Koh Tao Regal Resort
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewscrystal divedeeper poolcotton budssairee beachscuba geardeep endroom was cleaned everydaymin walkingthe main hotelnight ferryworked greatwalk along the beachpool sidebottled waterreception staff arehuge balconyrooms are lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2010

The staff were some of the least helpful, to the point of rudeness i have experienced. They wouldn't speak to you at all unless you directly asked a question that demanded an answer, not friendly at all. Breakfast was not laid out at 07:45 (start was 07:00), staff were cleaning the floor around us, bizarre.
I'm not sure whether the hotel is new and is still experiencing teething problems or was finshed in a hurry. The place as a whole is of a reasonable standard and has a beachfront location on Koh Tao's main beach. The sunbeds had no cushions on them, only the rigid wood structures, and the hotel did not provide towels for the beach or pool, 5l waterbottles had been cut open and used as ashtrays around the pool area and left full of litter and cigarette butts. The quality of materials used to build the place was good but the finishing was awful, grout all over the tiles, badly painted and we had to change rooms due to our shower leaking into reception!
Should and could be a whole lot better.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed here because I was diving with Crystal Dive and they are linked with this hotel and the rooms are better than at Crystal's resort. I paid 1800 baht per night which included my 200 baht discount for diving with Crystal. The room was good, large, with a balcony which only had a view to the side of the hotel which was far from spectacular. There was a TV in the bedroom, a good sized tiled bathroom although no hot water and a large comfortable bed. The hotel has Wi-Fi internet which is only accessible from the lobby area, a very poor signal in the room. I came in after a night out at about 3am and found some staff sitting around watching TV and I asked to use the internet but they just said "Internet finished" and carried on watching TV, I was able to log onto a weak signal in my room and sent some e-mails. I then went down for breakfast at 0635 in the morning, no buffet as I expected but a choice of 6 from a card menu, the breakfast was OK but the waitress who served me was obviously not happy as she did not crack a smile at all. The reception staff and cleaners were all friendly and helpful but I felt that the night staff and restaurant staff were not friendly or helpful although on the second day a different waitress greeted me for breakfast and she was OK. I didn't stay any longer and checked out after two nights into an apartment for 1400 baht a night near Crystal Dive, above Ocean Dive shop. I think that 1800 was to high a price to pay in a hotel which is not fully open because it is still low season. Some of the staff need to go on a customer service course. All in all this was disappointing and I think Crystal could do far better than to be linked with this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Pros :
Good location
Good buffet breakfast
Good rooms with large bathroom

Cons :
Hotel feels unfinished
Not the best value
Soulless
Noisy hallways

Conclusion :
Ok middle range hotel but not '5 Star' as we were told by Crystal Dive reception.
Much better value hotels in the same area

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The resort is very well situated, about three minutes walk from the pier, and with direct access to the sea. There is a beautiful "three-in-one" infinity pool. Our room had an amazing view on the sea, and a jacuzzi bathtub. Definitely, I think this hotel is much nicer than it appears on their website. However, we had the impression that it is not fully finished: there are still some works going on, some details in the room could be added to make them more charming, internet isn't working all the time, breakfast could be improved, etc. I would still recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed 3 weeks in Thailland, the service we got everywhere was excelent but here it was awfull.
People just want your money and tries to increase the price all the time.
We had to change 4 times rooms in one day because the always gave us a bad room.
The weather was not so good so they asked us to pay all the nights in advance!!!
For sure do not book this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple