“Great times with great memories!”
Review of Big Blue Diving

Big Blue Diving
Ranked #7 of 100 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of Koh Tao's longest established Dive Centers offering a full range of Scuba Diving Courses from Open Water to Scuba Instructor. Also specialists in Freediving, Technical Diving, Instructor Training & professional Underwater Videography and able to teach in all major languages & all courses including PADI, SSI, BSAC & TDI. Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao also offers FREE accommodation on days spent diving in shared AC dorms making it the most affordable dive center in the world! While also offering private AC bungalows on the beach as well as basic old skool style backpacker bungalows on the beach for those who'd rather pay a little extra for privacy. Awarded numerous prizes from all diving organisations & travel agencies & websites Big Blue Diving is everyones favourite dive center.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Big Blue has an excellent reputation and rightly so. Our instructor Ben struck a perfect balance between being proper jokes and very professional as the situation dictates. As one of the larger diving schools on the Island it had a wider variety of accommodation and courses to suit all needs. Would definitely recommend and return to Big Blue again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,814)

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having been on Koh Tao for about five months and diving with Big Blue during the entire time, I've finally decided to write a review after reading a (horse s**t) review by a fellow called Peter W. I can't say what happened with this guy but I find it hard to believe his information is accurate or even truthful, let alone fair and justifiable.
The staff, from the front office to the divemasters and instructors, and even the restaurant and bar, have all been nothing short of amazingly courteous and professional.
I came here originally with the intent to do my Open Water certificate, which I completed under Ant's tutelage. I should point out here that I am completely deaf and despite this Ant has been unerringly easy-going and humorous and yet obviously knows what he's doing (having done more than a few thousand dives, he would). After I completed my OW, I decided I needed more and so went on to do my Advanced Open Water, also under Ant's guidance. Even then, it wasn't enough and I went on to complete my specialties in Deep Diving, Nitrox, and Wreck.
You'd think by this point I had had enough, but no – I undertook the Rescue Diver course, this time under another consummate professional named Guy, who clearly knew what he was doing and answered every question, no matter how mundane, with the same professionalism, courtesy and humour that Ant has shown.
And guess what? All these courses were done under PADI. So I don't know what Peter was on, but PADI courses are definitely offered at all levels (except instructor's, I think, but you'll need to clarify this with one of the extremely friendly staff at the office).
Yes there are small differences in prices and the way training is conducted when it comes to PADI and SSI, but in the end the already very high quality of training remains the same and the licences are equally valid worldwide. Have a chat with the staff there, talk to an instructor (one of them will always have time for you) and see for yourself.
I'm still diving with Big Blue as I am now a divemaster in training (in SSI, but not because of quality differences!), and have also started an internship with Big Blue Tech (a subsidiary of Big Blue specialising in technical diving) and I enjoy each and every single dive, reacreational or technical, without exception.
I can't speak for other dive schools but Big Blue is obviously at the top of their game, still in their prime and in no way failing to meet expectations. Again, as I said, have a chat with them and make your own mind up.
I do not work for Big Blue or get a discount for writing this; I'm doing this of my own volition as a paying customer as I was just astounded by the recent negative review, which in my view is completely unjustifiable and unrealistic.
Dive with Big Blue – you won't (and can't) regret it!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Had an amazing time at Big Blue doing my Open Water and Advanced. Donny and Rick were great instructors and made it a lot of fun. Got the diving bug now and can't wait to go back!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went to Koh Tao without any expectations, just the wish to learn diving. And it was the best decision to do it at BIG BLUE! All of the instructors were really nice and friendly, but i am quite sure that we had the best instructor ever! Iain Goodfellow :)
English is not my mother tongue, so I struggled a little with all the complicated diving vocabulary.. but somehow Iain was really patient and he always found a way to explain things.
You just see that he loves what he is doing and that he loves to show as many people as possible how amazing it actually is !
Everybody in our group decided to do the advanced course as well, of course with Iain, so that's how much we enjoyed diving with big blue :)
oh... and I think Iain brings luck, we saw the whaleshark 3 times!!!!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We weren't sure if we were going to dive at all on Koh Tao and made a last minute decision to go with Big Blue - this resort was the perfect balance of amazing dive instruction (thanks to the most hilarious and amazing instructor, Billy), a chill atmosphere and the most fun social vibe after the sun goes down. We will most definitely be back!!