“Building site!”

Koh Tao Regal Resort
Ranked #47 of 81 Koh Tao B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Booked this hotel through Agoda it looked lovely, on arrival it was like driving into a building site, receptionist very rude, I asked to see the "Superior room" that I had booked as all I could hear from the reception was drilling and banging, when we were shown the room the bed had been laid on/slept in and towels were scattered across bed and the view looked like a building site/rubbish tip. I said I didn't want to stay in this room and wanted to move to another hotel but was informed by rude staff member that this was not possible until they spoke to Agoda! We agreed to pay for an upgraded room for one night and wanted to move the next day but still to this day I never received a refund! Also pool is dominated by diving schools all day. Not recommended!!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AandP2004

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here for two nights which definately wasnt enough! The pools were a perfect break from the beach and we found the staff to be polite and helpful too. Only thing we didnt enjoy about the Regal resort was it seemed to be unfinished. All and all though great stay, very clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spend a week in the Regal Resort. Had one of the cheapest rooms of the resort at the back of the building. Although there still was some constructionwork going on, it didn´t bother us at all. The room itself was great, clean, nice bed and big shower. The overall atmosphere was poor. The restaurantstaff was unfriendly, made you wait for a long time or just didn´t understand you. There is not a lot going on in the evening so you have to go to Sairee beach or the Pier to have a good time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Okay this hotel has a good location between sairee beach and the maehead pier, and is five minutes to both. THe pools are nice, and the rooms are modern with all the conveniences you would expect of a modern hotel. Sadly a couple of things let this hotel down the service is rather hands off, and they dont exactly welcome you you feel production lined. The lack of local info is dissapointing i found they could have helped arranged trips which i did myself but they didnt offer - a mistkae in my opinio. A good location and nice to sleep (despite the building works going on) but the service left me dissapointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked for two nights into this hotel on 1 and 2 Janaury 2014. It was really a disappointment. Despite its superb location right on the beach the only other positive point is the swimming pool. The hotel in general is run down,not very clean and the interior is tatty and in contrast with Thai custom the staff are in general not friendly, slow to assist you and there is no customer friendly atmosphere. Although the price for the room for peak season was reasonable we will not stay here again. The restaurant service is poor and slow too and the food compared to other restaurants not on the same standard. The lady at the bar was the only smart staff member. Not recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JdeWaal
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights with our 7 yr old son. One of the big reasons for boomking the Regal was the pool as our son can while away may hours just splashing and playing. The 3 pools at Regal give it a great feeling and atmosphere and our ground floor poolside room was perfect for quick access. I must say that with some rather cloudy weather at this time of year the pool was on the cold side. This meant our son didn't spend as much as as usual in it as you really had to be active. I on the other hand got some great laps in as the middle pool must be around 18m so not too bad for some proper swimming.

Our room was good. We only had a King size bed which was actually big enough for all 3 of us if we had wanted, but our son is a great traveller and was happy to sleep onthe floor on a Therma rest mattress. The hotel provided extra bedding at no charge so we effectively got 3 of us in for the price of 2 adults. The room was spacious enough and tghe bathroom was a good size. I think the water must have been solar heated as it was often only just warm inthe morning but hot in the evening, which was fine we just adapted.

The hotel is right on the beach so easy access but there is a small defensive sea wall which acts as a path. It is also good fun when the tide is up to dodge (or not) the waves as they break on it.

Location was great for us. 5 min walk along the beach into Mae Haad where the ferry comes in, good range of restaurants (Zest is great for breakfast and lunch) with local and western available. When we wanted to go over to Sairee it was a nice 15-30 min stroll along a good path which was a nice way to start and finish the evening. Saireee has loads of options for food etc with some parts more noisy than others. Despite being there for Christmas we had no noise problems at the Regal.

We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on that, too many good alternatives in the villages. Room was cleaned every day with fresh towels and two 500ml bottles of water free (fridge in room). Staff were good when we kept forgetting our key card and were happy to look after luggage on last day while we waited for the ferry.

There was nothign about our stay that annoyed or gave cause for concern. If we did go back to Koh Tao I wouldn't have aproblem staying there again

Room Tip: Ground floor pool side are good to be able to watch kids from your terrace seats
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Ocean View Room was very good: the room was huge, it was a quarter circle so half the width of the whole hotel. The curved side of the room was entirely windows which gave you a fantastic view of the beach, harbour and glorious see. with romantic sunsets gracing the waves in the evenings.

Strangely, I had some of the best night sleeps there I have ever had, although the bed appeared very hard from sitting, I found it comfortable and relaxing to sleep on.

The bathroom was well equipped with a jacuzzi style corner bath and plenty of hot water, although I think it must have been solar heated as there was little hot water early in the mornings. We were given free shampoo, soap, conditioner, lots of towels and bath robes.

The rooms were cleaned daily, although the standard of cleaning varied day to day. Don't expect any maintenance to be carried out quickly. The laundry service was good. A nice touch is that the staff in the hotel fill up a fridge free of charge daily with drinks and water.

As mentioned before the corridors were dark and dingy, the reception staff seemed lovely and helpful when I asked for anything. The beach bar was nicely positioned and although I didn't actually use the swimming pool it looked very clean and appealing.

I'm not sure I would eat in the restaurant. It looked unloved and was always empty, I had a fruit salad for breakfast one morning which was perfectly edible and quick service.

All in all my stay was very pleasurable, I stayed there 8 nights and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Choose Ocean View Room, well worth the extra few baht, the other rooms were a little small and did n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo