“Dive school there rules.”

Sairee Cottage Resort
Ranked #6 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 4 days and did the dive class. Awesome team, super fun energy, and great overall course! Ill definitely be going back for my next course this month! Awesome prices. Beautiful waters. The cottages are okay.. A bit toasty if you stay in the ones with no ac.. But cheap price. Located right on the beach in the heart of all the activities!

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for Sairee Cottage Resort

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in a fan room for 350 baht per night!
Single beds and a huge towel instead of a blanket or sheet! Owner very nice and helpful! The room had ants and they came and sprayed to kill them! The room was small and beds uncomfy but for thay money it was do-able! The bungalows did look nice though! Drawback was no fridge the heat in a fan room was unbearable!! Wifi only at reception or bar and it never worked!
Nice little place to go eat/drink is davy jones locker cheap and full of divers so plently of people to chat to! Over all the place was ok for a few days we werent diving so probably spent more time in the room than most! I was dissapointed with the beach it dirty and littered and had dog poo on the beach! Wish we jad taken a water taxi to a secluded beach somewhere

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013

II showed up in Koh Tao wanting to do a rescue diver course (so also the emergency first responder course aswell) with accommodation included and was told to check out Sairee Cottage

The EFR Course: Was taught by an English guy called "Paddy". Excellent teacher, a perfect mix a friendliness and professionalism. Had an answer for even the most specific of questions. Had real experiences of rescues to draw from. Talked through everything in detail. I was a lifeguard for 4 years but learnt more and better first aid chatting and practicing with him than I ever did going to training every month in England

The Rescue Diver Course: "Robin" a Canadian girl was my instructor. Superb. Lots of encouragement, always a big smile on her face, you could ask any question without embarrassment, always used positive language. The perfect mix between taking diving seriously and being safe, while at the same time have fun and enjoying yourself. This is the best scuba course Ive done and she is one of the best instructors ive had full stop. I loved the course and now my confidence and skill level has grown and I want to get more adventurous with future diving. The DMT who was assisting the course was also good, and the other instructors and DMTs where very friendly, very helpful, and had a good sense of humour

The Room (basic dorm): Was comfortable, nice bed, locker space. had a tele(!) and a sofa and relaxing area. Its not the ritz but its nicer than most places ive stayed, and was only 250 a night after the course was done. In koh tao, thats good value. Only the pickiest of flashpackers could complain. its grand

So basically, 2 good courses by two different but awesome instructors, a bloody nice room and a great atmosphere. You may find somewhere a little bit cheaper, but i cant imagine how my experience could have been better. Usually I cant be bothered writing reviews, I make an exception when its either REALLY f**king good or REALLY f**king bad. Obviously Sairee Cottage was the former...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I recently did my open water dive course at sairee cottage and couldn't recommend them more highly. The staff are great and know their stuff, but they are also like a family in their interactions with each other, which makes for a great atmosphere. The small group sizes makes the diving, as you're not a number and we quite often had chats on and off the boat non dive related. The accomodation is ideally located, just off the beach in bungalows, and the food's good too. I had such a good time here that I stayed longer than initially intended to do some more dives and chill on the beach. If you come to koh tao and want personalized diving with a great atmosphere, then look no further.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank GrahamTTka
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was so annoyed with this place as the beach huts were amazing and the place could have been a great stay however the staff were horrendous. They charged us for a scuba course and then as the doctors and clinics were all closed because of the Thai new year (7 days) we couldn't do the course - the instructor sent us to 3 different clinics without ringing them , we had to walk and two were closed and one wouldn't help us wasting a day. Then after promising a refund they fobbed me off for two days as they were all getting drunk and said they had no cash in the office... I went to get a refund on the last day and they only gave me some of it back keeping the rest as a discount on the accommodation that I was no longer entitled to(Again I was promised this back). I was told I would get a full refund and they told me twice to come back on the last day so they could rip me off before I left. The ignorant lady just laughed when i argued - I wouldn't stay here ever again and would urge you to stay at any of the other place around as there are many which are nicer, cheaper and still close to the town and beach where you will be spending most of your time. We made many friends who stay all over the island and couldn't believe how bad our place was.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
trevor e, Manager at Sairee Cottage Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

We do not find this review particularly fair. The reviewers came to the resort and signed up for a diving course. After ascertaining they both had Asthma, our instructor asked them to visit the doctor to get clearance as all asthmatics are.

During the Thai new-year festival every business shuts down on this island, we had no other customers except for these two gentlemen but we kept the dive school open just for them. When no doctor was available on the island it was clear they were not going to be allowed to dive. They asked if they could sign the medical statement again saying no to Asthma, but we refused to take them diving. We consider safety before anything.

It was unfortunate that as all businesses, banks and even our own shop was closed now during the festival we could not get a refund to them for a couple of days and we apologize for this. On their last day of stay however we had access to funds and we issued a full refund of the course fee each. In the review it clearly states we had intention to 'rip them off' this is absolutely not the case as they were always assured of a full refund and they received this.

The guests were then asked to pay for their 3 night stay in the resort. It clearly states on our terms and conditions that there will be no free room or discounted room in the resort if there is no completion of a dive course. The guests agreed and left.

In the review it already mentions the quests liked staying in the resort rooms, all they were asked to do was pay for their stay as they did no diving whatsoever and were not entitled to any free or discounted room.

We are a well respected diving resort. We never have 'ripped' anybody off including these guests. We give the same policies and prices to every guest.

We apoligise for the disruptions during the Thai new year festival and look forward to making sure customer service is not disrupted during next years celebrations.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at Sairee Cottage in April 2013 with our 2 children ages 4 & 7. We stayed in a family bungalow which was perfect for us. Just the right size & super close to the beach! The room was clean & the air-con is a must have! Wifi is available at the restaurant & reception but this is only available between 8am-8pm which is a bit of a pain.

The resort is just brilliant! Perfect location. Not too noisy, I didnt get woken up at night, even the cockerels didnt wake me!
The resturant is great & you have a beautiful view of Sairee beach. The food is really good at the restaurant. Breakfast is good & the pizza's are delicious - a saviour for our children who didnt seem to want to eat Thai like us.
Ice coffee is great here as are the fruit shakes - a must have to cool you down! The staff at the restaurant are really friendly & just so nice, their service is great!
All the staff at Sairee Cottage are excellent. We didnt do diving but we did snorkel & they arranged an excellent snorkling trip for us. We saw some wonderful fish, baby black tip reef sharks, stingray, puffer fish, squid, potato grouper etc. It was amazing & something myself & my family will never forget!
This was our first time to Koh Tao but it wont be our last & Sairee Cottage will definitely be our number 1 choice for accomodation!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great dive location. Friendly staff, very informative and very fun!! Look for Lee Tumley best dive instructor!! Made my 1st dive experiance the best it could have been. In from ny and lee made us want to travel around the world again back to koh Tao to dive with him again. Awesome mate! U won't be let down with sairee cottage. Get upgraded rooms close to the water, great sunsets and have a beer with ur instrutor after a great day of diving ! Highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2013