“An unforgettable experience!”
Review of Big Blue Tech

Big Blue Tech
Ranked #74 of 104 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Blue Tech, the dedicated technical training and exploration department for Big Blue Diving in Thailand.We offer Technical Diver, Cavern and Cave Diver, Rebreather Diver, Dive Medic and Scuba Engineer Training from several internationally recognized training agencies. We are based on Koh Tao Island but provide training throughout Thailand and South East Asia.We provide our customers with technical expeditions, wreck explorations, cave penetrations and rebreather support all lead by our experienced in house dive team and partners in the technical diving industry.Located in four places in Thailand with our main resort in Koh Tao, you can find our offices in Bangkok, Khao Lak and Chumphon giving you options for diving including Similan IslandsWe also provide equipment repair, sales and service for all major technical diving equipment and systems.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I would just like to start by saying a massive thank you to James and Ian for the amazing opportunity to complete an Internship with Big Blue Tech, it was an incredible experience that I'll never forget. During the two months I spent as an intern I ventured from an advanced open water diver all the way to Decompression Procedures and Advanced Wreck.

I had the opportunity to be taught by both James and Ian and while different in their teaching styles both struck a fantastic balance between in water seriousness and out of the water banter. Although I struggled to complete certain aspects of my Advanced Nitrox course, Ian was exceptionally patient and went above the call of duty to help me develop the skills required for the course and prepare me for Decompression Procedures. The Advanced Wreck course I completed with James was extremely challenging but the feeling of accomplishment was incredible after it was all over.

Would just like to once again say thank you to the tech boys for an amazing couple of months, I learned so much from the day to day running of the tech shack and the two awesome blokes that operate it. I would definitely recommend Big Blue Tech to anyone thinking about starting Tech Diving or Continuing their adventure!

Just out of curiosity, when can I come back?

All reviews
"open water and advanced open water"
"dive course"
"skills"
"equipment"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was lucky enough to have Ian Jordan as my TDI Intro to Tech and TDI Advanced Nitrox instructor which I completed in September of 2013. Having completed my DMT at Big Blue months prior, technical diving was an entirely new realm to me and it took a bit of convincing on Ian's behalf to get me enrolled. Good choice. Ian was patient, well versed on all topics covered, answered all of my questions with obvious ease, and had a clear depth of knowledge of all topics covered during theory and in-water sessions. I was a bit apprehensive about making the switch between recreational and technical diving, but Ian's professionalism and passion for technical diving quickly found me following in his footsteps to continue my technical diving education through TDI and Big Blue Tech. I would highly recommend not only the TDI technical diving courses to absolutely anybody, but would also highly recommend Ian as well. Thanks for the wonderful experience, and I'm genuinely looking forward to taking the TDI Decompression Procedures course in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I am currently doing my Divemaster training at Big Blue dan decided to do my Deep, Wreck (limited penetration), and Nitrox certifications with Ian and James in the Big Blue Tech Department. For me, it was absolutely and invaluable experience. I am the type of student that asks lots of questions and always stops to go over things again, they are so calm and patient and even encouraged me to continue asking questions. As a student, or trainee, I really appreciated their philosophy of us taking our time to fully understand what we are doing, no matter how long it takes, their job is to teach us, and to me, that's the mark of a true teacher. I was really apprehensive about going inside the wreck at first, and they encouraged me and built my confidence without ever making me feel pushed to try anything I did not want to do. By the day of our wreck penetration dive I was feeling fully confident and excited and I absolutely loved it. That dive is now in my top 3 favourite dives and I have a huge appreciation for the support Ian and James gave me to get me to that point. I cannot speak highly enough of this course, I would reccomend Big Blue Tech to anyone wanting to this course or any other tech course. I am now focused on wanting to go to the next step and do Intro to Tech with them!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I began my internship with Big Blue tech at the start of August and had a fantastic month! Spending my days either in the tech shack learning about the more complex kit or out on big blue diving.
Starting with my introduction to tech course with both James and Ian, It was a challenge to say the least. My buoyancy was shocking as I’m sure James and Ian will agree. However with some coaching from James and a bit of practice it soon improved. The intro to tech course culminates with the dreaded “Hell dive” I can safely say this is the most fun I have had while diving!
After this I went on to complete my Nitrox, wreck diver and finished with my Advanced wreck course. I would highly recommend this course, its very different to any of the diving I had previously done. However it is very exciting. I will not soon forget reeling down the corridor of a wreck with my Opo in front of me. Its an incredible experience.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Big Blue tech, I learned a hell of a lot from James and Ian. They also helped me outside the diving, From borrowing bikes or letting me use the shack to skype. These guys do a lot behind the scenes that is not often seen and go above and beyond to help people. I will miss Big Blue tech and Koh Tao. Hopefully I will be back soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I've dived in many different places and let me tell you that the Big Blue Tech experience is second to non. Being picked up at the main ferry dock was great seeing as I had brought all of my equipment and our bags were slightly heavy, ;-), our driver dropped us off right at the door to the TECHSHACK, We were met with a funny " Oi, what can I help you with" and a great Yorkshire smile, James was more than helpful in getting us settled and taking care of our documentation so that we were able to just take in the first hour or so, sitting at the restaurant and being given our welcome virgin cocktail we felt like "aaaaaah we have arrived". The Tech Shack has its own boat so overcrowding was never a problem, our legend of a captain Padam who is quiet spoken sailed us round daily like a pro and our boat boy Zo was there after every dive with a helpful hand to get me back up on the boat "those twin sets and stage bottles are kinda heavy". The restaurant there is friendly and they speak English pretty well, no ordering a burger and getting soup, the food is fresh, tasty and well priced too. Daily we were met with smiles all round. Our dorm accommodation was tops and with the heat beating down the air-con was always welcome and very refreshing. Clean and fresh was the order everyday and it was great!!! I did my Intro to Tech, Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures with BBT (BigBlueTech). James and Ian were so knowledgeable and helpful and made learning an absolute pleasure, the courses from TDI are not the easiest yet they took the time to sit and make sure that I understood what it was all about, I mean if you are at 45m with a broken backup mask and your primary mask strap snaps, you need to know what to do right? Listen All I can say is that if you dive with any other operator on Koh Tao you MIGHT get your moneys worth, when you dive with Big Blue Tech or Big Blue Divers, you will get your moneys worth and more. James and Ian come highly recommended by myself and would dive with them any chance that I get, apart from the classroom sessions and blindfolded tests they are the most accommodating and honest guys on the island, a Tiger (beer) after the daily grind is always welcome and is rewarding when you can sit back and get to know your instructor. I implore you to go and check it out and see what BBT and BBD are all about.

1  Thank Daryl M