“The perfect introduction to the technical diving community”
Review of Big Blue Tech

Big Blue Tech
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Blue Tech, the dedicated technical training and exploration department for Big Blue Diving in Thailand.We offer Technical Diver, Cavern and Cave Diver, Rebreather Diver, Dive Medic and Scuba Engineer Training from several internationally recognized training agencies. We are based on Koh Tao Island but provide training throughout Thailand and South East Asia.We provide our customers with technical expeditions, wreck explorations, cave penetrations and rebreather support all lead by our experienced in house dive team and partners in the technical diving industry.Located in four places in Thailand with our main resort in Koh Tao, you can find our offices in Bangkok, Khao Lak and Chumphon giving you options for diving including Similan IslandsWe also provide equipment repair, sales and service for all major technical diving equipment and systems.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I came to Koh Tao with the intention of completing some skills progression courses as well as diving for fun. I contacted Big Blue and received an immediate, helpful response from James, the technical manager. I booked the courses and accommodation on the website and found the prices very reasonable.

On arrival on Koh Tao, a representative from Big Blue met me at the pier and took me to my accommodation which was clean, tidy and free! The diving formalities were taken care of in a swift but professional manner and I was quickly in the water.

I arrived in mid December, clearly a busy time on the island. It was clear that the company's logistics were pushed right to the limit, with one of their dive boats being refurbished. That the experience was still so good was in no small part due to the outstanding, highly professional Big Blue staff.

Right from the outset, I felt more like a club member than a customer, especially in the 'Tech Shack' with James and Bryan. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they went out of their way to ensure I got the training I wanted and had fun doing it. The TDI 'Intro to Tech' course is by far the best diving course I have done, improving my diving immeasurably. I was the sole student on my course; 3 days of instruction and diving with Paul Jura, an experienced TDI instructor, all for less than £200 was outstanding value for money.

Following the course, I felt that I needed some time to consolidate, getting familiar with the twinset before progressing. James (Big Blue Tech manager) didn't try to push me at all; in fact he provided me with all the specialist equipment necessary and ensured I could dive recreationally with the tech kit, all at a very reasonable price.

From a recreational diving point of view, it is worth highlighting how good the Big Blue Dive Masters are. I dived with Carly, Phil, Darren, Stephen, Marc and Sophia and found them all to be excellent DMs. Professional, safe and fun, they all know the dive sites intimately and ensure divers have the best experience possible. I completed the SSI Basic Wreck course with Rick and found him to be equally good.

It goes without saying that the diving in the Gulf of Thailand is quite special, as is the atmosphere on the Island. You will need no small measure of discipline to drag yourself away from the Big Blue bar in a fashion commensurate with diving the following day!

Overall, I couldn't recommend Big Blue and Big Blue Tech highly enough. The staff are outstanding and really make the experience. You will need to be flexible at times, however this really does work both ways and in return you will have a thoroughly enjoyable and very rewarding experience.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

i just did tdi decompression procedures and advanced wreck with big blue tech. the instructor james was really chilled out and fun to hang out with on land but as soon as we got in the water things got serious and he didnt make it easy for me. i learned a lot and my diving definitely improved! hes got a great deal of experience and a lot of times underwater he understood what i was doing before i even did :)
i could tell that he enjoyed teaching as much as i did learning from him.
i had a great time here and ill definitely be back for the extended range!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

In a nutshell: It was just awesome!
All in all, I did three courses with the great crew from BBT. Starting with the Advanced Nitrox course where I refined my finning technique and learned how to utilize Oxygen for my next class, the DecoProcedures. Which I passed in some of the best and most challenging dives I did so far. Finally reaching the level of an Extended Range Diver with the help of Ian, which was a mentor for the four weeks I spent with these guys. In between those class- days, I did some fundives wherefore its absolutely worth a trip to Koh Tao. If you want to hang out with Bullsharks or massive Groupers, this island will be your first choice. But be sure to dive with the tech- crew from BBT. They dont need to share a boat with those diving recreational. You´ll have a boat just for tech- divers, So you dont need to wait for them ending their second dive after your first. The divespots are always well choosen and if you want to see a certain place, just ask them.. It was great to take part in the planning of those diving- days. Regarding the diving... It was perfect. Always interesting, challenging and [--]kicking!

To sum it up: In the tech- shack you can meet some of the finest people I met so far. If you´re going to southern Thailand and you want to do some [--]- diving, there is no better way than diving with this crew.

Did I mention that I found a GoPro ????
- On one of the 48m dives I found a HD- Cam on the bottom at 45m. Took it with me, cleaned it of corals and BAM! Got my own GoPro...

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have taken other TDI courses (Intro To Tech, Advanced Nitrox, Decompression, Trimix) at Big Blue Tech, and have been very satisfied with these courses, as they got me hooked on technical diving but also improved my skills for normal fun-diving.

After a trip to the wrecks in Coron (Philippines) I really felt I needed some better wreck penetration understanding, so I decided to take the TDI Advanced Wreck... and that was exactly what I needed to feel more comfortable when playing around inside a 150m sunken ship with lots of silt and debris and pointy things and plants trying to entangle you.
I already had the PADI Wreck course, but as with everything in PADI it is a very elementary course, so if you are serious about wrecks I can only recommend the TDI Advanced Wreck, where you encounter all kinds of problematic scenarios.. and learn how to overcome them!

The crew at BBT really know what they are doing and are very helpful, so all my best recommendations.
I have got training from 4 different instructors plus various assistants at BBT over the years, and they are all really excellent both professionally and personally.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a short 2 day course run by Big Blue Tech and you end up qualified to solo dive, carrying a backup tank and regulator. Chief Instructor James was very knowledgeable and professional.
Bring a usb stick as they can provide you with a liability form for solo diving which you can bring to other dive shops. Underwater it is a challenging course and besides making you able to deal with a variety of problems(like free flowing regs to out of air) you also get an insight into tech techniques like side mounted tanks and lots of little tricks. A really unique course that will improve your diving whether with a buddy or not as well as giving you a tryout on tech gear. Awesome!