark and the shower was attached to a wall without any kind of enclosure so the water went everywhere. There was what seemed to have been a spa bath at one time that was filled with rocks??
There is not a lot of mid-priced accommodation in Ko Tao and after seeing my room I felt that the price was a little high (particularly since booking through the site the Baht price is put into dollars which was then converted into Euro on my credit card). With taxes and all the price was almost 100 euro per night.
San (the manager) was very helpful and gave a lot of information about places to visit. Provided pick-up and drop off from the port.
San recommended someone to rent a scooter from who is 'honest' Nang Oil on the main road just up from the port. The scooter was very new with good brakes and tires which are needed on the island. However when I returned the bike there were some scratches (which anyone knows after being there) WILL happen inevitably because of the roads (potholes, large speedhumps, dirt roads etc). I was happy to pay something however the owner insisted that every single panel with a tiny scratch must be replaced. He wanted 20 000 baht for scratches (no dents, nothing broken, some of which were barely visible on a panel). After much arguing and discussion (I was running late to catch a ferry) I had to give him 250 euro (as he had my passport) in order to leave. This was absolutely extortion and I felt it left a very sour taste in my mouth after such a nice vacation. My advice is to not use Nang Oil bikes as you will most certainly be charged.

Room Tip: Do not choose the Ocean Fantasy suites for their views or bathrooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind and honest feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the views, the pool and that our staff was as helpful and friendly as we ourselves find them to be.

We always listen to constructive critique and with regards to the room you occupied I agree that the shower area is a bit on the quirky side and something we will address during low season when there is time do so. Personally I enjoy staying in this room with quirky (but well functioning bathroom and all) and find the ocean views spectacular. I do not feel the bathroom is old in any fashion and our staff keep it well. There was indeed a jacuzzi style tub previously which has been turned into a display feature instead due to the scarceness of water on the island. We do not advertise the jacuzzi though.

Granted the views are better from our Royal Suite and Sunset Dream Suite but the pricing is also quite different. Regarding pricing, then we feel that we are priced fairly compared to neighboring resorts such as Thipwimarn and Dusit Buncha. Considering their reviews, their facilities, service and more I believe for most room types we are actually less expensive and considering we have three pools + the size of your suite (40 sqm+ with a large balcony) I think we are priced right for peak season.

I am sorry about your scooter adventure and I have instructed San to refrain from recommending this particular operator as well as any other operators since we do not want to be held responsible the occurrences that will invariably happen. In my experience there is lots of good operators on the island, but it truly is a difficult business to be in. We even had scooters ourselves at one point as a service setting out with the policy to be 100% fair and not charge MORE than just what it costs to fix a bike when broken. Unfortunately in many cases even being fair, this proved to leave a sour taste and bad feelings as if someone has an accident, having to pay ANYTHING extra feels like salt in the wound. So let me say this: only rent a motorbike if you know how to drive one and know that all operators WILL take your passport and they WILL charge you if you smash it up.

Please note that I am not saying this is the case with your experience and that you might very well indeed have been taken for a ride by "Nang Oil Bikes" and we are indeed sorry for recommending them. Won't happen again :-(

All in all I am that you liked Aminjirah and hope to see you again.