“Awesome!”

Big Blue Diving
Ranked #34 of 104 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of Koh Tao's longest established Dive Centers offering a full range of Scuba Diving Courses from Open Water to Scuba Instructor. Also specialists in Freediving, Technical Diving, Instructor Training & professional Underwater Videography and able to teach in all major languages & all courses including PADI, SSI, BSAC & TDI. Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao also offers FREE accommodation on days spent diving in shared AC dorms making it the most affordable dive center in the world! While also offering private AC bungalows on the beach as well as basic old skool style backpacker bungalows on the beach for those who'd rather pay a little extra for privacy. Awarded numerous prizes from all diving organisations & travel agencies & websites Big Blue Diving is everyones favourite dive center.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Couldnt recommend Big blue and our dive instructor Guy (and Petra) more highly!
The instructors were so helpful and put both me and my ELASTIC boyfriend at ease!
Initially signed up for our SSI open water, but we were hooked, and everyone in our awesome dive group signed up for advanced, and it was worth every penny!
For those of you in our group reading this.... TDP player!!!!!!

_)_)==D~ just for you Guy

1  Thank Adele2404
Write a ReviewReviews (2,933)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"big thanks"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Heading to Thailand my boyfriend and I knew we definitely wanted to get our open water in Koh Tao. There are so many choices. After reading reviews and lonely planet we decided to go with big blue and it did not disappoint.

Everything was easy with big blue from the moment we booked. We were picked up from the ferry and driven to the resort. Checked in within minutes and received great accomadations. We decuded to upgrade to a private room rather than the free accomadations.

Our open water course was great. Student to inscturctor ratio was the perfect number. One instructor and dive master trainee for 6 students. Our instructor was Tosh who was a blast and always had a joke to tell. He was incredibly experienced and passionate about diving. I had a bit of an issue with taking my mask off while diving and panicked but Tosh was able to calm me down and help me get through it.

Our entire open water class signed up to do our advanced. We got to stay together as a group and keep Tosh as our insctructor.

My boyfriend and I left Big Blue to move onto other parts of Thailand only to return 3 days later to continue diving. We didn't have enough time to do any specialty courses so we did a few fun dives. We did a full day dive which is worth every penny. 3 dives, breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks for a great price with a knowledable dive master.

I highly recommend big blue. If you want a place with knowledable, passionate people, great location and great atmosphere it will not disappoint!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my time at big blue. The rooms were pretty decent (clean, cute balcony) and they are a great location in Koh Tao. I really liked all the diving instructors we came into contact with, they are friendly and professional yet lighthearted and fun. From what I heard, Big Blue is "the place" to dive Koh Tao, and I can see why. They have a HUGE variety of different dives they do on a daily basis- esentially it seems there is something for every level and interest of diver. The restaurant is really great, too.They also communicate in a timely manner via e-mail, which is really appreciated when trying to plan your trip. I wouldn't even look twice when booking my next diving trip to Koh Tao, Big Blue would be a no-brainer.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

A friend and I came to Koh Tao with our first place to ask for accommodation and diving being Big Blue. We were both already certified OWDs so we were looking for fun dives only.
To be fair, I guess Big Blue is a nice place to stay if you are doing any sort of course with them, but if not their interest in you diminishes somewhat fast and personally we got the feeling to be more of a burden (especially to the office staff). The prices for the fun dives are higher than at other places (the main reason for us to switch to a different place after the first day) and the free/discounted accommodation is mostly for course participants only. Even when there are free rooms they hardly give them away to fun divers, but recommend you to stay in the resort next door and come again day by day to ask if it suits them to give you a room. We had no luck with that...
The dive boats are pretty full especially for the afternoon dives, but the dives were still okay. Our divemaster was really friendly and not at all arrogant and self-absorbed (like a lot of the other divemasters I talked to on Koh Tao).

See more reviews
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I arrived in Thailand with one thing on my mind: Go scuba diving!! I hadn't picked out any location but heard that Koh Tao was a must for diving in Thailand. So I got to Koh Tao, opened up my lonely planet guide and went directly to Big Blue Diving and I was not disapointed! I was initially supposed to stay for 3-4 days and ended up staying for 1.5 weeks!

Diving: diving with big blue is a really fun and safe experience. Every fun diver is assigned to a divemaster that knows the area and guides the divers through the dives. For each dive, the divemaster gives a breefing that goes through the diving signals, safety rules, map of divesite and what is interesting to see at each divesite. The divemasters are very professionnal, make sure that fun divers feel safe and all that while making sure that the experience is both relax and fun! The diving schedules are very flexible with morning, afternoon and night sessions. The prices for fun diving are really good and they also add a discount incremental to the number of dives done. Going to the full day trip to Sail Rock is also a must!

Accomodation: I stayed at big blue 1 in a 6 bedroom dorm and I honestly could not complain. The room was clean and decent for the price charged (which was 0 for days that I was diving)! The Big Blue Diving Resort also has a nice restaurant and bar after diving with a relaxed and cool atmosphere!! Big blue is centrally located in Sairee Beach (with a beachfront), making it a very good location to lodge on Koh Tao!

Staff: As I previously said, the staff was very welcoming, professionnal and making sure that I had a good experience. At my arrival, a divemaster welcomed me at the resort, made the time to talk to me about what were my needs and expectations for my stay. So, despite the fact that there is a lot of person that do dive and stay at big blue, I was pleasantly surprised at how the service is personnalized! They were very helpful whenever I had a question.

So overall, an excellent experience at Big Blue Diving! I will recommend Big Blue to all my friends that are planning to go diving in Koh Tao! I will definitely go back when I'm in the area!

A special thanks to the DMs that made my diving at Big Blue a memorable experience: Steven,Darren, Carly, Sophia, Christine, Angel, Bobby and all the staff at Big Blue!