“Honeymoon Experience”
Review of Woodlawn Villas

Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Well, to be honest I don't usually write comments for any blogs or forums even though I use them for further information. So as most of the other people I found Woodlawn villas on tripadvisor and other forums on German websites. As me and my wife were on our honeymoon I was obviously looking for a nice accomodation. There are top nodge accomodations available at Koh Tao but we decided on purpose to stay at Wooslawn as it offers an authentic place with excellent house keeping and terrific support from Luke and Michelle. Both owners are nothing but lovely people who make a big difference to other high class accomodations around the world. So the following bullets show you the big pros and only very very small cons of Woodlawn villas:
Pros:
- Price/Benefit ratio
- clean
- nicely located (next to a super market, laundry, food etc.) and close to the beach.
- quiet and perfect to enjoy some time together (even for families)
- each bungalow is equipped with a kitchen but food delivery is cheap and goood :)
- cute furnitured
- authentic (what you see on pics is what you really get), you also have somehow the impression of being in the jungel even though this isn't the case
- fantastic housekeeping

Cons (well there are no real cons if you really know what you want):
- is located on a hill which makes it so quiet and nice but might be a bit steep for those who don't rent a scooter or don't take a taxi.
- no spa area or anything like that but just keep in mind woodlawn villas isn't a fancy 5 star location but rather an authentic, nice and clean accomodation.

I can definitely recommend this location. The owners are reliable and lovely people. I wouldn't recommend it if this isn't worth it.

2  Thank Kyung H
WoodlawnVillas, Owner at Woodlawn Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during your honeymoon.

We do hope to see you both return here again in the future, perhaps for your anniversary :-)

Take care and we wish you all the best!

There are newer reviews for Woodlawn Villas

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was looking for a paradise island among all the Thai islands for a 5 day trip in April-May 2012 - definitely with a good hotel.
And I chose Koh Tao because of Woodlawn Villas. Koh Tao and Woodlawn combined for me into just a terrific holiday!
I found the hotel on tripadvisor, immediately checked the web-site and after reading the introduction page became absolutely sure that this is the best place for me to stay.

What I loved:
- Absolutely friendly owners - Luke and Michelle, who welcomed we with warmth, gave me a brief tour over the island map, were guiding me with my every question and step, giving useful tips and ideas of activities, places to go, eat and buy food . Luke and Michelle managed to create home-like atmosphere: always laughing, nice staff in the hotel, doggies playing in the morning among the palm trees

- Private location in the middle of coconut plantation with jungles sounds in the night, no cars, no crowds of people around

- My spacious Garden Villa with a comfortable bed, aircon and fan for my choice, simply equipped kitchenette with menus of nearby restaurants which offered food delivery – like a room service:)

- Freedom beach which is within 20-30 minutes walking distance from the villas – small, quiet, a bit wild and incredibly beautiful

- John Sumwan viewpoint within 30-40 minutes walking distance: you have to climb up the path around the huge stones through the jungles, but on the top you are awarded with spectacular scenery over the southern part of Koh Tao

- Cheap laundry place, small fruit stores and home restaurants nearby

For those who are planning to spend lots of time in Sairee village, the hotel location may seem a bit distant – better to rent a motorbike as taxi will cost 300 THB one way. But for those who are seeking for a great time in a green welcoming place – this is the best place to stay on Koh Tao!!!
Next time I am planning my trip to Thailand, I will definitely come back to Woodlawn villas...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Katrina_Vasilchenko
WoodlawnVillas, Owner at Woodlawn Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for the fantastic review!

It was lovely to meet you and we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday at Woodlawn Villas and the island of Koh Tao itself.

We do hope to see you out here again in the future!

Take care,

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I can't praise the amazing help given to us by Luke enough! You can look on Trip Advisor to see all the brilliant comments about the accommodation(all of whch were true) but what really stood out about Woodlawn was the help and kindness showed by Luke and Michelle. We had to change our bookings a number of times due to our son being very ill, but nothing was too much trouble for them. You also get great advice about things to do on Koh Tao from Luke when you arrive. For those travelling to this lovely island who want to have the advantage of feeling isolated and away from the crowds, but at the same time being a few minutes walk away from beaches and other attractions, you must consider Woodlawn. Great value for what you get! Thanks, thanks, thanks Luke and Michelle! We got back safe and sound and Daniel is 100% better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review!

It was lovely to meet the 3 of you and we had thrilled to hear you enjoyed your holiday at Woodlawn Villas.

We really enjoy passing on our local knowledge and like to assist our guests as much as we possibly can.

We are very pleased to hear Daniel is 100% better, what a relief!

We do hope you visit us again in the future!

Take care & we wish you all the best.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Woodlawn Villas. The welcome from Luke was fantastic, and provided lots of useful information and local knowledge to make our stay better. The villa was very spacious and comfortable and every little thing had been thought of, from a well equipped kitchen, to umbrellas and torches. Although not on the beach, it was within walking distance of the best beaches on the south coast, and lots of great places to eat/shops nearby. Any questions or difficulties were dealt with very quickly and efficiently from both Luke and Michelle. Pre visit communication was also excellent.

Also need to mention Roland, the snorkel guide who was recommended by Luke. Very reasonable rates, and as people who have snorkelled frequently around the world, it was the best snorkel trip we've done, not just because of the location, but the whole experience with Roland, who took us out for hours, and suggested good places to snorkel, and went at our pace, rather than clock watching and asking us to move on.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review!

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you both and we are so happy you had such a great time at Woodlawn Villas and on your snorkelling trip with Roland.

We hope to see you both here again in the future!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our decision to travel to Koh Tao was determined by a need to kill time and its convenience for my travel plans. My partner and I undertook a scuba course and I booked this place based on tripadvisor reviews. When we arrived it was amazing, really well furnished and spacious. The perfect retreat after a tiresome day of diving. Luke was welcoming and gave us a rundown of the island as well as a mobile which was handy to order room service and taxis etc. The only problem we encountered was that on our departure, which was at 6.30am due to an early morning dive, I was required to phone the taxi I had organised the night before to confirm pick up. Unfortunately, our phone had run out of credit and we weren't able to call the taxi or anyone to meet us at reception so we were forced to walk to town. This wasn't ideal but I suppose wasn't anyone's fault, but it definitely tarnished the otherwise perfect experience.
Also, the cleaner who tends to the room should be tipped, he does an amazing job.

Room Tip: Upstairs suites are recommended
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review!

It was a pleasure to meet you both and we are so pleased that you had a great time at Woodlawn Villas.

In regards to your departure, this situation would have been avoided if you had let us arrange your taxi departure for you.

Our guests normally allow us to provide this service for them to ensure a smooth departure process, however you assured us you did not need our assistance.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I don't know where to begin, but wow!! This was one of the most lovely places I have ever stayed. This is certainly the best place to stay on Koh Tao, maybe even the entire east coast of Thailand. To give a little background on my trip, I had been travelling around Northern Thailand and Laos for 4 weeks with my girlfriend before heading to the South for the full-moon party. We both recently graduated college, and we basically took the 'backpackers' route to get a cultural experience of what Thailand has to offer. Although the full moon party was fun, Koh Phangan was a huge disappointment for us. The beaches aren't nice, it's overcrowded with tourists (for the party), and it didn't seem authentic. So to end our vacation, we decided to spend 3 nights in Koh Tao, to end our trip authentically, but in luxury.

We ended up staying in the Twilight Villa, which is the big one, and it is just incredible. It was almost too nice for a couple like us, but if you have a family, or are travelling in a group of 4-6 people, this would be absolutely perfect. Luke is just phenomenal, and tells you everything to do on the island. They give you a cell phone to order food in for dinner/breakfast (which is a fantastic idea), and there aren't any delivery charges. At nighttime, the DVD selection actually had movies I enjoy or had been wanting to watch. If you're young like us, and want to check out the official full moon after party, the Castle is walking distance. Although we weren't a huge fan of a party, it's the best place to socialize and meet other backpackers our age.

In terms of location, Woodlawn is the PERFECT place on the island. There are plenty of places to eat or drink coffee or get a massage, and you're also walking distance from the best beaches on the island. I rented a motor-bike one day to check out the 'main' beach, where most of the resorts are, and I honestly feel sorry for people stuck on that side of the island. Chaluk bay and freedom beach were my favorite beaches on the island. They are very nice for relaxing/sunbathing, and they are just beautiful. Freedom beach is authentic, secluded, and has an amazing coral reef you can just swim to (there were snorkels in the villa for us to use). But if you really want a legit snorkel trip, hit up Rolan on the cell phone. Seriously, best snorkel trip of my life. Not only is Rolan one of the most legit people I have ever met, he takes you to all the good spots on the island for a LONG day of snorkeling. Beyond the coral and fish, we saw sharks and sea-turtles larger than myself!!

The three nights we spent at the twilight villa were the highlight of our vacation in Thailand. Luke and Michelle really have something special going on there. It was the nicest, and cleanest place we stayed all month. It's extremely luxurious, but at the same time, you have the opportunity to have an authentic Thai-island experience, that you just won't get at a resort. Whether you're backpackers like us, or a couple, or a family, Woodlawn is the only place to stay in Koh Tao. You will regret not staying here!!!

Much Love <3

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review!

It was a pleasure to meet you both and we are so happy to hear you enjoyed your holiday at Woodlawn Villas.

Take care & we hope to see you both here again in the future :-)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Everything you need for an island stay. Quiet location with immaculate villas yet 10 minutes from great selection of bars, restaurants and beaches. Luke, Michelle and Elaine couldnt be more helpful and I urge anyone to take up their suggestion to go snorkelling with the very entertaining Rolan!!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Delaquado

Thank you for your fantastic review!

It was an absolute pleasure to accommodate you at Woodlawn Villas.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the snorkelling trip with Rolan :-)