“A well run shop with enthusiastic and professional staff.”

Goodtime Adventures, Koh Tao
Ranked #12 of 102 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: SCUBA diving, Rock Climbing, Abseiling, Cliff Jumping, Hiking, Trapeze, Boat Cruises, UV night diving and snorkelling and Watersports - all under the same roof! Looking for some serious fun? Then Goodtime Adventures is for you! A one-stop-shop for adventure on Koh Tao, we are the only SCUBA dive centre that operates speedboat diving right off the beach. We offer instruction from try dives to pro level through both SSI and PADI, with maximum group sizes of four to ensure your comfort and safety. We are also the only Rock Climbing school in the Gulf of Thailand providing introductions, courses, beta and equipment hire. As well as single activity courses, we offer adventure combination tours with a range of our fun-filled activities all packed into half and full day itineraries. On location is the Goodtime Beach cafe and bar, offering western, Thai and Burmese cuisine, weekly BBQ's, film nights, quiz nights, curry nights, slack lining and sunset specials. Also on site is the Goodtime Beach Hostel offering a range of accommodation from luxury private AC rooms with beachfront balcony to AC dormitories.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 7, 2012

A well run shop with enthusiastic and professional staff.

We have been diving Thailand for over 17 years and on each successive trip to Koh Tao have witnessed a change from people centered dive shops to mass production dive cert factories. GTA offer a glimpse of how things used to be back in the day when the customer really mattered and diving turtle island was about the quality of the customer’s experience rather than simply selling dive trips. We have tried several different companies on Koh Tao over the years and these guys beat the others hands down. There is no substitute for competent, high quality staff that are committed to ensuring customers are treated as individuals.

I must start by saying that our boys ( 11 and 8) loved the cliff jump and shark snorkeling, they have not stopped talking about it since.

My oldest is limited to 12M as a J.O.W which can make multiple dives a little repetitive, but not an issue at all this week. Hats off to Sara who went out of her way to make sure Michael’s dives were both adventurous and memorable.

Koh Tao’s most popular dive sites are becoming very congested. GTA’s use of a purpose built twin engine speedboat allowed us this week to have dive sites almost to ourselves. This boat eliminates the longer trips on slow, impersonal and overcrowded boats that we have experienced in the past. We enjoyed travelling as a smaller group as there is a lot less messing around waiting for other groups of divers to get on or off the boat or wait out surface intervals. Experienced divers with a lower tolerance for big-boat surface nonsense will really appreciate this.

You should try this shop before jumping on a boat with one of the other companies where even your instructor struggles to remember your name and you are getting in the water with more people than fish. For me, diving with one of the big companies on Koh Tao is like travelling to Rome and not eating Italian food… you are there but you really are missing an important part of the experience.

Thanks to the whole team… The birthday cake and private shark hunt for Sean’s 8th birthday was a particular high point of the week and was both thoughtful and memorable. We will be back again.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The crew at Good Times will ensure that you have just that. They are a very fun and professional team with many options of exciting things to do to fill your time on the island. Also don't miss their restaurant, with delicious and healthy food.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Had a great time, Hiking...Boulder Jumping and Snorkelling. This is an awesome tour that gives you a really great idea of the island, burns off a few changs and shows you the best of what Koh Tao has to offer. Great stuff. rob nassif

Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Rob and Bree, thanks very much for your review, I also had a great time with you guys, it was a nice day with a small group and a lot of fun. Also happy you came along to our party the night after and enjoyed yourselves. We are glad you had a great time on Tao and hope that you will come back again. In the meantime enjoy your new venture in New York.

Cheers,
Tim

Reviewed June 3, 2012

The open water course we did with Good Times Adventures was great! Small class (just three, they say a maximum of four students per class), great instructor that takes the time to teach you how to become a adequate and safe diver. You learn to dive responsible, it is your own live where you're responsible for, so be carefully with it! They have their own speedboat which takes you to your training/dive site. Classes starts at 09u, other diving schools we saw on Ko Tao started at 07 with a big packed slow boat. Instructions where given on their site with a drink and a bite, just easy way to learn. If you go diving or teaching how to dive we'll sertainly advise to go with GTA! They take all the time you need to learn in a small group, own speedboat (great boat trip every time), highly experienced staff, which are also very friendly and always in for a laugh.

Charly S, Manager at Goodtime Adventures, Koh Tao, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thanks for the great review Rob,
small groups, fast boat,uncrowded dive sites & of course the late starts all help to make your diving experience with us a memory to be remembered.
Hope you continue diving & have a lot more enjoyable adventures.
See you again if you vist Koh Tao again
Thanks again for the great review

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Learning to dive can be quite scary. I was certainly terrified.

I did my open water referral in London and then planned to complete it out in Phuket. But I had a terrible experience there. On my first dive my weights fell off somewhere between getting in the water and descending. I didn't notice and nor did my instructor. Needless to say I had a difficult first dive, after which I really didn't want to get back in the water.

But my girlfriend, a diving enthusiast, was adamant that with the right instructor I could enjoy diving. She took me to Koh Tao to dive with one of her old instructors – Linzi at Goodtime Adventures – and it turns out she was right. Now I'm a diving addict.

Linzi was an amazing instructor and with her help I not only completed my open water but I did my advanced course and a nitrox course too. In total we did eight dives and if we hadn't had to leave Koh Tao I would have done more. A lot more.

There are so many dive shops in Koh Tao so why choose Goodtime?

« The whole experience of diving with them is great fun. The vibe in the shop itself is really friendly and chilled out, they serve excellent food and drinks, and they have a great spot on the beach.

« They have their own speedboat, which means that you go out in really small groups, the boat rides to sites are super quick and you generally get to the sites before or after other shops meaning you have it all to yourselves.

« Everyone is really on it with safety. The first buddy check I did on my girlfriend I somehow managed to turn her air off. Luckily Rob, the captain of the boat, checked it before he let her dive in. He was also really great helping us gear up on what was sometimes rocky water and he never tired of having to help me into my fins.

« The instructors are EXCELLENT. Linzi was so enthusiastic about diving that it was infectious. She knew the dive sites really well and she was like an underwater tour guide, finding the most interesting creatures and corals and pointing them out. I wouldn't have seen or noticed half the things I did if she hadn't been there.

She was a great teacher and went through everything really thoroughly, she was
understanding when I found skills difficult and had the patience of a saint when it came to my doing mask removal.

But most importantly, I couldn't have felt more safe diving with Linzi. I had so much confidence in her, I would literally send my firstborn child out to learn to dive with her.

There are a million dive shops on Koh Tao, but if you want to make the most of your time on the island, get the most out of the amazing dive sites and hang out with a group of really great people then there really is only one choice. Goodtime Adventures.

1  Thank Helen W
Charly S, Manager at Goodtime Adventures, Koh Tao, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Hi Helen. Thanks for such a thorough and thoughtful review. We are very happy that you overcame your fears and became a dive addict with us. I agree completely that it can be intimidating, especially if you've had bad experiences in the past. However Linzi was extremely happy with your courses and progress up to advanced nitrox diver - make sure you keep us posted on when she needs to be available for that junior Open Water in the future! You and Hannah were great fun to have around on the surface after diving too, and we couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your time here so much. Hopefully we will see you back on Koh Tao for some more fun and adventures in the future.