“Great stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 135 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights to do our advanced diving course. We stayed in a bungalow right near the sea and it was lovely. The dive school was run very professionally and we had private tuition for 2 days (we had 3 instructors to 2 of us) there were a few negative points though... There is a very very annoying cockerel that woke us up in the early hours every day. There is also a building site next door which no one told us about, they started work early in the morning so we had very interrupted sleep. We were a little disappointed with the dive spots... We were expecting to see beautiful coral and lots of fish but this was not the case. All in all it was a good stay but it would be 5 stars if someone shot the cockerel!!

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights. The plan was to stay for 6, but we liked it so much.

Bungalow:
Our bungalow was right by the beach (5 meters), and we could actually hear the waves inside. But we also could hear a lot of other noise! An example is all the scooter traffic and drunk people on the beach at night. Also a couple who was having sex loudly in one of our chairs -on- our porch one night. (This is no joke! Had to chase them away.. ) The number was OB2. I would say this is the best bungalow here when it comes location. The price was 2000baht + 500 for AC but bring ear-plugs.

Diving:
We took the Open Water course with another couple from UK. Our instructor was named Andrew and was so nice! He was relaxed and also very professional. We felt very safe, though this was our first time diving. I would had taken the Advanced course as well if I hadn't got sick. All the diving instructors seem nice, but I can only say that we was really satisfied with Andrew.

Dining:
OK food. Good selection. OK service. Don't expect to get a lot of smiles and be patient. They do their job, and don't expect tip either it seems.

Room Tip: Bungalow OB2 has the best location, but bring ear-plugs!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jostein K
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Loved the place. I'm already planning my return trip. The staff was super helpful and friendly. They even held my room until 4pm when my ferry finally arrived, and personally greeted me when I walked down the path. The cottages are near the beach, have their own bathroom with shower, front porch, and A/C (definitely worth the extra $). Nice and comfortable accommodations (not super elaborate) and very reasonably priced. The numerous Sairee beach bars nearby are a lot of fun, but they aren't so close as to be noisy by the Sairee Cottages.

And for the bonus points, the Dive School is awesome! Trevor runs the dive shop and has a delightful and talented staff. I took my PADI Advanced open water and got my Enriched-Air/Nitrox Cert as well (thanks Felix). For part of our Adv. Open Water course we could pick a specialty so my buddy and I went for Enriched-Air/Nitrox dives, one of which to the shipwreck Sattakut (highly recommended). My only regret is not staying longer, but I'll be back... :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ampang, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

In early January I did my SSI open water diver course at Sairee Cottage Diving! It was an great experience I have ever spent. My instructor(Jessie) was very friendly, helpful, responsible, professional and also wide knowledge of all about diving!! The dive school itself has great facilities and comfortable atmosphere for study!
Highly recommend~

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tori_Dang
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Lovely cottages if a little pokey. Great having your own veranda, and only a minute from the beach and town. The restaurant does fantastic food too. The dive shop attached to this lodging were very professional and of reasonable price, so no need to go looking elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Bungalows were sold out, so we just got a double room at a measly sum of 350 baht. Ensuite bathroom, efficient fan, cabinet for clothes (trust me, this is a good thing when you're travelling for a long time - it's nice not to have your things on the floor every once in a while), good restaurant on the beach, nice staff - only trouble was that the wifi only worked from 8AM to 8PM and didn't reach the rooms, only the reception area. Which actually turned out to be ok, at least I finally had an excuse to actually read instead of browsing the internet.

We also rented snorkelling gear from the dive shop and they were the best we've ever had! No leakage at all, worked perfectly. Too bad we didn't have the money to dive with them, otherwise we definitely would have,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at Sairee Cottage for a week in early October 2012. I was fundiving while my boyfriend was getting his Open Water. The dive shop staffs were knowledgeable and professional. Stayed in one of the AC rooms away from the main road, so it was really quiet and peaceful. Didn't try the restaurant, so I can't comment on that. Highly recommend this place who wants to stay in the middle of the action on Sairee beach but away from the noise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple