Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
$177
$165
$148
$69
Koh Tao Simple Life Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$49
$42
  • Breakfast included
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$43
$75
$59
$54
Agoda.com
Montalay Beach Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$32
$30
Agoda.com
In Touch Resort & Restaurant(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$23
$22
Aminjirah Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
$55
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 29, 2011

if you are looking for a beautifull view and calm area to stay in ko tao this is the place.
they have great prices. hot water a/c great lovely stuff.
the best food in their restorant.
we've enjoyed the great water tempratore at the beach

I think it's the best place to stay in Ko tao.
we took the beach view villa and it was amazing to see the sunset from our balcony.
I'll defenately come back here...
warmly recommanded

Room Tip: the rooms that are most farther from the restorant since they have the best sea view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We reached koh tao and had no confirmed hotel bookings. Being high season we didnt get rooms any where which were well priced and had access to the beach. We walked for a good 2 hours before we reached freedom beach resort. Its far from the noise but has a spectacular private beach. The rooms were quite basic but clean and had a great view with a balcony. They have a great restaurant with amazing Thai food. The staff is very helpful. They arranged a snorkelling trip for us in 10 min and we didnt leave the breakfast table. The boatman they organized was very good and knew all the great spots off the tourist trail for snorkelling. I have his number and will surely call him for my next visit. The hotel is secluded and you should choose this only if you want a nice quiet time. If you want to visit bars etc then this might not be the place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of a 6 month RTW trip, beautiful views, average room ( more expensive than others of like for like) major factor was that we went out for dinner & our bungalow was ransacked & our possessions stolen. There was no signs of forced entry, all doors & windows locked- how did they get in? The door is locked by padlock & we think a spare key was used. We alerted night staff who told us to go to bed, the next day no one said sorry or broached the subject with us! I could go on but fact is we have had hundreds of pounds worth of valuables stolen & 6 months of pictures gone. Stay here at your own risk!

• Stayed: September 2011
7  Thank Teawhitewithone
Reviewed September 12, 2011

When I say "pay for the location" I don't mean it's in the center of everything going on. Just the opposite. We wanted peace and quiet for a weekend and this was great.

My husband and I are teachers in Thailand and went to Koh Tao for a 4 day weekend with a friend. This place was suggested to us by a Thai woman who is from Koh Tao because of it's location. It is about a 10 minute drive from the ferry port, and not near the main dive/party strip. While this may be a downside for some, it was just what we wanted. Taxi rides are 100 baht each way so we opted to rent motorbikes for 150 a day since we'd have to go back and forth into town. Definitely do this if you are a good rider.

We got the most basic bungalow that they offer. Just a bed and a bathroom with a cold shower. Nothing spectacular, but it was clean. The amazing part of it was that it was raised up and we had a deck looking over the bay that it is situated on. They have their own beach and if you are willing to splurge, or if you have a big group, you can get a nicer/bigger bungalow almost on the water.

OK snorkeling right off the beach. Restaurant was decent although Koh Tao has some of the best western food we've had in Thailand (when you live here, that's what you want when you go on vacation).

We stayed here for 3 of our 4 nights and then decided to ditch the motorbikes and stay our last night on the main strip so we could check out the town. There are other restaurants within a few minutes walking on the beach (farther if you take the road), so if you don't mind getting a motorbike or paying for a taxi every time you want to go to town, then definitely check this place out. On a final note, they do offer a free morning taxi to take you back to the docks.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank AmberRiot
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at Freedom Beach Resort 7 years ago and when we decided to go to Koh Tao in August 2011, I immediately booked a room there. Basic bungalows, beautiful view and a quiet beach is what I remembered. This is not the case anymore! Now there is a big building with some bungalows, but on the other side of the hill. I booked a bungalow, but when we got there we were told to wait, because they were cleaning the room. We waited for more than an hour and then were told that the people in the bungalow wish to stay longer, but they will give us an upgrade to a room in the main building, because that's all that was available. Nice room with aircon, but when we opened the balcony door (with a view of branches and nothing else), it smelled so badly of urine that we immediately closed it. Our bathroom also smelled a bit bad and I thought nothing serious of it, till it started to smell REALLY bad. So bad that I felt like vomiting . Open holes in the bathroom floor and we got the sewage stench from it. Later I saw that the restaurant's restrooms were above our room. I complained about the stench and they told me they will send somebody to clean our bathroom again (don't know how this would've helped) but nobody showed up. Stayed there for two nights, but those were two nights too many.
Also, the staff were not the friendliest people that I've met in Thailand. One of the guys working at the reception was so drunk the one day. He even told me that he's nice to people if they are nice to him, but if they are not nice to him then he is not nice. I get the idea that the people working there are not happy at all.
Some positive things: nice restaurant with good food and the place was clean.
But, never again!!!! Give me back the old Freedom Beach Resort any day. (They are still there, but it was dead quiet. They have a new restaurant on the beach and I can't help but wondering if they've agreed' to share their name with the new place in return for a new restaurant. Not only did the new place got their name, but it is also getting all the people.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple