“Friendly, professional and perfectly tranquil”
Review of Aminjirah Resort

Aminjirah Resort
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, professional and perfectly tranquil”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I really enjoyed Amanjirah and would definitely go back. Having spent a good few days at a beach hotel it was lovely to escape up into the hills more, still see the sea and relax in a beautiful tranquil setting.

Food was top-notch and the staff could not have been more helpful.

Highly recommendable!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We've had a 5 night stay in the Amanjirah Resort and it was great!! The view was amazing, we wish we could have stayed longer!

The rooms and the hotel area were very clean.

We can only recommend this beautiful hotel up on the cliffs and before i forget it, the food was delicious!!!!

1 Thank Lexiani
Liverpool
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This place is absolutely wonderful.

My boyfriend and I only got to stay here for 2 nights, we had hoped to extend our booking, but unfortunately all the rooms were fully booked.

The other reviews mention the small pools, but these were perfectly adequate for a dip to cool off and fairly normal for Thailand in terms of this type of accomodation.

The view of the sunset and out to sea from the plunge pool is out of this world. We spent two early evenings in this pool watching the sun go down and it was one of our favourite places to be!

The resort is small, but perfectly formed, the terrace is great, with 2 hammocks and lots of relaxed seating. We ate in the resort a few times and the food is of a really good quality. We were impressed that we could set up a tab and pay our bills before check out. We were served breakfast on our terrace outside our room every morning and it was a real treat.

The pick up and drop off at the ferry port is great and they were very efficient.

I would love to go back here and stay for a few more nights!

1 Thank weso10
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2011

If you are considering booking a room at this resort - DON'T! If you have - CANCEL! I have just lost a lot of money because my room was infested with cockroaches! Obviously being in Thailand you expect to come across the odd gecko or cockroach but this was a complete joke! I am unbelievably disappointed with this resort and the way my situation was dealt with. I was woken at 5am this morning to find cockroaches in my bed!!!! Being a light sleeper I felt something tickling my arm and opened my eyes to find another cockroach on my pillow just near my face!! Disgusting!! I was shocked as the manager informed me I had to stay in that room or check out BUT was not going to be refunded at all for the following three nights which i had already paid for!! I would have been happy to move to another room or get a refund and move elsewhere but this incredibly rude woman told me "You leave....no refund!!!" The staff found it amusing as she tried to tell me there were not cockroaches but infact 'rain bugs' and after a tedious row I decided to leave. It has to be said I have never met anyone so unprofessional and ignorant in all of my travels. It is such a shame as the staff are lovely and this place could be great. I am now in another resort in Koh Tao, half the price, much better food, cleaner rooms, the wifi actually works and best of all NO COCKROACHES!! Don't waste your money at Amanjirah!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank sinead1010
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
I am very sad to see your review since our staff did absolutely not laugh at your situation but they were discussing between themselves the type of bug you found in your room. This particular room is one of our best rooms and has large large doors to the sea view and our staff witnessed that the doors were left open often during the day, which is usually not a problem but during your stay it was indeed raining and quite humid which attracts certain kind of bugs. The bug in question and on your pictures is not a cock roach but in Thai it's called "Mang Taab" and it routinely comes into homes and dry places during rainy weather.

Regarding the refund situation then our resort was fully booked and we could not move you to another room but we offered several options to try remedy the situation. We can indeed not make a refund due to such an incident as we cannot control nature. If it had been due to uncleanliness or fault of us we would have done so. You also fail to mention that you moved to a completely different room type at another resort, so of course it would be more cheap. As a matter of fact the room type you stayed in at our resort is our largest with huge sea view windows and the suite is large than 45 sqm.

If anyone are interested for me to send more information about this "false cockroach" then please do email me at our resort's email.
Ventura, California
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Fascility is brand new, its access is easy by bike, price is reasonable and its view friom small pool side is pleasant. However, I have to close curtain during daytime because the room is proximally visible from public space. Guests in public space can easily see and enter into other private balcony. Chatting of other guests in public space is clearly heard in private balcony.
Service is neither yet established nor well organized. Some staffs are not trying to help guests and responding beeuracratically.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Amanjirah, Owner at Aminjirah Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We are a very small place and make no secret about that. Some rooms are more private than others and we are happy to recommend potential guests which ones are more private during reservation procedure. Most hotels I have stayed at (at our price range) other guests can look to your private balcony or you can hear guests from your own balcony, so I find some of the comments a bit unfair. In any case, I would like to recommend everybody that wants to book with us, if they require a lot of privacy to check during booking. Also, being small and minded about our island, we try to employ local people also and it is indeed true that many do not speak much English. However, the important staff at our resort speak very good English. So if you are looking for a small intimate resort with beautiful views, lovely rooms and pools, and good service without much fuss or pretentiousness then I think we are that place. If you are looking for a big resort with 5 star facilities and every body speaking English then we are not the right choice.
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We spent 8 days at the Amanjirah resort and highly recommend it if you prefer a high standard of accommodation, friendly and helpful staff and a perfect location on koh Tao.

We enjoyed the large sea view
suite, which was spacious with a huge liiving space, walk in wardrobe, large entry and stunning views. We were able to lie in bed and watch the many dive boats and long tails passing by.

The location is perfect. 5 minutes by scooter to town or a 15 minute walk which we did half a dozen times and enjoyed the exercise. The resort runs a free taxi service at scheduled times to town. The resort is elevated above the water providing a perfect setting for for watching the sunset sitting on our balcony or soaking in the plunge
pool with a drink.

The pools are small by comparison to a larger resort, however we generally had either pool to ourselves or shared with only a few other friendly guests.

We enjoyed dining several nights on the terrace, including a special dinner for my husband's 50th birthday. The Thai menu and food is delicious and very reasonably priced. The Mai tai cocktails are the best presented and most delicious we tasted during our several week stay in Thailand.

A truely wonderful holiday experience.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank JennyB6186
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Being an expat in Thailand one doesn't often get surprised about the quality and service of hotels around The Kingdom. Especially in the smaller areas, things can tend to get sticky and website not accurately portray what you will find on arrival.

This resort is not on of those cases. Infact I would venture to say, that what you see on the website actually gets blown away by what you experience on location. Somehow the garden seems greener, the pools bluer and the view even better once you have arrived.

And the guest rooms, I could go on and on about the guest rooms (as I moved rooms twice due to the place being full), are just very very nice: beautiful decorations, comfortable bedding, HUGE plasma tvs, wifi (they even got lent me a small pc for free), nice bathrooms... Being gay, this is hugely important to me, and traveling with my partner didn't turn any heads here.

Truly this place is a steal and one of the best places I have stayed so far on my many travels in Thailand.

I really can't recommend this enough!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the tub!