“Average hostel”

Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #110 of 147 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

This hostel we would rate as average, therooms were not.very clean.and we had to ask them.to clean.rooms many times, the shower was broken and no hot water, beds a bit hard as well.but worth a stay if you are on a tight budget.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hostel is embarrassing. Dirty, old, small and the staff isn't friendly at all. The room I was in had just two electric plugs and both away from the beds. No personal light, no table, no nothing. Walls were full of spiderwebs. But the most embarrassing thing were the showers. olds, dirty, and the water pressure was almost absent. AVOID

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Gianluigi1983
Phil D, Owner at Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Well the cost really isn't that much to avoid the hostel you can stay in a nice private fan room opposite the swimming pool at Silver Sands Resort for just an additional 650 baht per night. Where you have your own light and shower with hot water and even your own TV, sorry no table though? These rooms are only 2 1/2 years old and a full year newer than the hostel. Seriously it's budget accommodation on a tropical island you fool if you want more pay more.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at Koh Tao backpackers for one week. I have to say if I wasn't diving every day and hardly ever at the hostel, I would not have liked staying here. The dorm room I stayed in was ok, but there was no window to open which with 8 people got very stinky and stuffy indeed. The aircon kind of helped, but as I had a bed directly underneath I got absolutely blasted with it and was waking up sick in the morning. So cold on one end of the room, but still stuffy at the other end according to the other guests. Also lighting was really bad at night which made it hard to study for my PADI exams (only one end of the room was lit - one light). No communal space to hang out, and no kitchen which can be annoying for backpackers looking to meet people. Bathrooms had a vile stench that smelled like a small animal had died. Not helped by the no shoe policy in the hostel, and you're walking around on gross dirty floors. Staff are really rude, not even due to communication barrier (their English is actually ok) but just really rude for rude's sake - I saw them plain yelling at guests (v unprofessional). Oh and they charge you for a top sheet or blanket here (by the night, so not just a one off payment). Does bedding not come with your bed for the night? Ridiculous! Same goes for towels. My recommendation is if you can get a bungalow and split the cost with your mate, it will be just as cheap (depending where you pick) and much more pleasant!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

We no longer charge for towels or blankets as this seemed to be the root of many complaints we received, I just assumed it would be fairer to not charge people who were backpacking with a towel and sleeping bag/blanket and only charge people for the laundry cost if they did rent these from us. I do apologise I was mistaken and so now we have just included these in the nightly rate for everyone, so it's no longer an issue.
Yes there is only the one larger fluorescent light in the dormitory, but this is actually pretty bright. If you were having trouble seeing your books in order to study then there is also the DJL Dive School bar almost opposite the hostel which we use as a common area as I'm the owner and it didn't really make sense to build a common room inside the hostel seeing as I own a swimming pool and bar restaurant less than 10m from the hostel, where of course you get discounted food when staying at the hostel. I'm surprised that you missed this as I would have thought that someone must have mentioned this when you were diving with DJL as of course this also gets you discounted accommodation at the hostel or FREE accommodation with dive courses. Sorry no kitchen at the hostel as I say I own a restaurant over the road and as we are in Thailand even here on this tropical island you can get a meal for 60 baht or something from 7-11 for even less.
We do use Bio Aid in the toilets and showers which I know has a bit of an odd odor smelling not the best but we use it as this breaks down the waste in an environmentally friendly way instead of using bleach and other chemicals as many resorts do which has resulted in the damage you probably saw on Sairee reef.
You say the staff where yelling at customers, occasionally this is required with the the ones that completely ignore what you are telling them and do completely the opposite (most often late at night when they are very drunk returning from the pub crawl or beach bars), in general though the staff are nice and pleasant providing the customer isn't causing problems. Basically treat people how you would like to be treated yourself.

I am a little confused though if the conditions and experience at the hostel we so terrible as you have put in your review then why the heck didn't you just mention something at the dive school to change your accommodation to one of the other free options that come with the diving courses like one of the private fan rooms that we have at the dive school?????

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in a 4 bed dorm room which was clean enough and had lockers and air con plus a fan. Shower and toilet area constantly had a vile stench in the air but Were not the dirtiest you will find I'm sure, staff helpful and friendly enough, were given sheet and pillow case but had to pay per night for a blanket. Worst part about it was the pillow which I can only describe as a bag of gravel (and that's being kind) overall it's in a good location and does what you need it too for the price!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was travelling solo in August and wanted to find a hostel to stay. it is very close to the pier and the beach. It's also more quiet than the main beach, which I prefer. The hostel is still new, so it is clean. Perfect for backpacker.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janice C
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This place was in the perfect spot with a bit more care it coild be lovely and if your not a full blown backpacker then imwould stay clear the air cone worked bit didnt reach past half way so one side of the room was freezing the other side boiling. You got given a sheet and a pillow case but had to pay for a blanket and the bed has a very noisy and hard plastic cover on it so every move anyone made in bed woke the other people. The bathrooms were a disgrace with no water pressure bad drains so you had to stand in other peoples dirty water. Such a sad thing as the island is one of the most beautiful places we went and if we had not allready arranged our stay in koh samui we would probably have stayed longer just in different acomadation. Did meet some lovely people there and the DJL bar across the way is brilliant with the pool side bar and full english fry up

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A group of 4 of us stayed here, initially planning just to spend three nights. When we arrived the lady who checked us in was lovely and super helpful. We were trying to find a ferry over to Koh Pagnan for full moon party so she suggested a number of places we could go to check for ferry spaces and tickets etc. We ended up extending out stay, so she shuffled new arrivals around into other dorms so that the 4 of us could stay where we were. We left our stuff at the hostel the night we were away for full moon party and when we arrived back late the next afternoon she was so pleased to see us and said she'd been worried because we were so late back...the staff couldn't have been more helpful or more kind. Showers were cleaned regularly, and despite there only being a few of them I never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for a shower. And yes, you're asked to take your shoes off when you arrive, but that helps try to keep the sand out and is common in loads of places all over Thailand...and they were never stolen or anything, so I can't see any reason to complain

It isn't 5 star accommodation, but as a backpacker it was perfect, and much nicer than lots of the other places we stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2013