“Basic Bunking”

Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #117 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This place has got some pretty low reviews but if your a backpacker looking for a few nights cheap bunking on a tropical island it does the job.

The air con was pretty noisy at night and the shower/toilet area a bit smelly but it is a hostel so you can't always expect perfection. Other than that the place was pretty clean and tidy. The staff were all friendly and helpful when we had questions (one guy even managed to change up one of our 1000 notes out of his own pocket when the 7/11 had 'no change'). There are posters up with useful info on such as 'if your bed squeaks come and tell us and we will come and tighten the joints' and how to start the hot water if it stops (although hot water always worked for me).

As some reviewers mentioned there is no common area; we went on the pub crawl but maybe some socials organised at the DJL pool bar would bring the hostel customers together and be a nice addition. The staff and food at the DJL Pool bar was very good!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 13, 2014

After travelling thailand for 9 weeks over the past year, this is by far the worst place i have stayed at. This property is where they give the divers of 'Davy Locker Room Dive School' they're free accomodation.

UK Prisons are better than this. The rooms are concrete rooms (no paint on the walls or decorative flooring). Rickerty old metal bunkbeds that creaked whenever someone turned in the night. You need to make up and remove the bedsheets yourself too.

The toilet & shower area stunk of sewerage. I do not have one nice thing to say about this place.

Booked to stay for 6 nights, after 2 nights we had to book into a £30/night hotel as it was the only accomodation left in Sairee.

Room Tip: Dont book to stay here, you wwill regret it
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank EssexTraveller123
Phil D, Owner at Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Having never spent time in a UK prison myself I'm unable to confirm your comparison, I was a little concerned however about your report that someone had stolen the paint off the walls but I have checked and it does seem to have been returned. Looking at when you stayed I think you may have been unfortunate enough to have been staying at the hostel when someone was unfortunately 'ill' in the middle of the night after going on the pub crawl and apparently and mistook a shower for a toilet.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

This hostel we would rate as average, therooms were not.very clean.and we had to ask them.to clean.rooms many times, the shower was broken and no hot water, beds a bit hard as well.but worth a stay if you are on a tight budget.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hostel is embarrassing. Dirty, old, small and the staff isn't friendly at all. The room I was in had just two electric plugs and both away from the beds. No personal light, no table, no nothing. Walls were full of spiderwebs. But the most embarrassing thing were the showers. olds, dirty, and the water pressure was almost absent. AVOID

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Gianluigi1983
Phil D, Owner at Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Well the cost really isn't that much to avoid the hostel you can stay in a nice private fan room opposite the swimming pool at Silver Sands Resort for just an additional 650 baht per night. Where you have your own light and shower with hot water and even your own TV, sorry no table though? These rooms are only 2 1/2 years old and a full year newer than the hostel. Seriously it's budget accommodation on a tropical island you fool if you want more pay more.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at Koh Tao backpackers for one week. I have to say if I wasn't diving every day and hardly ever at the hostel, I would not have liked staying here. The dorm room I stayed in was ok, but there was no window to open which with 8 people got very stinky and stuffy indeed. The aircon kind of helped, but as I had a bed directly underneath I got absolutely blasted with it and was waking up sick in the morning. So cold on one end of the room, but still stuffy at the other end according to the other guests. Also lighting was really bad at night which made it hard to study for my PADI exams (only one end of the room was lit - one light). No communal space to hang out, and no kitchen which can be annoying for backpackers looking to meet people. Bathrooms had a vile stench that smelled like a small animal had died. Not helped by the no shoe policy in the hostel, and you're walking around on gross dirty floors. Staff are really rude, not even due to communication barrier (their English is actually ok) but just really rude for rude's sake - I saw them plain yelling at guests (v unprofessional). Oh and they charge you for a top sheet or blanket here (by the night, so not just a one off payment). Does bedding not come with your bed for the night? Ridiculous! Same goes for towels. My recommendation is if you can get a bungalow and split the cost with your mate, it will be just as cheap (depending where you pick) and much more pleasant!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

We no longer charge for towels or blankets as this seemed to be the root of many complaints we received, I just assumed it would be fairer to not charge people who were backpacking with a towel and sleeping bag/blanket and only charge people for the laundry cost if they did rent these from us. I do apologise I was mistaken and so now we have just included these in the nightly rate for everyone, so it's no longer an issue.
Yes there is only the one larger fluorescent light in the dormitory, but this is actually pretty bright. If you were having trouble seeing your books in order to study then there is also the DJL Dive School bar almost opposite the hostel which we use as a common area as I'm the owner and it didn't really make sense to build a common room inside the hostel seeing as I own a swimming pool and bar restaurant less than 10m from the hostel, where of course you get discounted food when staying at the hostel. I'm surprised that you missed this as I would have thought that someone must have mentioned this when you were diving with DJL as of course this also gets you discounted accommodation at the hostel or FREE accommodation with dive courses. Sorry no kitchen at the hostel as I say I own a restaurant over the road and as we are in Thailand even here on this tropical island you can get a meal for 60 baht or something from 7-11 for even less.
We do use Bio Aid in the toilets and showers which I know has a bit of an odd odor smelling not the best but we use it as this breaks down the waste in an environmentally friendly way instead of using bleach and other chemicals as many resorts do which has resulted in the damage you probably saw on Sairee reef.
You say the staff where yelling at customers, occasionally this is required with the the ones that completely ignore what you are telling them and do completely the opposite (most often late at night when they are very drunk returning from the pub crawl or beach bars), in general though the staff are nice and pleasant providing the customer isn't causing problems. Basically treat people how you would like to be treated yourself.

I am a little confused though if the conditions and experience at the hostel we so terrible as you have put in your review then why the heck didn't you just mention something at the dive school to change your accommodation to one of the other free options that come with the diving courses like one of the private fan rooms that we have at the dive school?????

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in a 4 bed dorm room which was clean enough and had lockers and air con plus a fan. Shower and toilet area constantly had a vile stench in the air but Were not the dirtiest you will find I'm sure, staff helpful and friendly enough, were given sheet and pillow case but had to pay per night for a blanket. Worst part about it was the pillow which I can only describe as a bag of gravel (and that's being kind) overall it's in a good location and does what you need it too for the price!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was travelling solo in August and wanted to find a hostel to stay. it is very close to the pier and the beach. It's also more quiet than the main beach, which I prefer. The hostel is still new, so it is clean. Perfect for backpacker.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo