“Three trips to Thailand: best place I've stayed”
Review of la Cigale

la Cigale
Ranked #5 of 77 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Three trips to Thailand: best place I've stayed”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This place is beautiful. Set high up in the hills (but surprisingly close to the beach), the views are wonderful. Our room had a balcony overlooking the trees/beach. Could have spent the whole 3 days we stayed lying in the hammock!

What really sets it apart though, is the customer service. Andre, who runs La Cigale, just goes above and beyond. He greeted us personally on arrival with someone else who took our bags. He explained everything to us, gave us a mobile phone to use on the island, snorkels/masks and a helpful guide book. We were shattered on our first night after a long journey so made use of the takeaway menus in the room - we chose our food and rang Andre who called the takeaway and sorted out delivery etc. Couldnt have asked for more. There was also a DVD player and selection of DVDs in the room.

The place is well located, close to the action but quiet and relaxing. It really is the best of both worlds. Between myself and my partner, we have been to Thailand 3/4 times and we agreed that La Cigale is the best place we have stayed. It has that personal touch and is also excellent value. Will return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luke R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Thai first
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying with my mother in the twin villa. It was perfect. One giant kitchen area, which was perfect for my mother and I to cook breakfast and chill out all morning in the sun. It also has a pull out couch and a huge deck and bathroom. One giant bedroom in another villa just across (3 feet away) with another washroom and a stunning outdoor shower. It's very unique.
Its set perfectly just up the hill. Short walk from all the action if you want to watch some fire dancing and have some beers; but, quiet and tranquil right in amongst nature if you want to listen to birds and lay in the hammock. The owners treated us so very kind. They treated us like family.
Thanks again Andre!

• Stayed April 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a solo trip around Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, I stayed in the twin villa at La Cigale with my sister for ten days during March 2013.

This fantastic, well designed villa is split in to two large separate rooms which are connected by a wooden terrace so we were able to have a private room each.

On our arrival to the island a car was arranged by Andre to pick us up from the ferry port and take us to La Cigale. On arrival at the villas a friendly member of staff carried our bags to the door and we were presented with a fresh coconut each. A modern Honda 125cc scooter was also arranged and parked close by so we could use it to explore the island. I got good WiFi reception throughout the villa which was important to me as I needed to keep in touch with my clients while I was away. During our stay we always found Andre, Nun and the staff to be very genuine, warm, friendly, informative and helpful.

The villas are set high up on the hill side with a phenomenal view of the beach. The rooms are surrounded by jungle with the song of the cicadas, gecko's, birds and other wildlife, so you really get a feel of living amongst nature which is a perfect antidote to city life. The villas have a sprinkling of hammocks around which are great for unwinding, de-stressing and contemplating which cocktail to order on the beach in the evening.

The little town and beach is a short walk from the villas and has a great selection of restaurants, beach bars, traditional Thai massage parlors, gift shops and good coffee shops. I tried a bit of snorkeling on a near by island which is really worthwhile as you get to see another different and enchanting world under the water with plenty of exotic fish of all different sizes and colours. There are also an abundance of deep sea diving places which is the main tourist activity on the island.

I left La Cigale feeling totally relaxed, re-energised and inspired with some great memories. I hope to go back again some time soon.

To sum it up, if you're looking for a beautiful, relaxing oasis surrounded by luscious natural habitat that's run by friendly people with integrity, then I'd highly recommend La Cigale.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed March 11, 2013

La Cigale is a beautiful, quiet hideaway. Andre, Nun and their staff are very warm, welcoming and available to help at all times. La Cigale is located on a quiet road up the hill from the beach. It's a few minutes walk to the beach and 15 or so into town. The villas are freestanding and built into the environment. We stayed in the garden villa, which is partially built into the rock face of the hill. It's a bit lower in elevation so you don't have the same views that other guests have described, but I don't think that really detracts at all.

The kitchen and bathroom are partially open to the surrounding forest so you really get the sense that you're 'in' the woods. The immaculately clean bedroom does close off completely and has air conditioning, and we were very comfortable at night. TV and Wifi were reliable- a couple of brief power interruptions but nothing inconvenient. Rain shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. The bathroom is really beautiful and well appointed.

The kitchen was a little less well-appointed. If you are planning to cook a lot it may be tough. There are dishes and some basic kitchen tools but the pans' coating has worn down, knives aren't sharp, etc. Some eggs, bread and butter are provided but not replenished so we did a bit of shopping and managed to do our own breakfast, but if you were cooking for more of a crowd it could be tough.

Getting around the island was easy and the taxi driver recommended to us by Andre was lovely, helpful and very reliable. The beach at the bottom of the hill is pleasant but it's definitely worth exploring the island a bit to see some of the others- Shark Bay is really beautiful and quiet.

Koh Tao itself was more hectic than I'd anticipated. It was pretty crowded and touristy. Fortunately, La Cigale is removed enough that you can relax and unwind there.

Room Tip: Quite sure that any room would be great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Huelva, Spain
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We arrived to Koh Tao and a lovely girl picked us up at the pier.
André welcomed us at La Cigale and showed us the Twin Villa with Sea View where we stayed at for 3 nights. It was beautiful, so relaxing, paradise!
The room was a whole house and we totally loved it! The view was also gorgeous.
We stayed an extra night at the Villa with Garden View, which was also amazing.
André is such a charming man and he was very helpful during our stay.
Can't wait to go back! :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having travelled throughout Southeast Asia with my two daughters (6 and 9 years old), I can safely say that this was our favourite place so far. We had space, privacy, and time to contemplate the pure beauty of the place. Andre, Nun and the staff were so helpful with every aspect of our stay and it was such a pleasure to stay in accommodation with character and style, rather than the bland five star hotels we'd been in for much of our stay. We will be back, and it will be for much longer next time.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are probably good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at La Cigale in April 2012 on my 23 day solo adventure. Having traveled a fair bit including the Maldives I can easily say this is one of my most favorite places in the world which I am always recommending to others travelling to Ko Tao. As soon as I arrived I couldn't stop smiling when I was shown to my bungalow. The view is to die for and the accommodation is beautiful with a huge bed looking out onto the view and the most fantastic bathroom I have ever had. For the price you just cannot beat this place! The other massive plus point is Andre... on arrival Andre provided me with a mobile phone that had important numbers ready for me to call, I ordered some food which was bought to my terrace for me and he even got cigarettes for me - first class service!! The walk down to the beach isn't too far, took me about 25 minutes to walk back at night from Fish Bowl area but for a few days of total indulgence it's definitely worth it! I cannot wait to come back here when I go travelling at the end of the year with my boyfriend. Just book it, you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo