Open today: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Vanessa D
Vancouver, Canada
via mobile

2,753 results
All reviews open water course fun dives free accommodation advanced adventurer course night dive amazing experience air con my boyfriend dive course great instructor made us feel marine life laid back sairee beach recommend this place whale sharks learn how
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

I went for a trip to Sail Rock with Big Blue Diving. I was so disappointed! They were the only company I could find who organised trip to Sail Rock that week. I though it is becasue mayne there is not enough tourists so others do not make it there at this time. The trip was much more expensive than usual price to Sail Rock. And visibility was around 2-4 meters. I saw 2 literally fishes at Sail Rock, I hardly could see fins of the person i was following. Very disappointed. I understamd they cannot control the weather but other centers somehow knew not to organise trips at.this time and the diving guide admitted they did the same thing last year, which they shouldnt do. We still paid full price 3800 baht per person to see nothing. Waste of money and time.

Reviewed 2 days ago

I did my open water certification at Big Blue and I loved it! The place, the food, the dorm (which was free), were all awesome! Everyone was so nice, especially Rudy, my instructor. He was very patient, professional and funny. I want to go back and do my advanced now. Highly recommend this place!

BigBlueRep, General Manager at Big Blue Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Hello Laura, thanks for the review.

Firstly congratulations on the successful completion of your Open Water licence with Rudy, it's a great course and a wonderful introduction to the world of scuba diving at a very cheap rate too...and when you take advantage of the room/diving discount it makes it even cheaper!

Having the right instructor is essential in creating a new diver who is going to keep on diving, for the rest of their lives. They must be patient, professional, knowledgeable, entertaining and also in LOVE with scuba diving themselves - this way it makes it much easier to inspire their students. Rudy is a great example of all these qualities, and a few more too!

Come back to see us again one day Laura, it was a pleasure having you here.

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

I did my open water diving with Big Blue (my instructor was Neil) and it was amazing! There were 3 of us in the group, and we had 2 instructors, great ratio. They made the theory part fun and quick, but made sure everyone understood.
The pool day was great. Neil did a fantastic job taking us through each of the skills and making sure we were proficient at it before moving on, even taking time on his lunch break to work on swimming with fins for whoever wanted/needed it. The boats were nice and big, didn’t feel cramped even with 2-3 other groups on board.
The dive sites were really nice, and when we went in for the first time, Neil was great and making sure we were all on the same page and comfortable.

Would definitely recommend Big Blue to whoever wants to get certified, the only thing I regret is not being on Koh Tao longer to do my Advanced course!

BigBlueRep, General Manager at Big Blue Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 3 days ago

Hi Vanessa, thanks so much for the excellent review and congratulations on becoming our latest Open Water diver!

The importance of the training pool for our new divers is something that a lot of people don't really think about when searching for a dive centre in which to complete their diving licence. A lot of people think it'll be better to immediately go into the ocean to practice for the first time with all the new equipment, after all an extra day in the sea can only be beneficial...or is it?

From personal experience, being told to jump into the sea with equipment that you've never worn in your life can be a little off-putting. To then have to deal with possible underwater currents, visibility issues, swimmers, boats...well it's not the ideal way for a nervous diver to get to grips with the 20+ skills we must learn with all this equipment, i can tell you. The beauty of the training pool is that there's never current, poor visibility, or even the apprehension of having to throw yourself immediately into the sea - a simple step into a shallow pool is all you need, after which the instructor can ensure that you're comfortable and confident with all this new stuff BEFORE we get into the ocean!

We'll pass on your thanks to your instructors Vanessa, and thanks again for leaving the review.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

I had heard various opinions before I went to find out myself... from "great place" to "mass education"! Yes, there were a lot of customers and a lot of courses, but I could not find anything bad about that. In fact, quite the opposite:
Thanks to a big staff group and big facilities as well as big and comfortable boats, they are well able to handle a large number of divers. So, for me it is rather a sign of a lot of experience.

I spent two weeks doing my instructor training course and had a good time:
fun and experienced staff, good facilities, nicely located on the beach with easy boat access, own training pool, tasty beach restaurant and bar... Strong recommendation!

And after all, Big Blue also offers e.g. Tech Diving, so something for all kinds of interests!

Hello Sebastian, and thank you for the latest 5 star review to wash up on our shores!

I've heard on more than a few occasions that Big Blue is 'too big', and to be honest it's mostly from people who've never actually been diving with us. On first glance it can appear that way, but with 4 boats all doing different types of diving (tech/freediving, fundiving, Japanese-only (!) and a dedicated beginner-only boat) it's usually only the resort that is busy, with the boats going out at around half their capacity if that. A few years ago it was a different story of course, but with tourist visitors to Koh Tao dropping quite a bit the island is starting to resemble what is was like 20 years ago in regards to how full it now is - i would certainly no longer regard it as 'a busy island', and we're really enjoying the relative peace and quiet here on Sairee Beach!

Luckily for us, as we have a resort with facilities that can handle a lot of divers at once (as you mentioned) we have now found ourselves with a lot of space in classrooms, the pool and on the boats! We know how fortunate we are to have such a great location on the cleanest and quietest part of North Sairee, and the sunsets alone are worth paying us a visit again and again.

So I hope we'll see you soon Sebastian! It's been a pleasure having you around the last few weeks, and good luck with your new career in scuba diving.

Thanks again for the review,

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

You're on a trip and you want to fulfill an experience. So yes you'll go to magical place "Big Blue" on the other side of the beach and not near the pier. On the reception u say hello with smile and ask for Sonia...This's the moment when your trip really begins (:

BigBlueRep, General Manager at Big Blue Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello Haim, and thanks for the review - I really love it, it's very poetic!

Sonia's a top dive instructor, and her students never fail to finish their diving with her full of the joys of life, love and scuba. She easily inspires her students to want to keep diving forever, and also places a lot of extra attention on how to become a safe, competent and independent diver - the sign of a great instructor.

I hope you'll pay us a visit again one day, we love the happy souls!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Last year I done my open water and advanced adventurer course, I loved it so much I come back this year and done my dive masters course. The staff are amazing make you feel like family and are so knowledgeable and skilled. Absolutely amazing place. It is sad to leave but can't wait to come back.

Hello and thank you for the review!

There aren't many of our divers that leave us without having had a blast, and with plans to return again in the near future. Diving is very addictive anyway, but to do it at a place as remarkable as Big Blue (with staff so magnificent they positively sparkle!) almost guarantees that you'll be back for more...and more...and eventually like in your case leave us as a fully-fledged dive professional! As you said the atmosphere at the resort is like one big family, and as one of the medium sized dive centres on the island you can be sure there's always new friends to be made and people to hang around with after the dives that aren't just the people working there.

We'll see you again soon I hope, and congratulations on becoming our latest Divemaster.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The best diving school in Koh Tao
The best instructors, the best team to dive with!
My second time here and i will come again!

Hi, thanks so much for the kind remarks!

All of our instructors have been put through a very long and intense training program whilst turning professional here at Big Blue, after which they must then shadow a senior member of staff untill we can see that they're working to a higher standard that is expected by most dive centres in the world - 'The Big Blue Way', as we like to call it. We don't want just the bare minimum from them, and we expect every instructor to do what's required plus a whole lot more too - it's because of this fact that we enjoy such a stellar reputation for delivering high quality courses at low prices, every day of the year. The staff really make the course memorable for the student, and without the right team in place i'm sure we'd be just another run-of-the-mill dive centre here on Koh Tao...an awful thought!

I'm happy you enjoyed yourself with us, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thanks once more,

Reviewed 1 week ago

Great experience, we did our open water dive course from here. Friendly instructors and they teach you really well. Had an amazing experience, went for 4 dives in 2 days. We saw Whale Shark as well. marine life is just beautiful in Koh Tao.

Hi Rohini, thank you for the review and congratulations on successfully completing your Open Water licence with us!

To dive with a whaleshark is something that all scuba divers dream of, these endangered creatures are not commonly seen aorund the world but here on Koh Tao we're very lucky to have regular sightings. Seeing one during your Open Water course is spoiling you a bit however, so I hope you realise just how fortunate you were, and kudos to your instructor for a having you guys in the right place, at the right time.

Next time you'e in Thailand you should come and say 'hello', don't forget you get a nice discount on your future dives with us too!

Thanks again for the review, and keep on diving

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I just got my open water certification here this past week, and wish so badly I had time to stay longer. The facilities and equipment were fantastic, located in a beautiful place, and every staff member was beyond friendly and helpful. Our instructor, SJ, was not only loads of fun, but also very good at teaching in understandable terms, and most importantly, took our diving training very seriously. I cannot recommend Big Blue highly enough.

Hello David, thanks for the review and well done for becoming an Open Water diver!

When choosing to dive here on Koh Tao, people are faced with 2 types of dive centre; those based on the streets of the small villages of Sairee, Mae Haad and Chalok, or those located right there on the beachfront. Now it does usually cost a little more to choose the ones with the beachfront location, and so it should - it's one hell of a bonus to be able to learn how to dive with the ocean seconds away, the noise of the waves breaking gently on the beach and the post-dive sunsets that are impossible to forget! We're thankful every single day that we get to enjoy such beauty, and it shows when looking through our thousands of reviews that our visitors are having the time of their lives too.

We'll pass on your remarks to SJ, he's always really happy to read them as it takes his mind of his 1km long nose for a brief moment.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I decided to leave France for 1 year or more travelling the world. I had come to Koh Tao 3 times in the past and had done all my diving education at Big Blue Diving.

Each of those times had been amazing, whether it was the courses with caring and patient instructors, or fun dives with dynamic and knowledgeable divemasters.

Knowing the high standards of the school, I decided to do my divemaster-in-training program. The mentors have been amazing and helped me reach the next level very quickly. In addition to the "clinics" and theory parts, the possibility to do unlimited free fun dives and to use the boats whenever you want was a huge bonus!

I also did some tech and eco courses that completed my experience. Nitrox, solo spec, shark ecology, unvisited divesites or unusual times help you enjoy the underwater world in the best conditions. What was supposed to be a two month step in my travels has become an unlimited stay on a paradise island.

Each time you see a whaleshark, it makes you want to protect the environment. Beach and divesite clean-ups are organized monthly at Big Blue. The dive center participates in artificial reefs projects, and monitoring of sharks and turtles population around the island.

Big blue is a big dive center with all the infrastructure you need, whether you dive for fun, want to become professional, care about the environment or want to do tech. Staff is highly experienced and friendly. The restaurant on the beach is amazing for its gorgeous sunsets and offers thai or western food. Big Blue simply changed my life for the best. Thank you everyone !

BigBlueRep, General Manager at Big Blue Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Romain, thanks for reviewing your DMT (divemaster training) with the team here at Big Blue!

We're firm believers that the divemaster training we're providing our lucky divers is unrivalled here in Thailand. With 4 boats exploring over 20 dive sites on a daily basis the DMs are really learning every part of underwater Koh Tao rather than the handful the smaller dive centers are limited to (having only one boat means they always have to go to places suitable for the first time divers, which gets a bit dull after a few weeks). I know when i signed up for my DMT I chose Big Blue exactly because of that reason - i wanted to be the master of EVERY site. Of course the unlimited free diving for life helped sway me quite a bit, and the beachfront location, friendly staff, strict adherence to safety protocols...i could go on but you're already a believer!

It was a pleasure having you diving and learning together with us over the years Romain, and I wish you every success in your new diving career away from Koh Tao.