“Excellent place with very friendly and professional dive instructers!”

Sairee Cottage Resort
Ranked #5 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
“Excellent place with very friendly and professional dive instructers!”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Loved my stay! Stayed here for a couple of dive courses and enjoyed it! I would recommend this place if you want to have good dive instructions and I cool time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Myself and a friend spent 4 nights at Sairee Cottage in February this year, we did our Open Water Diving and stayed in 1 of the bungalows...the bungalow was fine, we had a fan room which was fine considering we spent very little time indoors anyway... The staff are the best part of Sairee Cottage, real laid back and friendly, very helpful...all the dive instructors are fantastic (Laura, our instructor had her work cut out but managed to keep me from drowning myself and actually pass the course!!)...The restaurant food was the best we had in Koh Tao, probably the best we had during our time in Thailand...I'll definately be back to Koh Tao and Sairee Cottage and i'll be making sure that any of my friends vising the island stay there too

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Having spent a lot of time on this island i wouldn't recommend anywhere else! I had the most special time at this resort! The staff are fantastic and so kind and helpful. Both my parents have joined me on separate occasions and enjoyed fantastic holidays at Sairee Cottage! The diving is amazing, the diving staff are incredibly safe and trustworthy and trained. Having trained with them on numerous courses i wouldn't go anywhere else on the island or anywhere else in the world, i trust them with my life! The Divemasters and the Instructors know what they are doing and know the dive sites very well. (ask for Neil, Bear or Danny) There is an amazing environment in the dive shop, where you can have fun but know you are safe and being looked after at the same time. The dive shop equipment is extensive and have every size which is difficult to find when you have small feet. The restaurant is FANTASTIC! Don't go anywhere else on the island for a BBQ, they are by far the best! The staff at the restaurant are very welcoming and speak AMAZING English. i recommend the BBQ squid. Defiantly try the massage parlor, the manicures are fantastic! All in all the best place i have come across in, my travels and will definitely come back again and again!

Room Tip: I had a standard room with a cold shower and fan, which is all you need on a breezy island such as t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I've been to Koh Tao twice now, 2010 and 2011. Both times I've stayed in Sairee Cottage. Last year we had one of the bungalows on the beach and wow it was amazing, waking up to that view every morning was magical. The restaurant food is just out of this world, George and Nan really looked after us and aside from a couple of nights eating with friends outside we ate their every night (the red snapper baked with mango salsa is amazing). The resort is clean, staff are kind and the massage parlour is great (ask for Diamond, best massage in Thailand). I always recommend this resort to friends and FAMILY who all now have been there and love it also. My parents are going again this year having been there twice already. My boyfriend has also done his diving there and Chris and Barry really looked after him. Thank you to all the staff in Sairee Cottage for making everyone of our stays magical, special thanks to Nun and Trevor... Hopefully see you again soon

• Stayed June 2011
Edgworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed here 3 times at different stages during our year out travelling and loved everything. Couldn't think of anyway to fault the place. The rooms are very clean and reasonable, the restaurant offers a good choice and always has a good atmosphere (especially at sunset) and the dive team are really welcoming and friendly. So much so we have just booked to return this year!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have just seen the review by Mathdiver and feel compelled to pick him up on a few things he has stated.

Point 1
“We went to Sairee cottage last december and our experience was horrible!
We got robbed and mugged. The hotel is participating to a local mafia robbing tourists that rent motobikes”

I stated on Koh Tao for around 4 weeks,
when asking about renting a scooter I was offered advice by Sairee cottage staff about which rental places to be wary of (its a nice little earner for some less scrupulous rental agencies is to find scratches that you never put there and try to charge accordingly upon return of scooter).
I rented from 2 places in my time on Koh Tao, (giving passport/hotel name both times)

• 1st place (without advice from Sairee Cottage) tried charging for nonexistent damage upon return.
• 2nd place (with recommendation from Sairee Cottage) rental with no problems.

From my experience and gut feeling I would disagree with this statement about Sairee cottage being in cahoots with the local scooter rental Mafia, they are sound helpful people who want to facilitate you having a good time whilst staying with them as this increases the chance of repeat trade and I would happily recommend them to my friends.
I never had any dealings with the police out there, but would hazard a guess that they have little cast iron proof of who is telling the truth (you or the scooter mafia)- that is not Sairee cottages fault is it?

• I got my shoes/bag nicked on Koh Phangnan (I put it down for a minute unattended)
• My friend got robbed when being dropped off at Sairee by scooter taxi (she was drunk/easy target).
If you are making it easier to be a victim of crime you increase the likelihood if it happening.
That is not Sairees fault.
It’s regrettable but true-tourists get robbed.

“On the diving part, they are also pretty unprofessional. they make you pay in advance a course or x fundives and then bring you 4-5 times on the exactly same site (nearby to save some money on the fuel) telling you that weather conditions do not allow going to other places (we checked other schools and they were going to other places...)”

Regards the diving at Sairee Cottage
They operate in smaller groups with a better instructor/student ratio than other dive schools, some of whom had twice as many students per instructor.
I had 4-5 fun dives and completed my advanced with Sairee cottage, they are professional without being stiff, easy going, relaxed and keen to help you get the most out of your diving time.
A few of the dive sites are within a couple of miles of each other and the options of the sites you visit can be affected by bad weather/wind/waves. I went to Chumphon pinnacle (well worth it, loads of fish/bull sharks) with Sairee and the swell was apparent even on a good day (previous attempts to visit had been cancelled due to weather).

I have no reservations recommending Sairee Cottage to others for Diving/accommodation
as they are a professional outfit that has the needs, enjoyment and safety of their dive students’ utmost in their minds at all times.

I would hazard a guess that Mathdiver felt angry about being robbed when he wrote his review but Sairee cottage cannot wave a magic wand and solve the crime of scooter company Mafiosi.

I will have no hesitation in staying or diving with Sairee Cottage when I return to Koh Tao again-
Something I am sure I will do largely due to the wonderful time I had there because of the charm and friendliness of the place and all the staff there above and below the waves.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ambrose89
london
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I am a restaurant owner on koh tao. I have lived there for 9 years. After reading the review of sairee cottage diving bellow in which the rather confused person (mathdiver) states the family are involved in the mafia, i had to write in. The family who operates the resort are some of the nicest people i have met on koh tao, with no connection to any scams or crime organisation, they don't rent bikes or give out personal information away, complete lies. The dive staff are professional and fun-loving and take pride teaching tourists to dive safely and with fun. Reviews such as this take all credibility away from trip advisor.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business