“Paradise on Paradise”
Review of la Cigale

la Cigale
Ranked #4 of 81 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Single Traveller, 3 nights.
I stayed here for a few nights in December after reading some positive reviews, and am I glad I did. After a somewhat choppy crossing frm Chumpon, I was collected Lompraaha pier by a lovely driver who took me in pick up to La Cigale. What strikes you first is the location of the resort, quite a way up into the Jungle, but by taxi/scooter its a breeze. I was greeted by two friendly members of staff who showed me to my room. I was stunned as the room looked like the very one I'd seen pictures of before. Furnishing was of a very high standard, lovely bed, good air con, safe, tv, fan, french dooors opening onto a beautiful wooden deck with a stunning view of Sairee beach to the south. I then discovered the en suite bathroom, which was insanely good. I dont normally rave about bathrooms, but this one is worth it. Shower, WC is in a private room, in the jungle! (My pictures will go some way to explain what this actually looks like, but lets just say its seriously cool!)

I was also given a personal mobile where I could order food and use for calls.,The owner, Andre, called me to introduce himself. He was away from the resort when I stayed but it was a nice introduction to the La Cigale and the Island.Touches like this makes this place even more magical.

The whole bungelow and resort is discreetly placed in the middle of the Jungle, but in no ways does this mean isolation. The beer is only 250 metres away, but it is a steep hill, so some holiday makers may want to use scooters/taxis.La cigale also rents scooters, but they were all out when I arrived so I used a place at the bottom of the hill( about 50 metres to the main road). I had mine for 5 days and there a good reputable place.

In terms of location, La cigale sits to the North of Sairee beach, and ojn Scooter its less than 5 mins. The beach is only 250 metres away, and the main road, where there are shops and scotter rental is only around 50 from the bungelows

I did stay elsewhere on the island later on in my trip, but La Cigale was by far the best place I stayed and nicest place I've stayed in my 6 weeks in Thailand.

I will be back to Ko Tao soon, and La Cigale is the place I will be looking to book. Thanks again, Andre and the La Cigale team for a fantastic time :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ispoono

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is an absolutely amazing find!
Nestled amongst the native foliage and breathtaking fruit trees, you will find stunning bungalows built in and around the nature... And when I say, 'around', I mean that upon entering a room you are likely to see a huge boulder protruding from the wall... Or some other piece of the outdoors coming in... Making this one of the most beautiful and unique places that I have ever had the pleasure of staying.
Every bungalow is different, and each as magnificent in so many different ways. I could go on and on...
And as if the 5 star accommodation weren't enough, wait until you meet the owners. Down to earth and amazingly kind, they will ensure your holiday is the best it can possibly be.
Last words: "You must experience this for yourselves!!!"

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just spent 4 nights in the family bungalow at La Cigale with my girlfriend. Returning for my second stay 3 years after my first stay in 2010. I was equally happy with stay the 2nd time round. I would certainly recommend it for a super relaxing & comfortable stay on Koh Tao.

The place is nicely furnished, kept super clean, and tidy with daily room cleaning. Location wise it’s further enough away from Sairee Township and beachfront to enjoy the peace and quiet of garden the bungalow and Villas sit amongst.

Owner and host Andre does a amazing job of ensuring you are comfortable during your stay and has thoughtfully provided a comprehensive list of local restaurants that can home deliver if you want to enjoy breakfast or a meal taking in the beautiful view of Sairee beach on the balcony (as does the king size bed). A Thai mobile is provided if you need to make bookings for dinner, ferries, massage or spa locally. There’s collection of DVDs and books available should you have a wet weather day or not want to stray from the super chill surrounds. To get back in the action you are a stones throw 4-minute scooter ride into the main township of Sairee and 10mins from the major ferry terminals.

Andre can arrange scooter hire on arrival which we enjoyed exploring some of the quieter beaches. The traffic isn’t too busy, still care needs to be taken with some of the more rushed resort taxi pickup truck and construction tip truck drivers. I wouldn’t take the streets of BKK on riding a scooter but KT is quite alright, with a bit of care taken and decent set of breaks it’s a fantastic way to explore the island.

Our favourite stops were Sunset drinks at Dusit buncha resort water front bar looking over to Koh Nyang and swimming off the granite boulders, also some tasty Cocktails and the Ibiza styled Fizz bar coupled with mellow house and chillout sounds on Sairee beach, Maya bar & Moov bar for a party night. For beaches; we loved the quieter ones on the south & east coast and of course; massages. I recommend Plern massage in Chalok Baan village, it may not be the most plush set up on island but these girls give a real deal firm Trad Thai massage.

For restaurants: Bam Bam’s in Mae Haad town, for a break from delicious Thai food we enjoyed a vegie burger at the hipster juice bar/burger/tattoo joint just down form the main super market on Sairee village main road and our highlight non Thai restaurant was Bizaro Tapas & Bar. Well priced, great service ( something island Thai folks often are very ‘relak’ about but not here which is a nice change). Delectable Spanish tapas and Latin American grill and seafood dishes were a refreshing change and we returned for a second meal and rounds of the Thai basil mojitos, take me back there now!

Don’t leave the island with out trying Som Tam thai salad : I swear to god it will change your life! We look forward to our next stay and Ahhhh La Cigale.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have to say the pictures on some booking websites really underrate this great place. I stayed in garden villa for two nights. The first sight of the villa really shocked me. The total area might be more than 200 square meters. A comfortable bedroom, a spacious bathroom, an open-air kitchen, and a two-story balcony. Being in the villa brings you close to nature and you'll get a feeling that you are living the mountain.

The breakfast materials are complementary, including all that you need: milk, eggs, bread, jam, cheese. Feel free to DIY your breakfast or basically everything, because Andre the host have already prepared juice machine, bread toasting machine, a pan, plates, forks and knives, sauce, washing gem...... Imagine drinking mango juice made by yourself on the out-door hammock or sofa on the balcony below or having a rich breakfast in the open-air living room.

It takes 10 minutes to beach where you can board taxi boat arranged by Andre the host. The amenity on the beach belongs to another resort but is open to La Cigale. It is just like the back garden of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the biggest villa with open-air kitchen!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at La Cigale for about a week. The Family Villa was wonderful with a spacious room, an open kitchen/terrace area build literally into the hillside, a 'jungle bathroom' (also built right onto the rock wall), and everything one needs to relax, including an exterior sofa-corner protected by a mosquito net and a hammock. It's hard to do justice to the beauty of this villa with words. The daily housekeeping service was great, the minibar in the room was stocked with the essentials for very decent prices, and we even got complimentary drinking water, eggs, bread, marmalade, coffee, and tea (and welcome fresh cononut juices!). Andre, the owner, was very friendly and helpful, and he arranged our pick-up and drop-off from the pier. The views from the Twin Villa, where our friends stayed, were stunning. All in all, it was great and we warmly recommend La Cigale to anyone who wants to be pampered and at the same time wants to experience the feeling of living in the 'wild'. The only minus would be that the wifi did not work on our mobiles; we could connect to it but could not actually access the internet. This might have been an issue with our devices, and we did not actually follow up with the owner because we anyhow had internet access (3G) on our inexpensive Thai SIM cards.

Room Tip: Both the Family Villa and the Twin Villa were wonderful. We did not see the other two or three villa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a great stay at the bungalow: quiet and romantic place at Koh Tao, great views and warm welcome. The walk up to the cribs is quite steep, but well worth it and of course can always rent a scooter. We liked the walk on the beach to the restaurants and got some good advices from Andre for places to enjoy a nice Thai dinner. Will recommend La Cigale to friends visiting the island!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judith E
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Staying in the "Family Villa" on our honeymoon was one of my favorite places! The villa is extremely nice and beautiful--with a bathroom/shower area that is my dream (vines, natural light, seemingly outside but not)... Gorgeous views and pretty easy walking down to the beach or to the nearby 'town' area. What is almost best of all is the great communication and helpfulness of Andre during our stay. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple