“Awful dive operator”
Review of Simple Life Divers

Simple Life Divers
Ranked #8 of 100 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Small to medium dive school offering all courses from beginner to Professional. We have 2 well equipped dive boats and great on site facilities including custom built pool for diver training as well as bar and restaurant facilities. We can also offer a range of accommodations ranging from dorm beds to private sea view bungalows.
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've dived with several operators in numerous countries and have to say Simple Life offered the worst experience I've had anywhere.

Staff were unhelpful - told complete rubbish on the phone the night before diving. I wanted to make sure I was with divers of similar experience and had rang a few shops who could not accommodate me at short notice, which was fair enough. Simple life said it would be no problem, they had a busy boat etc. No offer of pick up from my hotel.

I ended up with an open water diver, meaning we were then limited to depth & sites. I felt I was looking after him the entire dive as the dive leader checked air ONCE in the entire dive and was going so fast there was no chance to stop and actually look at anything. Not that the guide bothered to point anything out.

Went to busy, uninteresting local dive sites, despite being told they were doing Chumpon Pinacle. Seemed more concerned with how quick we could get the dives over & done with.

Was told to meet at shop 2 hours before we actually left, staff were uninterested and the divemasters there were quite frankly lazy. Shop didn't seem to have anyone in charge, just a 'make it up as you go along' type of operation.

Equipment was broken - had a broken zip on the wetsuit supplied, BCD had a cracked LPI hose and the regulators looked (and tasted!) like they'd not been rinsed from previous salt water use.

Boat itself was chaos - nobody directing customers where to set up, no rinse tanks, tanks filled to 160 bar as standard(!!) when I queried this I got fobbed off, saying this was normal. (200 bar is standard.) Staff/interns completely ignoring customers in favour of talking about the previous night's drinking, no boat brief, no designated wet/dry areas. Smoking all over the boat and no regard for where the cigarette butts were going. Several staff flicking them overboard.

One of the sites we went to had around a 4m wave height and we had a junior open water on board. Not one of the instructors or divemasters, or boat crew, were helping customers on board. I felt this was a particularly dangerous site to have visited given the weather and junior on board. The ladder on the boat was unstable and coming away from the boat in the waves. There was no line thrown out to assist customers getting back to the boat.

The only time one of the divemasters bothered to do anything was when I asked them to take my camera off me given the waves. I got out to find it slung in the weight box! NOT happy about that.

I had booked to do a full days diving, but cancelled the afternoon as the incompetence was unbelievable. One of the instructors didn't know what a scorpion fish was - how you can get to teaching status (as in fact I am) and not know hazardous marine life is beyond me. How can you tell your students what to avoid? I'm not convinced those portraying themselves as instructors were actually qualified.

When I raised my concerns I just got fobbed off. I'm sure if you've never dived before then you may well have had a good experience, but as an experienced diver I would not recommend this place to anyone. there are much more reputable companies on the island, unfortunately I trusted the incorrect information given to me by this shop. I'm lucky I was able to cancel the afternoon as I had not paid up front.

3  Thank jmm84
Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Never dived before, choose simple life to do my PADI open water certificate and they were amazing. I was very nervous after my first session and wasnt sure if I wanted to continue. Jo our instructor was great she reasurred me and made me feel comfortable and safe. Jo was always right there on the dives to make sure i was ok. I completed the course and by the end I wasnt nervous at all. Simple life only take out small groups so you get more instructor time, but we also met lots of friends as well, best of both worlds!

Accomodation was good, basic, but clean and great location. Would reccomend Simple Life when choosing your dive school.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Three of us recieved our PADI Open Water Diving Certificate through Simple Life In January 2014. We had a great experience with our instructor, Zack Morris. Zack took the instruction very seriously and made me feel comfortable in the water. He took me aside a few times for one-on-one instruction as I had difficulty with a portion of the mask lesson. He also took the time to hold my hand and calm me down on our first dive where I was having bouyancy issues. He was a great instructor and very thorough. I felt very confident diving by our second day in the open water.

The boat offers tea, coffee, biscuits. The group of instructors were very friendly and the equiptment was great. I felt safe and well educated for our dives.

The only criticism was a personal one - the instructors (other than Zack) would basically chain smoke on the boat the entire time. At a time where I was trying to enjoy the fresh air of the great ocean, and just came up for "normal air" ... cigarette smoke in my face the entire time was a damper.

Great instruction, Great value, Highly recommend! Ask for Zack!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I chose Simple life divers randomly and don't regret. It was great experience in diving, very welcoming staff. Instructor Baden took care of every student, was very helpful, responsive and easy going, laid back and encouraging. Price is just regular, though value is good for the price. Though I would be more happy if we would dive different diving sites every time and go other side of the island as well.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I did my open water course with simple life divers in Koh Tao and it turned out great. I almost gave up mid way since I actually had a panic attack on my second dive. However, I had the best intructor I could ever have - Ariella! She is fun, smart, safe and has this ability to make everyone around her feel good. The way that she taught and guided all of us was commendable. In 2 days I felt like I gained a friend that I could trust my life with.

And now I'm certified for
the open water! Considering that a couple of days ago I was hyperventilating in the sea and being towed back to the boat this is pretty awesome! I probably couldn't have completed the course with anyone else. So if you guys want to dive but you're scared, uncertain and/or don't think you can do it - I'm sure Ariella from Simple life divers can help you explore the underwater world really well!