“Only the position! Horrible service, room and staff for a big price.”

Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Premise that I am a frequent traveler and don't need about great services when i'm aroud the world. The dirty water with shampoo and bubble bath in the sink and the shower, are discharge directly into the sea . Room small and very poor for the money that they ask. No fridge, no shower facilities, bath towel never changed, and so on..
Thailand is cheap with better services, not like this resort. No rental cars or scooters..and you will see how you will arrive there!
At restaurant after ate, you can clean your mouth with toilet paper!
Positive comment only for the wonderful and amazing view of the bay on main resort.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights. The first day we were there most of the staff were pretty unfriendly. We paid an extra 1,000 BHT for air conditioning and hot water. When it was time for bed we discovered there was no top sheet or blanket on the bed. I tried to take a shower and the hot water would not come on. I walked along the cement platform to the front desk (there's no phone in the room) and they got me 2 sheets, but said they had no blankets. They kept me waiting about 10-15 minutes for the sheets and then I had to wait for someone to walk back with me to fix the water heater (which he did). About an hour later the AC stopped working. Back to the front desk I went, and had to wait again while they woke someone up (it was about midnight) to come look at it. He came to the room but couldn't fix it and told me to walk back with him to the front. Each trip was about 3-4 minutes, so the back and forth got very annoying. The people at the desk in the evening were not apologetic at all, and almost seemed angry at us. Eventually they did fix the AC, but not until the following day. They did refund us 700BHT for the AC not working, which was nice. The rooms were not particularly fancy, but probably about right for the price on this side of the island. You need to walk along a cement platform over the beach to get to the rooms and be careful because it's easy to trip. There are also no rails on the sides. The drop is only about 8 feet, so nothing that will kill you, but enough to hurt you. And bring a flashlight because they turn the stair lights off around 10 PM and the cement walkway lights off around 1 AM. The food is mediocre, but not overpriced. Just remember they close PROMPTLY at 9 PM. One night I tried to buy water at 9:05 and they wouldn't sell it to me. One staff member was fairly friendly, and the manager (who had checked us in originally) did warm up to us quite a bit by the time we left, which left me feeling a lot better about the place than when we arrived. All in all, it was so-so, but probably about par for the course in the area. It's quiet, but beware of the cover bands that play across the bay since the sound does travel and it's a little annoying. The beach is beautiful and there's great snorkeling (hotel rents snorkels for 50 BHT/day).

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are a little cheaper, and will avoid the cover band noise from across the bay...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ben M
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We went there cause on the lonely planet guide was one of the resorts with low/average prices. Well, IT'S NOT, they have bungalows for 700 bath per nights but it's impossible to sleep there. We were really afraid the whole bungalow, balcony included, could fall down. Blankets on the bed had spots everywhere. The bathroom was under the room. The only thing I can save was the view in front of the sea. Go there only if you want to spend money because expensive bungalows are cool, but only those. They have a private beach and resturant on the beach, but the personnel is not really friendly and don't speak english.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank cloti12
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Beautiful beach and location, very good outlook, friendly staff but a little bit littered (plastic); free taxi service to the pier. I can recommand the Freedom Beach Resort. You dont need to book the expensive ac room, room with fan is sufficient.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Juliane R
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I spent five nights at the Freedom Beach/Taatoh Resort in early July, 2012. I arrived on Koh Tao, earlier than I anticipated. I WAS on the ferry from Samui to Koh Phangan – a day before the full moon party. On arrival in Koh Phangan, upon seeing the swarms of full moon part goers on the pier, I immediately departed for Koh Tao. Smart move it turned out.

So, I had no plans at all upon arrival in Koh Tao. I spent one night in a fairly quiet bungalow set up towards the north of Sairee Beach. But I found the whole ‘Sairee scene’ absolutely vile and the very same afternoon, took a walk down to the southern end of the island and came across the more agreeable beach and village of Chalok Ban Kao. I took one look across the bay, and spied what looked like an amazing group of bangalows, perched high above the bay – picture post card Koh Tao – and just what the doctor ordered.

I strolled around the bay and came across the Taatoh Resort and sister resort of Freedom Beach Resort. The location and situation of this place is quite amazing and as others have posted, is for sure the highlight. So, I set off back to Sairee, spent the night there and travelled back to Taatoh Resort for an additional five nights of chilling out.

I chose one of the very simple bungalows, right down on the waters edge. It was perched up on stilts above the water splashing below during high tide. Facing west, it was set up for sundowner drinks on the small balcony each and every afternoon. The room was very simple in the classic Thai bungalow style. Fan cooled, very simple bathroom – everything you need and nothing you don’t. (Side note: the few bungalows around at Freedom Beach and adjacent restaurant sala - look almost abandoned at the moment. Perhaps they fire up when high season kicks in?)

There is a fairly good range of accommodation at Taatoh including more elaborate rooms with air conditioning. The place was fairly quiet, until the full moon hordes had slept of their hangovers on Koh Phangan and made the trip across to Koh Tao several days after the full moon party. It was noticeably busier then, which is when I went the other way - back to Koh Phangan!

I would say the best way to describe this place is to call it ‘flash-packer’. It is not necessarily a family oriented property, though there were families there. It is right at the end of the road in Chalok Ban Kao and I would recommend renting a motor scooter for use around the local area and other parts of the island. (Good reliable scooter hire from a Scottish guy and his Thai wife, a few doors up from the 7-11 in Chalok – near the ‘ying-yang’ restaurant. Clean, well maintained bikes, honest service – nice people).

Back to the hotel. There is a substantial reception area/dining area and a small email café all in the one large pavilion, with fantastic views over the bay. A pretty steep set of stairs descends to the attractive beach, with sun lounges and palm trees. The bar down here looked non-operational when I stayed.

Others have commented on the hit and miss nature of the service at Taatoh, but I would disagree. The place is managed by Khun Rhat and her hard working team. Sure they could learn a little more about the finer points of service and hospitality, but most staff had a good handle on English (Khun Rhat has excellent English). I didn’t eat here much, but the food looked good.

It is possible to walk around the rocks at to the main part of the beach and the other resorts on Chalok Ban Kao. Some good cafes and restaurants around, a nice yoga sala, set up above a dive school. Try the 'Bar Next Door' – for excellent cocktails and rum drinks. Tip: If you are not into SCUBA diving, many of the schools will allow you to go out on the SCUBA boat with the divers and loan you a set of fins, snorkel and mask to have a splash around with – a good day out, at a fraction of the cost of the dedicated snorkelling tour boats.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But I doubt I would ever go back to Koh Tao. Too overdeveloped, too many dive schools, too many backpackers, too much plastic rubbish lying around and a very strong vibe of ‘rip off the tourists’ among some of the locals. (Not to mention the ‘rip off/exploit’ the cheap, imported/illegal Burmese labour that work all over the island...)

Koh Phangan (north-west coast) beats Koh Tao – hands down.

Other – Koh Tao is NOT the place to learn how to ride a motor scooter. Roads are pretty awful, dirt roads are lethal, all dogs on this island have a suicide gene and walk onto the road always!

Room Tip: Rooms right next to the water are ideal - but can be noisy at night with the waves splashing on the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RicardoMartinez
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We had one of the bungalow uppon the water, very nice feeling !
This bungalow was very good, spaciaous and clean. However, they should clean up the rocks behind the bungalows, we had a toilet cabinet next to our bungalow and many other trashes.
The restaurant was great, right in front of the resort's private beach which is also very pleasant !
The staff were really friendly and profesional. Thanks for that.
In November 2011, they were building a beach bar, so now it should be finished. Hope it's not taking over the beach :)

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed there for a week while traveling solo in May/June 2012.

Pros:
1) Location, location, location. If you are looking for quiet and relaxing, this is the place to be. The resort is in an unbelievably quiet area, has a beautiful private beach (actually two I guess - one on the beach side and one on the bay side). However, I was a solo traveler and wouldn't recommend it for solo travelers. Too far removed and most everyone else were couples on romantic getaways so tough to meet people.
2) Good food, fairly priced
3) The bungalows are great. I had the seaview ones, which are one step up from the most basic. Even the most basic will have great views, but the seaview rooms seem to be newly renovated. Even with just a fan I was comfortable.

Cons:
1) Like I said, if you're a solo traveler or looking to party this isn't the place. However the good thing about Koh Tao is it's so small you can be in the heart of the action within 15 minutes or so on a scooter.
2) The staff. I won't say they're rude, they just don't seem to care you're there. If you don't expect much in terms of customer service (which honestly doesn't really bother me), then you'll be fine. But don't expect them to be overly nice like at other places I've stayed in Thailand.
3) They turn all the lights off at night in the public area and the walkways to the bungalows. So if you arrive after a night out, you better have a flashlight with you.
4) No wifi in rooms, but the wifi in the public areas works fine.

Room Tip: I'd upgrade to at least the sea/bay view rooms with fan, as opposed to the cheapest ones. They...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo