“Welcoming Dive Shop with Excellent Dive Instructors”
Review of Big Blue Diving

Big Blue Diving
Ranked #34 of 104 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of Koh Tao's longest established Dive Centers offering a full range of Scuba Diving Courses from Open Water to Scuba Instructor. Also specialists in Freediving, Technical Diving, Instructor Training & professional Underwater Videography and able to teach in all major languages & all courses including PADI, SSI, BSAC & TDI. Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao also offers FREE accommodation on days spent diving in shared AC dorms making it the most affordable dive center in the world! While also offering private AC bungalows on the beach as well as basic old skool style backpacker bungalows on the beach for those who'd rather pay a little extra for privacy. Awarded numerous prizes from all diving organisations & travel agencies & websites Big Blue Diving is everyones favourite dive center.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed June 29, 2013

From the moment we wondered into Big Blue (on a word of mouth recommendation during the ferry from Koh Samui) we felt at home and at ease. The front desk accomadations worked hard to find us a room during a sold out weekend and got us into the open water diving course immediately. From the beginning, our instructor, Kyle, was easy going, insightful, knowledgeable, and willing to work with all comfort levels.

Kyle guided us through the open water course from beginnng to end taking time to assist each group member as needed. The pace of the course was perfect, and we feel prepared to take on further dives in and outside of Koh Tao. All the instructers seemed great at Big Blue, but if you do choose to dive with them definitely request Kyle as your instructor!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,934)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"big thanks"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Arrived in Koh Tao unsure if we were going diving due to lack of funds, but ended up being swayed by the friendly staff at Big Blue into doing Open Water 4 day course.

Little Ant (aka Roofus Hound)

Little Ant was our instructor, he was very professional, knowledgable, passionate and a very good teacher. Felt in safe hands the whole time. Probably the best instructor in Big Blue.

Other positives:
- small group sizes
- nice biscuits on boat
- everyone very easy going
- cracking location
- big bar man at Big Blue 2 is an absolute legend
- good rooms
- cheaper than the other places we looked, although all courses are about 9000 baht

Only negative is the price of the DVD at the end, but overall we loved it and will be coming back.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I came to koh Tao with a friend as we'd heard all about the diving! On arrival we didn't really know which company was best! We had a couple of recommendations from people on the boat on the way for Big Blue and thought we'd go for it!! As we were both beginners we were a little nervous but there's no need!! Our instructor G was just incredible!! She taught us everything we needed to know and more and the diving experience we had was just top! If you're looking for an amazing diving experience I'd look no further than Big Blue and G!!! Amazing time, want to do it all again! TEAM G!!!!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I came to Big Blue with a friend but had to pull out of the pool sesh 1st time around - I panicked, couldn't get the mask skill and my ears weren't equalising properly. I was so upset but my instructors, John Huntington and Donnie were so so supportive and inspiring. John told me to go away, relax and come back in a couple of weeks when I was back in Koh Tao, and he promised he'd get me through it, so I did. And I have never been so happy!! John is an absolute legend and an inspiring instructor, he took me through the rest of the academics and we sailed through the pool sesh but he made sure I was super confident, even taking me to the shore on my first dive to make sure I was ready before going under! He devoted his time one on one and I am proud to say I am now an open-water diver, I even booked my advanced with John I loved it so much. I was so scared at the beginning and now I love it. Thank u John and a big shout out to Nick who helped me with my mask issue too! Big Blue is an awesome place to learn to dive, I'm even considering coming back later this year to go further in the diving world. The accommodation is great, especially as it's free when u dive, the restaurant is awesome and the instructors are world class! I would totally recommend diving with them! U even get to buy a video of ur final 2 dives as a great memory of ur time here! (and try to get John, he's awesome!) Love u dude!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

There are sooo many dive schools to choose from on Koh Toa we really struggled to pick without knowing anything about them really but as soon as we saw the trip advisor results we decided to stay here. It was a really good decision. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm which yes wasn't the most amazing 5* accom we have ever had but we are in Thailand and it was free?! Also our dive instructor Steveo was amazing he was so patient and was really proud of us when we mastered a skill under water which was really nice. He helped us whenever we needed it and stayed around on an evening for drinks and we all went out for a meal. The course made me feel really safe for when we did our first dive on the OW course and it was amazing! The sites that they take you too are absolutely spectacular and the fish and sealife is amazing. Sometimes the visability isnt amazing but they tried to change to the sites that were the best. We have nothing to complain about and we stayed on to do the advanced course too we enjoyed itthat much. Big love to steveo he was amazing and really made me feel safe when I was nervous. Thankyou Big Blue!!