“One of the highlights of my SE Asia trip”

Sairee Cottage Resort
Ranked #9 of 148 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I can't say enough great things about Sairee Cottage. I absolutely LOVED it. I planned on staying for a few days and ended up staying 2 weeks. The bungalows are nice and clean. You are in a great central location and only steps to the water. I did my advanced, wreck specialty and had Sarah and Lil as my guides. They were awesome!! couldn't have asked for better instructors. They were always stoked to get in the water and want to share their love of diving with everyone. Everyone at the dive shop were great and made you feel really comfortable. They were always giving advice on places to eat, things to see on the island, and other places you should see and do on your travels around SE Asia. Hopefully I can make up back soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeremythornton

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and would have stayed longer, absolutely loved it. We arrived without a booking and were lucky to get the last available bungalow. We were on a backpacker budget so we took the basic bungalow with twin beds at the back of the resort with fan and cold showers for 400bhat per night.

The location is fantastic, really close to the beach and close to the restaurants and bars. They have their own restaurant looking onto the beach which does both amazing western and thai food. They do have wifi but you could only get this at the reception or in the restaurant and they switch it off when the dive centre attached to it closes.

The bungalow itself was a good size and was really clean. Our fan wasn't the strongest so it did get pretty hot at night. The bathroom was fine and also very clean.

Do not leave your towels outside to dry because if you lose them they will charge you 500bhat. We also booked our ferry ticket to Kho Phangan through them and they offered free drop off to the pier.

If I was staying here again and not on a backpacker budget I would probably upgrade to another bungalow to one with AC just because our bungalow got very hot at night. There is something for every budget here and there are a range of bungalows available. We had friends staying in another of the bungalows with AC, TV, fridge, hot showers which cost more but was also really nice.

There is a dive centre attached to Sairee cottages which offers PADI courses and try dives for reasonable prices. The staff here are really really nice and after trying the try dive I would recommend this to anyone who might be interested in diving. Rachel was a great instructor, really patient and encouraging.

Would definitely stay here again and would recommend this to anyone visiting Ko Tao on any budget.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Jut left this gold mine and have left a changed person. Between the fantastic location and the availability of an outstanding SSI certification, this place should be visited by all. The staff as a whole were so friendly and so much fun. They're all very willing to help YOU with anything that arises both on a hospitality and scuba spectrum. Highly recommend this place

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Arrived at sairee beach after the over night ferry without any reservations and the sairee cottages were able to accommodate our group of three. The bungalows are in an excellent location on the beach. Close enough to various shops and restaurants yet the bungalows are removed enough away from the noise and bustle of Koh Tao night life making our sleep very comfy. The bungalows are clean and spacious with good working AC, and hot water. It is true that you have to ask for your room to be clean but it is in an effort for conservation of energy and water considering the island goes through shortages. The staff arranged everything we asked for: transportation to Aow Luek (great snorkelling place) and our over night ferry to Surat Thani with free transport to the ferry docks.

The only reason I gave this place a "very good" rather than an excellent was that wifi was only available near reception and was not available in the bungalows.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2012

First the pros- beautiful location- on a nice. Each.
- Divvinv was excellent
- the restaurant was very good- cool atmosphere with a great BBQ at night.

Cons- read this carefully!
1- extremely noisey- woken up each night by drunk people makig thief way home. The. Beach front bungalows back on to a walking street where they allow loud dirtbikes.

2- reception extremely rude- not a language barrier this woma. Is just rude and unhelpful- when we asked where we could rent a moped she just waved down the street like it was a bother. She told us we had to pay for out entire stay in cash - by the way they do take visa but charge a 5% fee- no other hotel I stayed at I. Thaand did this. All in all it was unwelcoming the only good thing about this place was the diving a d dive masters were awesome.

3- they keep your passport- again everywhere else I stayed made photocopies and gave it. Ack - this place kept it and did t give it back until they check your room after you check out.

4- beds extrem hard ( even by Thailand standards), bruised my hip!

5- you have to ask for your room to be cleaned And to my horror they merely flipped the duvey over - no clean sheets in the entire time we stayed.

Overall - dive with them ut find better accommodation.

1  Thank Travelgurlz2
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed here for 1 week in Sept. was meant to be meeting as friend in Koh tao to do the open water dive course, but he pulled out at last minute & I went on alone. Ended up not only doing my open water but advanced diving as well, and went from feeling lost and alone to on top of the world! The diving staff are fantastic!. My instructor Chris (Kiwi) was professional, enthusiastic, fun & an A1 teacher. I stayed in an AC bungalow and it was very comfortable. Loved the restaurant too, great to chill with a beer..free wifi. I loved that it was smaller & more personal than some of the big dive schools on the island. Wish I could have stayed longer.. my week at Sairee Cottages has changed my life for the better, If you're thinking about learning to dive..I highly recommend you do it here.. can't go wrong!

Room Tip: A/C bungalows good. Ones near reception get free wifi
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dinemo
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Sairee cottage for a week during September 2012.
If you're planning on doing an open water dive course, or further dive qualifications then Sairee Cottage is just the place.

Dive resorts are more about the diving than the accommodation but the higher priced rooms have aircon, mini fridge and tv. If you're on a tight budget then you get a free room if you sign up to a diving course. These rooms are very basic - fan only and no hot water, but you can upgrade to a better room if you prefer.

Now to the scuba diving. I must confess to being pretty nervous about the course as I am not a strong swimmer and a bit uncomfortable in the water. Our instructors, Neil and Sarah, along with the assistant instructor Lillian, could not have done more to put me at ease. They are all extremely calm and patient, are passionate and enthusiastic about what they do, and go out of their way to ensure that you gain your diving qualification.
Koh Tao itself is not only one of the best areas in the world for diving but also one of the cheapest places you can learn. An SSI open water course is THB 9000, which works out at about GBP 180 or USD 300. Just because it is cheap doesn't mean they cut corners though. All the equipment is up to date and well maintained.
There are many options on Koh Tao for diving but this is up there with the best. Thoroughly recommended!