“If your diving, no where better”

Sairee Cottage Resort
Ranked #8 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Diving at sairee cottages is good...made great by Bear...the man is a legend. If you ever meet him ask to see "the bulldog" it will change your world. Never been diving before and it has now become a focus point for the rest of our travels! Thanks to bear and the diving team for an amazing week,
Joe, will, jack & emma

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank JoeEMB18

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I ended up at Sairee Cottage by chance. I have to say that my whole experience here was a good one. The reception staff were friendly, the rooms were clean. I stayed in two different types, one with ac and another with a fan. I was given the accommodation for free whilst completing my dive course. The restaurant serves really good food, at reasonable prices.

The highlight was the diving. Ko Tao is ideal for people learning to dive, and the dive shop at Sairee cottage will make sure you have the great time doing it. The shop is friendly and chilled out, and all of the staff, make you feel welcome. I wasn’t entirely sure about the whole diving thing, (quite nervous) so I thought I would test the water with a try dive. We had a small group, four people learning to dive, our instructor Ashley and Dive master, Nicky. They were both wonderful. They made the whole experience lots of fun, we had a great laugh and at the same time they were always professional and in full control of every situation. They made you feel safe and completely comfortable. I enjoyed the experience and went on to complete my open water certificate with them - I had an amazing time!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LondonSarfLondon
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The bungalows at Sairee Cottage are nice and impecably clean. They come with ensuite, hot shower, fan and optional A/C (at an outrageous markup). They're a bit expensive though (800B for a fan room, 1300B for A/C), unless you're doing some diving with them (Of course, what would a trip to Koh Tao be without doing some diving). If you do your open water certification they slash 500B off the rate for up to 4 or 5 days (I can't remember exactly the deal we got). I think they have other deals too if you're just doing fun dives or an advanced certification, but you'll have to inquire about those yourself.

Anyway, the dive staff at Sairee is really what makes makes the place great. They're super fun and very professional. I did my Open Water certification there and wish that I stayed longer to do the advanced course. We had Laura and Danny as our instructors and they were the best (just wanted to give them some TA Props).

Word of Warning: There are numerous Roosters around Koh Tao that like to wake you up around 3:30-4:00 AM. This is not specific to Sairee Cottage, but we did have a few outside our bunglaow every morning. Bring earplugs.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris E
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We spent a few days here on a recommendation and thought the rooms where great and the food good. They are the only resort on Sairee the looks after its beachside and has an open area at the back of the beach to hangout, instead of the build as much as you can attitude the other resort have taken. We went diving elsewhere so cant comment on the dive shop but its looks nice and the staff where friendly.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I booked this accommodation for 6 nights during our trip to Thailand. We had donea couple "try dives" in the past but wanted to get our open water certification. All the staff at Sairee Cottage were amazing including our instructor Neil who was great!! We enjoyed it so much we decided to get our advanced open water. The resort has great equipment that is all fairly new and a nice size dive boat to go out on.
Apron arrival the hotel arranged to pick us up from the ferry port and take us the short distance to the resort. We stayed in a Ocean Bungalow, which was a very nice room. The view of the sunset from our balcony was fantastic!! Everyday you also get two bottles of complimentary water with the room.
The "resort" itself is centrally located and is within a minute walk of restaurants, bars, Internet cafes, travel agencies etc. There is also a nice restaurant at the resort that serves a mix of western and Thai cuisine.
The only downside to the resort is that the room we were in was quite noisy at night. I am a very heavy sleeper and I still had trouble falling asleep due to the noise. This is because the main "road" (more like a small path) along the beach constantly has motorbikes and 4-wheelers driving down it. However, most resorts are situated along this road so it may be difficult to escape it. I would just recommend choosing a room type situated back from the pathway if you want a quiet nights sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms away from main "pathway/road" are much quieter
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The resort has accommodation in various priceranges. We chose the beachbungalow, which was the most expensive: 2000THB per night. For aircon you need to pay an additional 500: ridiculous! The - very basic - bungalow is located on the beach and has a beautiful oceanview and a nice deck with a hammock. The back of the bungalow is situated right next to the street, which made sleeping nearly impossible: scooters and drunk people pass by until the early morning. Terrible when you have to get up at 6.30am to do some morning dives. The diveschool was really good. Well organised and with a nice staff. We still remember Rachel's laughter :-)! The restaurant was really gorgious! Great food and great to hang out, relax and watch the stunning sunsets.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank danielle v
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My friend did a diving course here, so we got our room free (even though I wasn't diving!). We had one of the basic terraced bungalows towards the back. Good room, nice little balcony bit out front too. Slightly annoying thing was that the bathroom wasn't completely enclosed to the ceiling (seems common in Thailand), so privacy was a little hard. The restaurant is okay, we mostly went next door as the staff were far nicer. Overall, great place to stay, just be careful with the restaurant! (my friend loved the diving course too)

• Stayed: March 2012