“It Could Have Been Perfect”

Big Fish Dive Resort
Ranked #107 of 148 Specialty Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stunning location, beautiful bay, great outdoor seating area, lovely sunset views, plenty of lovely wooden sun loungers, clean, comfy beds...why do they have to spoil it by being so rude?
Everything about this place would be perfect if the staff would turn on a smile and be a bit more in tune with what people expect when they are on holiday/travelling.
We were originally told 1500B for the room, but then when they found out we had kids, they put the price up to 2500B for the same room, on the grounds that we would 'use more water' (this is in a cold shower room...). So at almost £50 a night it was a total rip off, £30 would have been fine. However, it was the only room available in the whole bay so we ended up taking it, and we did have a lovely time, but it made it hard for us to afford to eat that week on our travel budget.
Come on guys, just lighten up and be nice to people who stay with you. They might even come back that way.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank LS6JAN

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013. I got to know the girls from reception and the owner and rented a scooter for around a week.

Firstly rooms were fine, no fridge or hot water, but the Fan was fine, and in Thailand, I personally didnt mind the lack of hot water for a few days!

location is great! Right on Ko Tao's best beach, Chalok Bay.

I met several people who were also staying here and everyone seemed quite pleased with their room(s).

I didn't eat in the restaurant during my stay here as timing never worked out for me.

I've since read a lot of negative reviews about this place and the staff, but I personally didn't experience any negative stuff, and certainly didnt hear about anyone being ripped off. "Treat as you find" I guess. For me the staff were polite and friendly and after I moved to another, cheaper resport just a stones throw away, I kept the scooter I'd hired for another 5 or 6 days. When I returned it, no problems at all.

I'll be coming back to Ko Tao soon and I would certainly consider staying here again.:)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Ridulously over priced for the below standard accomadation. But to top off the day light robbery. I have never come across hotel staff so rude and unhelpful in all my travels, have been to 6 parts of Thai land in the past 5 weeks of travelling, and the are the worst people I have had to deal with by a long stretch. The manager of the hotel is by far the rudest. And won't help you even if you have the smallest problem. Oh and if you do fancy a lie in on your holiday this is definitely not the place for you. Every morning of our 3 day stay they woke us up at 6:45. With 4 members of staff sweeping gravel out side out door to pick up the leaves. That could easily be done at 10:00. All in all. Stay away!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Nice hotel, very simple and wild. We got a room on the second floor with our balcony see view. It was spectacular sunset every day. The service in the hotel is very standard. Close to the hotel we had a breakfast in a local coffee shop. Guys if you go there please keep Koh Tao clean..it is tiny island with no drinking water. So all the water they have comes from rain seasons.And drinking water of course comes from main land.
Generally do not expect much of a service from Big Fish, but it is nice place to stay and take rest from every days routine.

Room Tip: the best room in front of the sea.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel is nice located in Chalok beach, walking distance to some bars, restaurants & diving schools. The price of the room is ok (in low season we paid 1000b). However the room has never been cleaned. I agree what other people are writing about the owner. The lady is really tricky with the prices of any additional services (loundry- we paid 60 bahts/kg, while every else it was 40bahts, the trip to Krabi was about 300bahts more expensive than in other agencies). The restaurant is expensive and not good (we had there breakfast only once) The funniest thing happened to us on the last da. We had to check out on 10am, but our bout was leaving at 9pm, so we asked the reception to leave there our bags (it was for free :-) ) & we asked for possibility to shower. The price was ok, 50 bahts/ person...but later it turned ou that the price didn't include towels....not a big money, but leaves some bad impression...

Room Tip: Generally it is ok to stay in Big Fish for sake of good location, however try to avoid any additiona...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 700Jezabel
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Big Fish has the nicest location in Chalok beach. It has a very nice garden/beach area. Nice looking, sea-viewing rooms are also very charming. It offers s relatively good price especially on low season.
But! the stuff is terrible. Very rude and annoying. Once you pay the money for the room, you completely face with someone else, rude and bad attitude!
Before we rent the room we specifically asked about the wifi, because we needed it very much to arrange the rest of our trip. And we were told that wi-fi is available every where (inc. the rooms) in the resort. Right after we rent the room, we requested the wi-fi password and the lady who is in charge, told us that wi-fi is very slow and even sometimes don't work!! We thought maybe it was a temporary problem. But it was not! We stayed there 5 days and we never had wi-fi. We were very upset about being lied and went to the reception to talked about the problem couple of times but every time, we faced that rude lady who was almost about to yell us and who kept telling that she can not do anything about the connection problem.
we can ofcourse live without wifi, especially when there are many cafes around who provide it for free but we don't think we should be dealing with stupid lies and such a rude attitude of the stuff!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ozgunzuzu
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The owner is pretty crazy, maybe look for a place near by, we like the room, was very comfortable, the price was fair and it was a clean place to stay. The restaurant was a bit expensive, never clean the room, at the end we noticed that you can leave the key in the office and then they will clean it but we were never told that. The place outside looks very nice since it's well cared. It's only the staff that makes it go low average!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends