“Great budget place - Pay for the location”

Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed September 12, 2011

When I say "pay for the location" I don't mean it's in the center of everything going on. Just the opposite. We wanted peace and quiet for a weekend and this was great.

My husband and I are teachers in Thailand and went to Koh Tao for a 4 day weekend with a friend. This place was suggested to us by a Thai woman who is from Koh Tao because of it's location. It is about a 10 minute drive from the ferry port, and not near the main dive/party strip. While this may be a downside for some, it was just what we wanted. Taxi rides are 100 baht each way so we opted to rent motorbikes for 150 a day since we'd have to go back and forth into town. Definitely do this if you are a good rider.

We got the most basic bungalow that they offer. Just a bed and a bathroom with a cold shower. Nothing spectacular, but it was clean. The amazing part of it was that it was raised up and we had a deck looking over the bay that it is situated on. They have their own beach and if you are willing to splurge, or if you have a big group, you can get a nicer/bigger bungalow almost on the water.

OK snorkeling right off the beach. Restaurant was decent although Koh Tao has some of the best western food we've had in Thailand (when you live here, that's what you want when you go on vacation).

We stayed here for 3 of our 4 nights and then decided to ditch the motorbikes and stay our last night on the main strip so we could check out the town. There are other restaurants within a few minutes walking on the beach (farther if you take the road), so if you don't mind getting a motorbike or paying for a taxi every time you want to go to town, then definitely check this place out. On a final note, they do offer a free morning taxi to take you back to the docks.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank AmberRiot

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at Freedom Beach Resort 7 years ago and when we decided to go to Koh Tao in August 2011, I immediately booked a room there. Basic bungalows, beautiful view and a quiet beach is what I remembered. This is not the case anymore! Now there is a big building with some bungalows, but on the other side of the hill. I booked a bungalow, but when we got there we were told to wait, because they were cleaning the room. We waited for more than an hour and then were told that the people in the bungalow wish to stay longer, but they will give us an upgrade to a room in the main building, because that's all that was available. Nice room with aircon, but when we opened the balcony door (with a view of branches and nothing else), it smelled so badly of urine that we immediately closed it. Our bathroom also smelled a bit bad and I thought nothing serious of it, till it started to smell REALLY bad. So bad that I felt like vomiting . Open holes in the bathroom floor and we got the sewage stench from it. Later I saw that the restaurant's restrooms were above our room. I complained about the stench and they told me they will send somebody to clean our bathroom again (don't know how this would've helped) but nobody showed up. Stayed there for two nights, but those were two nights too many.
Also, the staff were not the friendliest people that I've met in Thailand. One of the guys working at the reception was so drunk the one day. He even told me that he's nice to people if they are nice to him, but if they are not nice to him then he is not nice. I get the idea that the people working there are not happy at all.
Some positive things: nice restaurant with good food and the place was clean.
But, never again!!!! Give me back the old Freedom Beach Resort any day. (They are still there, but it was dead quiet. They have a new restaurant on the beach and I can't help but wondering if they've agreed' to share their name with the new place in return for a new restaurant. Not only did the new place got their name, but it is also getting all the people.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Narda G
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We paid in euros 85 euro for the luxiest appartment for 4 persons for 1 night. The appartment was not as luxiery as we expected. The first thing was the bathroom. There was no showersink but only a hole in the flour. So the first time when i took a shower the hole flour and my clothes were completely whet. Than the airconditioning, when you put it on, it feels nice. But, when you go to sleep and you wake up in the midnight, you need a jacket and gloves because it is so cold!! The only good thing was the beautifull view. So if you go to koh tao, search for something else. There are a lot of good and cheap accomodations and they all have free places.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Svenvanbeek
Reviewed July 1, 2011

The resort is located in a nice bay with acces to two nice beaches which have remained their idyllic allure in contrast to Sairee Beach where construction works and party people causing very noisy surroundings. However I have seen the water more clearer, it is still perfectly fine for swimming and snorkelling. Our bungalow was very nice situated on the beach with a stunning sea view from the large balcony. Price was only 1200 baht per night which is a very good on Koh Tao if you are not unambitious. The room itself was clean and spacious enough and furnished with a wardrobe and small table. The bed was comfortable and a mosquito net was available. The only disadvantage regarding the room is that the doors and window frames doesn’t cap completely leaving spaces of around 1cm open to invite creepy creatures in your room. We tackled this problem to close the splits with tape so that we didn’t had any of the creepy creatures in our room. Secondly, you should be aware that the resort is pretty remote and you need a scooter to reach other bars, restaurants, shops and bays. Finally the food at the restaurant is quite ok and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this resort to other people but they should be aware of the remote location and eventually bring some tape with them.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here in June 2011 for just a couple nights. We had already finished our diving course at Sunshine and wanted to change to a slightly "nicer" bungalo. I would definitley recommend negotiating a little. We stayed in the 1000 baht room for 800 baht. It was the much nicer version of the fan only room. The view was beautiful and the room much nicer than most of the very simple rooms offered in most places we looked at. There was lots of light and the hot water was nice to have. Given the fact that we stayed in June, I think there was a bit less demand which is probably why it was so easy to negotiate. The only slight downside was the location because it was a 20 minute walk on the beach or a short scooter ride to the other beaches where there were bars, restaurants, and dive resorts. We had a scooter which cost us 150 baht per day, so the location was no problem for us! I wouldn't recommend eating here (a bit overpriced and not amazing food).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a week in September and had a fantastic time.

The resort was pretty empty which meant we got the run of both private beaches (two private beaches!) and bar / restaurants.

Originally we checked into the basic accomodation which was everything you would expect from a £10 a night beachside hut - basic bed with a pretty grim toilet / shower room. After a couple of days we upgraded to a sealed room e.g. tiled walls and floor instead of a wood and were very happy.

The staff were very pleasant and accomodating and the food from the restaurants were great.

Our only complaint was that the beach side bar only had three CDs so by the end of the week we knew all the words to Blue's greatest hits!

If you're going to be using Freedom Beach as a base to explore the island then you'll need your own transport but if, like us, you're there for a relaxing time on a budget then I can't think of a better place.

They run a shuttle bus to the main area of town once a day too if you feel the need to pick up supplies etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OlaOlaOlaOla
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Beautiful bay, calm turquoise water, great snorkelling, nice huts with an amazing view, good food, free WIFI, clean, comfortable and quite. What else could you ask for? After a very bad experience in Koh Tao we arrived to this paradise. We didn't know what to expect but after settled down we decided we wanted to stay here for the rest of our time in Thailand. The communal area is really nice, elegant, and modern, when we first saw it we though the place was going to be far too expensive for us but fortunately they had rooms for all budgets. The food was very nice, prices were fair and the atmosphere great. If I come back to Koh Tao I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple