“Hard to beat Monkey Flower. Could not recommend it more highly”

Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Me and my wife spent 3 nights in the bougainvillea at Monkey Flower villas from 22nd to 25th November 2012. (it should have been 5 nights but our travel agent messed up with the flight/ferry timings). It was the last leg in a 4 stop trip in Thailand.

We left the best accommodation for last as we wanted to end the holiday in a really nice, relaxing place. We could not have chosen better.

From the minute we arrived in Koh Tao, the whole experience was fantastic.
Lincoln picked us up from the ferry pier, and insisted that if we needed to go anywhere, he would take us.

We are pretty independent and didn't want to ask too much from him, but he said he would be offended if we didn't. He gave us a mobile phone to call him whenever, wherever, if we needed anything. He genuinely was at our beck and call.
He even picked us up from a bar in Sairee village at 2am on our last night in torrential rain when we were pretty drunk!

We wanted to hire a motorbike to explore ourselves (which we did - a lot - after the 1st day).
No need - Lincoln gave us the use of a moped (for free) for the time we were there. Not in pristine condition but fine for it's purpose.
The roads in Koh Tao vary from paved to very rough tracks.
I ride a motorbike myself - for less experienced riders, I would think twice before using this type of transport.

The bougainvillea was fantastic - like a 'fantasy cottage'.
Each of the villas are cleverly separated around bends in the road so they are completely private. The views were breathtaking, especially from the 'infinity' pool which was just amazing.
It has a waterfall which you can switch on/off, and even some multi-coloured lights for when it gets dark. The villa is built around tall palm trees and the interior of the villa is incorporated into
some huge rocks - totally original, amazing. Has to be seen to be believed.
Satellite tv with loads of channels, though we hardly used it.
Loads of space for 2 people. 2 double bedrooms and a 'loft bedroom' up a ladder for extra lodgers.

Koh Tao is completely charming. Totally different atmosphere to Koh Phi Phi (where we had come from). I prefer Koh Tao - it seemed more organised and there was much better infrastructure than Koh Phi Phi.

Despite getting only 3 nights for 5 due our agent messing up, Monkry Flower Villa was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.
We don't often return to places we have visited, but this would definitely be an exception for me.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank globalwise
lincsong, Owner at Monkey Flower Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you very, very much for writing such a great Tripadvisor review of Monkey Flower Villas! I am very sorry that it has taken me so long to write this (and other) responses... I have not been looking at Tripadvisor for too long, so I did not know there were so many fantastic reviews that I had not responded to yet... Please forgive me. I still remember you and your very good energy. It was a pleasure to have you as our very special guests, and I hope that you will be back again as soon as possible!

There are newer reviews for Monkey Flower Villas

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from spending Christmas and New Years with some family on koh Tao, myself and 3 others stayed in the bougainvillea here and I have to say this was the most amazing holiday I've had in years, the villa is beautiful with stunning views and a stunning infinity pool where you can sunbathe and relax.
Lincoln and his family are really friendly and brought us a nice big fruit basket on Christmas Day! Steve the driver was the most genuinely friendly guy I've ever met he couldn't do enough to help us from being at our bec and call for drop offs and pick ups, to when one of our party was ill and couldn't come out on a day trip Steve took her a fresh sandwich and some DVDs to watch! He even organised me a massage at the villa so i didnt have to go out! Definatly will stay here again! Best place on koh Tao to stay and close to everything.

Lisa and Tom :-)

• Stayed: December 2012

Lisa & Tom,
Thank you very, very much for sharing your very positive experience with all the Tripadvisor review readers... I am sorry that it has taken me so long to respond... It was a huge pleasure to have you as our very special guests during Christmas time last year, that is my favorite time on Koh Tao, and it was great to share it with you. Steve says, "hello"... We all hope that you can come back to Koh Tao sometime soon!
Lincoln, Woonsen, Max, Music, Steve, & Nana

Reviewed December 8, 2012

All i can say is if you go to koh Tao you don't need to look for anywhere to stay apart from here.
thank you so much Lincoln for the best welcome we had in our 2 week stay in thailand,you were so helpful along with steve - nothing to much to ask - at anytime of the day or night, shame the weather was not better - i really cant wait to get back here. AMAZING - from wayne dan and george (uk)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Wayne, Dan, & George,
Sorry for my late response, but I want to thank you so, so much for posting such a high recommendation for Monkey Flower Villas, on your Tripadvisor review!!! We really enjoyed having all of you, and hope that you will be back again soon!!!
Lincoln, Woonsen, Steve, and the kids

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We arrived for one night to monkey flower villa. We stayed at the "Upper villa" that is just stunning! The villa has the Most beautiful scenery in all of koh tao!
Lincoln is an amazing man who loves to give and wants to do everything to make you happy! I wish we would have stayed there longer!

• Stayed: November 2012
lincsong, Owner at Monkey Flower Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Thank you so, so much for the really wonderful Tripadvisor review! Short, but very sweet!!! It is always our pleasure to help make your stay as memorable and fun as possible, and very nice to be noticed when we do. Please come back again soon!
Lincoln and everyone at Monkey Flower Villas

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Amazing Swimming Pool, Amazing view, Amazing Sound System.
The owner is so friendly and a very funny Californian Guy.
Excellent.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+

I want to live there forever!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mario S

Thank you, thank you, thank you... Your wonderful Tripadvisor review gives us all a smile! You are AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We booked this as a treat after staying in a hellish place in Koh Phang Nan. Due to the price we only stayed one night as for Thailand it is on the pricey side. But where else in the world can you get a private villa with your own pool and driver for that price?!Also there were 2 of us in a villa with 2 bedrooms and so if you split between 4 its pretty cheap. Nai, the driver, is the star of this place. He will pick you up whenever you want and take you wherever you want to go. Nothing was too much trouble for Nai and the owners, Lincoln and his wife. We were having trouble finding a place to stay and Lincoln's mother and Nai drove us to pretty much every hotel in town to try and find somewhere! We absolutely loved this place and have nothing bad to say about it at all. I plan to go back to Koh Tao one day and I will definitely come back here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Sorry for my very late response to your lovely Tripadvisor review of Monkey Flower Villas... Unfortunately, Nai is not working with us anymore, but we have a fantastic new driver (and member of the Monkey Flower Family!), Steve, so next time you are on Koh Tao, I hope that you will stay with us again, and try out your new, "Man-about-town"... Thank you very much for taking the time to share your good experiences at Monkey Flower Villas with the world!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here in May 2012 for 5 days which was nearly not long enough!

We were met by the wonderful Nai who collected us from the ferry and took us to the upper villa via a trip to the local supermarket. (Tip - try and bring as much provisions/essentials as possible as the supermarket was expensive).

We had a great stay on the upper villa which had its private pool overlooking the beautiful bay. The villa was set in a stunning location and had everything you would need - satellite TV, kitchen area, power shower and air con. Lincoln was quite a character and was great - even though my original booking via another website was poorly managed, Lincoln came to the rescue and from even before we booked to check out - he was on hand, as was Nai, for everything we needed.

Nai is a great asset to this resort, he was welcoming, always had a smile and there wasnt a thing he wouldnt or couldnt sort for us. He knew some great places to visit for snorkelling (lincoln even let us borrow his equipment) and use of the mobile phone was a great idea and was fantastic as ours didnt work too well!

Nai's driving skills were fantastic, and although the jeep doesnt look as if it will get you far - it does its job well and negotiates the steep hill to Monkey Flower well with Nai's assistance :)

We had a great stay and only wish that we had stayed longer. Monkey Flower is a gem and Lincoln should be very proud of what he has acheived here - hopefully it wont be too long before we are able to return. Thanks Lincoln & Nai.
Dayan & Michael

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dayan & Michael,
I am sorry for my late response to your very wonderful Tripadvisor review. We are very proud of or little place, and our customer service, and it is always very nice to be noticed and appreciated... Thank you! One reason it has taken me so long to get back to you is that our little girl was born on July 21st, 2012... We are getting back I to the swing of things again, so I am finally able to send this thank you message. I hope that you will come back some day, and we can have some more time to hang out...
Lincoln, Woonsen, Max, Music, & Nana