“Got a new family on Koh Tao”
Review of Big Blue Diving

Big Blue Diving
Ranked #30 of 104 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of Koh Tao's longest established Dive Centers offering a full range of Scuba Diving Courses from Open Water to Scuba Instructor. Also specialists in Freediving, Technical Diving, Instructor Training & professional Underwater Videography and able to teach in all major languages & all courses including PADI, SSI, BSAC & TDI. Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao also offers FREE accommodation on days spent diving in shared AC dorms making it the most affordable dive center in the world! While also offering private AC bungalows on the beach as well as basic old skool style backpacker bungalows on the beach for those who'd rather pay a little extra for privacy. Awarded numerous prizes from all diving organisations & travel agencies & websites Big Blue Diving is everyones favourite dive center.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Adventure started in Bangkok when I went in the big blue office on koh San rd. I spoke to a wonderful Thai woman called Lin who was so helpful. She then booked me up to head to koh Tao. She also helped a friend of mine sort transport for other places too so very helpful.

The guys down at big blue are very cool. Almost makes you want to go get a tattoo and a Mohawk (the Thai guys are always cutting each other hair at big blue so you maybe able to request one on site)

For my open water course I had Rich who is one cool guy who clearly loves what he's doing and is always wanting to help. Aswell as teaching me about diving he also taught me how to do a gainer (running backflip) off a boat. So don't expect just to learn how to dive on this trip.

For my advanced which I originally didn't plan to do but loved it here at big blue so much I stayed on I had Kevin. (Ask Kevin how to say aluminium, really funny if you're English as he is American) Kevin was awesome. He took us on our night dive and his bright blue and purple shorts were easy to spot amongst the hunting barracudas and turtles we saw. Again you could see Kevin like rich really loves what he does and wants to help you any way he can.

To be honest I'm pretty sure that all the instructors are amazing at big blue. But with rich and Kevin you can expect to do some stupid stuff like doing a horse and jockey race at 15metres with your buddy, read again if you didn't believe me.

If you want to know anything about diving or koh Tao or anything really about travelling. Don't use lonely planet or rough guides. These guys know everything and its not what you know it's who you know.

Really enjoyed my time at big blue and iv made some really good friends here who I hope to meet again. Maybe at 30metres.

Peace

Write a ReviewReviews (3,103)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"learn how"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I came to Koh Tao for an open water diving course and mainly because of the lonely planet decided to go here. The vibe of the resort and on the boats is really great and the instructors are very good at what they do. My instructor was Rich and he was really good at getting the most fun out of every dive. I ended up staying two days longer to do my advanced aswell and have no regrets. Especially the night dive was great fun (got to see a turtle swim right over us).

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I just completed my SSI Open Water and Advanced courses with Big Blue and had an amazing time. Thanks to my instructors Martijn, Ant (2), and Tosh. All three were great - really knowledgeable, experienced, and fun.

Big Blue is definitely a big dive school, but that didn't detract from my experience in the slightest. I had a bit of a panic attack on the night dive of my Advanced course when my mask slipped off my head during the descent. Although Ant handled the situation extremely well, I was too freaked out to continue the dive and developed something of a mask phobia. So Ant arranged for me to dive one-on-one with Martijn, my Open Water instructor, to practice some mask skills. Martijn was great at making me feel comfortable and helping me get over my fear. I did another night dive for fun that same night.

My instructors at Big Blue cared that I learned the requisite skills to truly enjoy and want to continue diving. They didn't just slap me with a certification and send me on my way. I can't imagine having a better experience with another dive school. Thanks, Big Blue!

1  Thank Sisi W
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I always promised myself never to visit the same place more than once... this was my third time in Koh Tao and third time at Big Blue diving.. kind of says it all.

After last year's visits I was inspired by amazing Divemasters - Steven, Darren and Regi to attempt to become a DM myself and in June I arrived.

First off I decided to complete the Eco Internship with Swan and Jen, this involved a month of all things eco from lectures to reef surveys to beach clean ups, Jen was extremely knowledgeable and lead us through the course successfully.Swan was fab and gave up her own time to accompany us on many many dives, and even allowed us to turn her into a Jellyfish, for conservation of course!

A prerequisite to the DMT is the Rescue Course... having heard a million and one horror stories about 'hell dives' and the rest I was beyond nervous about completing this course. Fortunately my instructor was Tim Morrish, he knew I was uneasy about the course and basically a bag of nerves, his calm nature and brilliant teaching enabled me to not only successfully complete the course but also gain so much confidence in my own diving, know I could deal with an emergency should one arise and feel ready to begin my DMT

Next was my DMT...
Despite the daunting prospect of 'day one' I was instantly put at ease by DM Nick Tringham, he showed me the ropes and explained everything I needed to know about boats, equipment and divesites, a fantastic, knowledgable DM who I am fortunate enough to have been able to dive with and call upon for help with all things Divemastery throughout my 3 month stay.

The Divemaster team at BB are phenomenal. I was lucky enough to dive with Steven, Pia, Darren, Nick, Carly and Phil during my time at BB, with Steven being my inspirational DM mentor.

As part of the DMT program I had to assist courses, something I wasn't looking forward to doing, to me diving was all about exploring the reefs and what they had to offer. However I was proven wrong, my first (second and third!!) assist was with Rich Todd, not only did he offer excellent tuition to his students but also acted as an amazing support and inspiration to me as a DMT making me feel comfortable and confident during my course assists, I'm not entirely sure why he's not a DMT mentor yet, but he really should be, a definitely credit to the Big Blue team!
Further along my DMT journey I got to assist Steve-O and Chris C, both lovely offering a friendly, welcoming smile, plenty of wisdom and excellent teaching methods as well as clear feedback for DMTs :)

During my course I decided to take on the Deep, Wreck and Nitrox with Big Blue Tech, although I have reviewed them on BB Tech tripadvisor, I can't neglect to mention them here too. Experts in all things diving and a pleasure to dive with :)

Massive thank you to the instructor mentors - Guy, Simo, Iain, G, Tosh and Nick for all of their support, guidance and lots of laughs (Guy!!) throughout the course.

Was gutted to leave the Big Blue family two days ago, now to plan visit number 4... :) xx